Topic: Main hoop over the roof?

Hi everyone

Cursed with a tall driver, we're looking at building cage main hoop and halo just over the top of our t-top car roof line.

Not ideal, but is that a tech fail? Can't see anything in the rules that says no.

(Beheading could have solved the problem, but the tall driver ain't keen.)

Thnx for input

Jimble

Re: Main hoop over the roof?

Exo cages are totally common.

My son built one on his DelSol and has been racing it in Lemons for years. Only caution is that the halo can not extend far enough out toward the driver door if you are not careful.

Gives you a good place to mount a luggage rack.

Seriously, though, some lower the seat pan so the cage can stay inside.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

How tall? We are all 6'1"1+ and we fit fine (88 Trans Am). You could cut the roof off and the re-attach it to the halo. Our seat is almost on the floor. You can take at least 5-6" out by getting rid of the seat track. We use 2x4's and steel srtips..but we are all about the same height so we don't need to move the seat between drivers.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:

How tall? We are all 6'1"1+ and we fit fine (88 Trans Am). You could cut the roof off and the re-attach it to the halo. Our seat is almost on the floor. You can take at least 5-6" out by getting rid of the seat track. We use 2x4's and steel srtips..but we are all about the same height so we don't need to move the seat between drivers.

I really hope the 2x4s are not a structural part of your seat mounting...
And inside available height is different per car and set of drivers. I'm 5'7", and my brother is 6'1", but seated he's only 1.5" taller than me, his height is all his legs. My 6' tall brother in law however is mostly torso and much taller when seated. In our old Daytona we had the seat on the damn floor with the cage professionally tucked to the roof, and we were all super close to the limit. Not all cars are the same.

Cages outside are common, and allowed. Just pay attention to angles of other bars coming off it. Run the plans past HQ before you execute so they can sign off on it or point out areas to change. The advantage to outside cages is that you don't need to mount your seat in the depths of hell, which often limits your vision out of the car.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

FYI, an alternative is to just have one center bar that goes outside.

Thanks for replies everyone. Glad we weren't missing something obvious in rules.

Engineer - yep, seeing out fo the car is the real problem. Would be able to sink / rake back seat juuust enough to get the tall one right on 2" below top of an internal cage, but that puts eye line too low - unable to see any road closer than about 40yds in front of car.