Re: K Komeback

EyeMWing wrote:

I've got her from point of initial roadworthiness......

Pffffffffffff!!!! PA roadworthiness or Ohio "Roadworthiness"?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:
EyeMWing wrote:

Well, he did say, " ... in _Scranton_ to Barber.", so shall we just consider that it's in northern Alabama?

Guildenstern wrote:

Oh my, do we not Know if Anyone is taking it from barber?

NSF Bob agreed to take it home from Barber a few months ago. Might want to remind him that this is actually happening before they load up the caravan from Florida next week.

If he changes his mind, I’ll take it... :-)

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...
'86 Toyota MR2 (needs engine)

SpaceFrank wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

NSF Bob agreed to take it home from Barber a few months ago. Might want to remind him that this is actually happening before they load up the caravan from Florida next week.

I would remind him, but he never got in touch with me, and hasn't been on the forum because FaceBook.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Plugs are plugged in, now gotta hunt down some missing angry pixies but it turns over, horn works, turn signal clicker clicks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs4DlPhgkgg … hare_sheet

Guildenstern wrote:
EyeMWing wrote:

Neither. Maryland Historic roadworthiness.

Which means little more than "Has a title, an insurance policy, and $51"

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Guildenstern wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

I would remind him, but he never got in touch with me, and hasn't been on the forum because FaceBook.

I yelled in his direction on Facebook.

Team FinalGear

It has been pointed out by my better half that there are a few things I don't know about this thing which I should:

Does this car have tires that won't kill me and stand a chance in hell at surviving another 2000 mile ordeal?
Does it even have a heater? I mean, I assume it did when they did the Checker/K/AMG wagon trip, otherwise SURELY someone would have died.

Prepared!™

Team FinalGear

I take it Maryland "historic" doesn't need an inspection? Because first time registration of anything normal usually involves an inspection that is rather comprehensive...

Oh, I didn't know you guys swapped it back to a four banger.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

EyeMWing wrote:

It has been pointed out by my better half that there are a few things I don't know about this thing which I should:

Does this car have tires that won't kill me and stand a chance in hell at surviving another 2000 mile ordeal?
Does it even have a heater? I mean, I assume it did when they did the Checker/K/AMG wagon trip, otherwise SURELY someone would have died.

Prepared!™

Yes it has tires that should be safer than not. At least two snows and a couple basic not race tires.

I don't think the donor car wheels will fit on the big front brakes. But you'll have lots of options since all the wheels will be going with you and so there will always be a spare!

It does not have any form of heater. I don't know what madness they did on the trip out to California, but between then and now that stuff is gone, gone, gone. But since It also has no Insulation, it's not like a heater is going to do much for you. I would advise the biggest plug in seat heater pad you can get, bundle up, and know thanks to Happy Jack, you won't be the coldest person driving a K car in the rally. You'll probably want one of those electric defroster fan things that go on the dash too. Basically Big Truck Stops will be your friend.

Also this thing is full of holes. The Closer you keep the heat to yourself the better because it's gonna have drafts. And with an un-padded aluminum seat, it's gonna suck the heat out of you.

Good news is it has the less crappy alternator. (for a given value of less) and you'll have 2 power ports on two diffrent fuses.

The plan is to drive up Monday night and stay at the Sleep In then hand you over to your fate in the morning at the rally Start.

fiasco wrote:

I take it Maryland "historic" doesn't need an inspection? Because first time registration of anything normal usually involves an inspection that is rather comprehensive...

"Technically" the car never left Maryland since the title never got transferred out of Sasha's possession.

Maverick74 wrote:

Oh, I didn't know you guys swapped it back to a four banger.

Well given the engine was gone, the whole of the harness was gone and or shredded, and that Bob's plan is to gut all that anyways to do something crazy. The easiest solution was to just do a full powertrain transplant with a full harness.

And once we track down our mystery grounds tomorrow we should be good to start buttoning up and failing at swapping the windshield. Justin got it starting to fire while he was futzing with stuff today, but all he knows is he was leaning on bits of the harness inside the car trying to get the fuel pump to buzz.

Oddly it seems to work when the turn signal is on? So probably some ground we're forgetting or some weird ground that goes through a component or some madness. We'll find out tomorrow and hope to have a video of the crappy thing wheezing for everyone.

Guildenstern wrote:

... thanks to Happy Jack, you won't be the coldest person driving a K car in the rally.

Hey! I resemble that remark. Must be something about K cars that brings forth a certain kind of crazy. A certain Lee Iacocca-ness.
But hey, they say misery loves company. We can swap spare parts.

2019 Retreat from Moscow: Random Acts of Stupidity "winner"

You're going to have spare parts?

Team FinalGear

Runs now. Anyone know what the yellow "Buzzer control" box completely does? it seems to be out funky part but not sure if it drops voltage or anything

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs9tCiigwMt … hare_sheet.

Watched vid
Most likely, Big vacuum leak or map sensor, less likely items can be mentioned if it is neither

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

It has a very big vacuum leak, in that none of the vacuum lines are connected at all.

Or the radiator, or much else that wasn’t part of a basic start up test.

Don't overlook pulling codes from the ECM (or whatever Chrysler calls it) to help with the diagnosis.

I did so (when it was running the Mitsu V6) and it worked fine.

(The fact that it self-identified as a diesel seemed a bit off but whatever...)

ECM works fine when it's getting the signal to turn on. there's some odd bit in the behind the dash wiring that seems to either feed it regulated power, or grounds something necessary when the key is put in run.

What we know is when we Smack the crap out of this thing:

https://i.imgur.com/nRDWgkV.jpg

Part # 4373067 58301

we can get the computer to engage the ignition and fuel pump when the key is set to run or start. Let it sit for a bit, or disconnect it and nothing past the "Auto Stop Solenoid" is energized. Which is Fuel Pump, Ignition, and Injector. The computer thinks the key is in Accessory without whatever that thing is doing.

What we NEED TO KNOW is is it just a ground pass through issue, or is it feeding regulated Voltage to the instrument cluster and from there the ECM, and If so, what voltage that is.

That and how to swap a windshield without breaking it. But I guess we'll just have to wing it......

Oh and what the hell all the Mazda Pickup truck parts was doing in the K, and can we get rid of them because there's a LOT of tires and wheels it needs to take with it.

I'm hours away from home yet but if you don't have an answer by then I'll dig into Mitchell and see what if anything the spotty 80s wiring diagram collection it has holds.

Team FinalGear

Preliminary information I'm getting from very sparse google results is that that thing is literally just buzzer chimes.

Which suggests something critical on the ignition circuit grounds through it. I sure as hell wouldn't design it so that that it's a critical component, so I'd tend to suspect there's another ground loose somewhere.

But this IS Chrysler.

Team FinalGear

Are you sure when you slap the buzzer you're not also imparting a force on some other part of the harness or dash?

I think earlier in this thread (or one of the other ones) someone said Chris O. fielded a Mazda B-series truck at the same race where he ran the K in 2014. So that's probably where those parts came from. I doubt he misses them after all this time.

100 (edited by BigBird 2019-01-23 04:39 PM)

Guildenstern wrote:

Oh and what the hell all the Mazda Pickup truck parts was doing in the K, and can we get rid of them because there's a LOT of tires and wheels it needs to take with it.

The beast was living at Chris Overzet's house for a while.....Chris was running a Mazda P/U for a time.
I wouldn't be surprised if some spare Mazda parts ended up in the rolling dumpster that is the K........
{I can say that,as I have experienced the misery of driving/working on it......)

Edit: Dammit Frank.....I guess I should type faster.....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)