1 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2019-01-17 11:08 AM)

Topic: 1997Volvo850, NA,Auto,210k [ch. to:]$300 Phoenixville PA[run&drive]

Complete, clean title. Starts, runs, drives; has the 'Sport' tranny setting, and winter traction control. Leather seats, alloy wheels, maroon, same size but different tires, sunroof which works, and doesn't leak. Last year's battery. I'm just looking for a little better than junkyard value right now. RockAuto fan.

Monster heater and A/C.

To pass PA inspection:
More work on the driver's side wiper - it doesn't sweep the left side in front of the driver.
I bought a LF wheel bearing assembly, which I haven't yet installed, because LF bearing. I believe it also needs RR bearing, which likely means all around to make it nice.
Probably brakes because of the wheel bearings, likely rotors as well.
Driver's window front support track has broken off; fixing looks like a new door, because the track is welded to what looks like support brackets inside the door; not easy to get to.
I think it has a varistor for the dash panel lights - it's intermittent - to: not working most of the time.
Fabric of the headliner has fallen and I haven't yet put more thumbtacks into it.
Probably at least one newer tire.
Maybe an exhaust clamp.

Other stuff it needs:
It uses some oil. I'm told it needs valve stem seals; they're in the glove compartment.
Seeps coolant: I can smell it at times in the car.
Driver's  seat heating doesn't work, pass's does.
Def/heat/floor selector is iffy, but can change output.

Re: 1997Volvo850, NA,Auto,210k [ch. to:]$300 Phoenixville PA[run&drive]

I case you were interested (doubt you are) the solutions to you issues are likely as follows:

"It uses some oil. I'm told it needs valve stem seals; they're in the glove compartment." more likely needs PCV service (involved, bits are about $150)
"Seeps coolant: I can smell it at times in the car."  If not visible on the ground outside it is heater core or the "coupler" that attaches the core to the firewall with the heater hoses on the other side.
"Def/heat/floor selector is iffy, but can change output" 70% of the time it is a cracked vac hose, 20% of the time a bad vac actuator, 10% it if the climate control head itself and they are CHEAP on ebay.

Best of the FWD Volvos...if it were a manual.

Re: 1997Volvo850, NA,Auto,210k [ch. to:]$300 Phoenixville PA[run&drive]

[adjusting price to $300]]

Good advice, thank you. You're correct, though, I'm over it.

Too many other vehicles to fix and sell. I'm currently driving a 2002 Accord 4cyl. VTEC auto with 300k+, and I like it better than the Volvo [though that Accord manual tranny in the junkyard is still calling my name...].

I will admit: since I replaced the alternator [junkyard] and battery, the Volvo is basically bulletproof, in that it just keeps going. There's just too much work to get it inspected, but I'm thinking everything wrong would probably be stripped out for a racecar anyway.