Topic: Windshield near cleveland

Can anyone more competent than me that's near Cleveland come remove the donor car windshield and place it intact on the K?

I'd just call a safelight but well, we did, and they want $500. To quote the spray-paint on the windshield "Thx DC Doug".

So can anyone do a windshield swap? We got the old one mostly out, but not without a lot of cracks and breaks.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Re: Windshield near cleveland

tl;dr: try 65# [or more] SpiderWire braided fishing line, HF double edge Japanese style hand saw.

I recently removed a shattered windshield. That was enough to pay someone to get a clean one from the local U-pull-it - where they also have a part removal service(!), and in particular a glass expert. A clean, good windshield cost $75, and the removal cost $20.

ABSOLUTE BEST $20 I've spent in - I can't remember how long!

I did that because I needed to get the car inspected in PA, and I needed it done quickly. And the windshield was on their car in their lot.

By the way, forget the HarborFreight cold knife - the one I got was a complete waste of time. Not tempered well, not long enough; the shaft twisted in the first 8" I cut.

If I had a little more time, I would have tried the fishing line technique on a clean windshield at the U-pull-it. That's the 'wrap it completely around the perimeter of the windshield, underneath the glass on the outside, stick both ends through the sealant [using whatever method doesn't crack the glass], tie one end to the steering wheel, wrap the other end around an extension on a ratchet, and pull smoothly. There's YouTube video of someone [purportedly] successful with the technique.

On the removal of the shattered windshield, I used 65# test weight braided Spiderwire line I got at K-mart for about $15. I looked for the 100# recommended weight.

Each crack cut the line. But I easily got through 3/4 of the urethane sealant on the windshield in about 20 min. of steady pulling and ratcheting the slack. Pretty much steady through each section not cracked.  After it was out, it looked like what I removed was the third windshield on the car, based on the sealant levels.

I had the biggest problems on the bottom of the windshield, where there was uneven metal and the sealant was about 1.75" deep edge to interior; the A piller was maybe 1/8" to 1/4".

What helped me get through the bottom was a HarborFreight flexible wood finishing saw, the Japanese style saw - the one with the long handle [about $10] [link]:

https://m.harborfreight.com/10-inch-jap … 67058.html

I hope this helps.

Yea the HF cold knife was crap. At least the Blade it came with sure was. Doesn't help that they put the T handle on the wrong side of the blade. But still it did not hold up.

We used a guitar string for most of the rest of the old windshield, but I just Do NOT have the confidence to try it on the one good windshield we have. As a K Car from the 1980's you can't just swing by a Pull-A-Part for a windshield and with it's drop off point being the end of the month ordering an over $100 replacement is not an option.

Nobody near Cleveland has the know how to do the job while keeping the donor windshield in one piece?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

FWIW, I watched a professional shadetree mechanic use what lookd like a flexible metal spatula or putty knife without the handle and that was hoseclamped/taped onto a nub of a sawzall blade and a bottle of spray soap and from the inside of the car, outside stripping removed, go to town alternatively spraying the windshield and using the spatula on the sawzall to poke in and out at the gummy glue and working his way around the  whole windscreen. This was on a 2008 Prius. He was done in less than 5 minutes.

Impressed me enough to try it.  Some day.