Topic: New team - WTB(borrow or buy?) tubing bender/notcher - SF bay area

Hi all,

New team here, looking to install a cage in our lemon so we can come out and play!

We've got a highish mileage integra (260k+) that we've taken to a number of HPDEs last year and had a pretty good time fixing the issues that come from tracking an older higher mileage car... But we bought the car with the intent of racing in Lemons/LD/etc. So it's time to put in a cage and seat.

I'm a fairly competent welder and fabricator, and as such I'll be installing the cage in our car. We initially planned on buying a tube bender and notcher, but given the cost of nice equipment it seems like it makes more sense to buy a kit from one of the known vendors (RCC/SW/RRC/etc).

I was about to click buy when I realized maybe one of you folks has a tube bender you would be willing to loan us (or sell?) or maybe even just help us bend the tubes we need. The car is stored in Mountain View, and my shop space is in Redwood City, but we're willing to bring the car or ourselves to the east bay or San Jose (or further?) if needed.

Here's hoping one of you all can help us join the fray!
Best,
Geoff

Lemons Rally (Monterey Car Weeeeeak) 2017 - MoostangRally - @moostangrally
Lemons Rally (Monterey Car Weeeeeak) 2018 "Winner on Points" - Moostang 2: A Saab Story - @93bsaabstories
Lemons Rally (Monterey Car Weeeeeak) 2019 - Volvo 122s - @flightofthemoostang

Re: New team - WTB(borrow or buy?) tubing bender/notcher - SF bay area

I'm not using mine for a couple of months.
It's in Concord or Vallejo.
I have a notcher, bender, and 1.75" dies.
I'm gone until next Friday 01/25, but you can get them after that.
I might be persuaded to loan you some of the other tools that make life easier, too. I have a few.

1.75" is bigger than you need, but safer than 1.5" 
We had a discussion here a couple months ago about this.

Shoot me an email through the forum if you're interested.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Thanks for the offer!  I sent you a reply via forum email, but I will be out of cell service until Monday evening so I wont be able to reply again until then.

Lemons Rally (Monterey Car Weeeeeak) 2018 "Winner on Points" - Moostang 2: A Saab Story - @93bsaabstories

I can bend you everything custom, you or I supply the tube, and you can bring it all home and weld it.  I've done this for many teams.   Inexpensive and accurate... Bring the car and help me and we can have it all bent in 2 hours. 

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Evil Genius wrote:

I can bend you everything custom, you or I supply the tube, and you can bring it all home and weld it.  I've done this for many teams.   Inexpensive and accurate... Bring the car and help me and we can have it all bent in 2 hours. 

-John

Shut up and give John your money!

6 (edited by gesso 2019-02-27 06:50 PM)

I took the car to John last week and we cut, bent, and tack welded the cage in place. I got to learn a whole lot about cage building by helping John do everything and am really glad I went this way for our first cage build.

I suspect that if I had borrowed a bender/notcher I would still be trying to fit things and a bit concerned that I did it right. Instead, I'm almost done welding and soon we can focus on more important things, like car decorations!

I still very much appreciate DelinquentRacer's offer, and I might go that way next time we build a car smile