So on the window thing... if all my glass
Is rolled down in my door, I’m ok?   Trying to
Figure out future storage, so I’d like to keep some
Glass...   what’s says all ya’ll??

Team Captain - Questionable Compression Racing
1992 Merc-B 400E "Benz Green Machine"
total noobs....

Re: Window rulez

yes. I've run several different cars like that-- you just need to make sure you have door cards on the interior or some sort of seal so that if the windows break within the door that glass bits won't fly out of the door cavity and injure the driver.

I've always had glass in my cars because they live outside. Stock door, meaning I didn't cut any metal out of it. It's not 100% sealed, but the openings are small and limited. Never had any issues at tech.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Why? I thought that glass had to be removed? If you get hard that door panel is going to pop right off and that glass is going to go everywhere.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:

Why? I thought that glass had to be removed? If you get hard that door panel is going to pop right off and that glass is going to go everywhere.

Nowhere does it say glass must be removed. It says your front windows must be open. As long as you haven't gutted your door skins, there is a barrier that will retain most of the glass if anything should happen. Plus automotive glass is designed to shatter in a specific way to make it less dangerous than other glass. It's not giant razor blades, it's smaller pieces with much less mass and therefore less energy. I've been next to a car window when it broke and had the pieces come at me (on the street, not racing). Nothing bad happened.

again, some of us store our cars outside, in places like new england where weather is varied and we don't want our cars flooding and freezing, especially ours with all the damn computers required to run it. That's the reason to keep the glass.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

3.J.9 Glass, Headlights, and Taillights. All glass windshields or windows must be OE-type automotive laminated or tempered glass. Driver’s- and passenger’s-side front windows must be removed, or left open behind fully encasing door panels.

Side windows do not have to be removed, just rolled down behind a door panel. Them's the rules straight from the horse's mouth.

The Pentastar whisperer

Rulez are hard

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Before we had a shop to store our car inside, it had to live outside like many others.  We removed all the windows and simply covered it with a tarp, then a cheap car cover, which was held in place with ratchet straps.  It survived lots of rain and even a hurricane with no damage.

Glass is heavy.  Race cars are supposed to be light, or at least I like mine to be.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I've taken almost 1K of weight out of this w124 and it's pretty snappy. At this point I'll leave the window hardware and have the weather proofing.  I think I'm more worried about finishing than 60 lbs.   If I'm running that well, then I'll plan on trying to qualify for WEC.  and yes, rulez are hard.....

Team Captain - Questionable Compression Racing
1992 Merc-B 400E "Benz Green Machine"
total noobs....

VKZ24 wrote:

Before we had a shop to store our car inside, it had to live outside like many others.  We removed all the windows and simply covered it with a tarp, then a cheap car cover, which was held in place with ratchet straps.  It survived lots of rain and even a hurricane with no damage.

Glass is heavy.  Race cars are supposed to be light, or at least I like mine to be.

+1  All of our cars have been totally gutted and stored outdoors under a tarp, in heavy NH woods.  3 cars, 9 years, 26 races not an issue.  Before the winter, we do remove the belts, extinguisher and seat cushions and put a package of mothballs under the driver seat and in the engine bay.  I can't think of anything that would be damaged after the interior is 100% gone.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

It's different with modern cars. The Saab has like 6 computers in the cabin, all of which are not water tight. And all of the car covers I've used in the past were not 100% water tight. So we keep the glass, and weather stripping, and all the rest of it, so the car will seal up nice and water tight. Losing that little bit of weight from the windows is not going to make us win, so why bother.

just our philosophy, yours may differ.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

I would definitely not race with glass. Though others do. That shit makes a mess when it brakes. I replaced rear windows  on our cars with used plexiglas / left over lexan cost was free for one car and 40ish bucks for the other. Totally worth it in the name of safety.  Front windows get held up with 1x 10mm headed bolt run through a nut welded to the door For transport/storage.

Owner/Captain of The 27 Club E46. Phoenix, AZ
and now the #95 Thunderbird

Sexy jesus wrote:

That shit makes a mess when it brakes.

Does brake early or late?  We have a drive that could use this!  More glass for us!

I recommend that you do race without the front windows..   Make a clip system that retains the glass for storage, usually pretty easy,  a couple of s shaped or hook shaped pieces of metal and you're done...   Also, if you story your car outside, remove the harnesses so they don't get sun damaged... 

John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'