Re: K Komeback

You might get to help work on it at Barber, depending on how much breaks between now and then.

Two Slant 6 A bodies AND the K all in the same place at a Lemons race!?

Be still my beating heart!! :-)

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...
'86 Toyota MR2 (needs engine)

And hey, it’s the 2.5 so basically a derrivative of the slant 6.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

So on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/k_it_again/ K_It_Again Justin has posted some picures from our drop off. Tony has aparrently been transported to some nether realm and is lost to the ages.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Was fun (and horrible) while it lasted. The K comes for your sanity but leaves a hole in your soul after it finds its next target.

Good luck Tony. And good luck to anyone who encounters the K. May whatever deity you believe in have mercy on you. wink

88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!"
Touched by the K-car

The fact that the Family Truckster LeBaron hasn't posted in hours may be indicative of the K being right back in form. They were Buddying up with Tony.

132 (edited by Guildenstern 2019-01-29 03:01 PM)

Annnd it's broke!

And the first tow vehicle is broke.

The K is already back in form.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtO9HauhiIc/

I think we forgot to plug the speedo cable hole.....So it may be fix able,

Mmm... Powerful, sinister evil, this is.
Infects anything connected to it, it does.
Including tow vehicles....

Now, matters are worse...

You are doing the lord's work.  I guess.

OAUN -- what remaining Mazda B truck parts you got?

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

Sure the dark lords work.

Theres a shifter. 2 rusty new brake calipers, a clutch kit un-opened but slightly rusty, some badges, gaskets that may be the mazdas? Brake hoses that may be mazdas. An air filter box. Some cone filters, lots of random crap.

Thats what I can remeber anyways.

So EyeMWing switched to a BRZ and the radio died. The K-orruption spreads.

I didn’t get to see the K here at Barber. Did it make it?

What’s the latest?

Off-Kilter Racing

No Idea. I THINK it’s still with the broken tow rig at EyeMWing’s place, with the intention of it being dragged down to Bob at some point?

I know he finished the rally in his BRZ and so is probably still getting back home and back to reality.

At this point EyeMWing is the “owner” so it’s all him.

139 (edited by EyeMWing 2019-02-04 05:07 PM)

I live.

Assuming the weather cooperates this weekend, I'll get it down off the tow rig and see about that speedometer hole.

The general timeline of events went like this:
- 0 minutes of driving. "This is not good."
- 10 minutes of driving "This is VERY not good. I'm just going to make for Pittsburgh."
- 15 minutes of driving, 1 fluid top-up "I'm going to make for Pittsburgh via I-81 and I-76 so I'm pointed vaguely towards my house and shop and tools.
- 30 minutes of driving, "This is actually dangerously bad"
- 60 minutes of driving, 2 fluid top-ups, "I am going to die if I do not stop."
- 90 minutes of driving, probably about 60 miles, "Eff this I'm stopping"

It wasn't too cold. Or even particularly uncomfortable. Getting in/out was a disaster because my leg needs to occupy the same space as a door bar and the steering wheel. Sawzalling out the door bar absolutely would have happened if I'd kept going. The ATF consumption was alarmingly fast, but manageable. The effective lack of power steering would have been manageable on any roads but snow-covered.

No, the real problem was the absolutely astonishing amount of stuff in the car. In order to get my luggage in (survival rations, basic tools and enough clean underwear for 4 days) I literally had to get another team to take some tires. It blocks all rearward visibility, blocks almost all SIDEWAYS visibility, and seems to just about triple the weight of the car. In a vehicle that's as slow as this one is with all that weight, rear and right are the directions you spend the most time looking.

I have half a mind to go through it and document all the shit ya'll think is essential for a town pump racecar. It seems like every single good-ish takeoff part it ever had are in there somewhere.

Because for this car, the necessary supplies in my mind look like:
1) 1 oil fill
2) 1 ATF fill
3) 1 set brake pads
4) 1 set rotors
5) 1 set shocks. MAYBE.
6) 1 set axles
7) Hand tool set
8) Electrical tool set + bodge parts
9) race tires (versus road tires)
10) Documentation

A set of tires will fit between the rear backstays. I know this because there are like SIX OF THEM there.
The fluids and the rest will fit UNDERNEATH the backstays and in the spare tire well.

I literally can't even comprehend what the hell else is in there. At minimum I saw a transmission and what looked like an intake manifold, and those were MINOR DETAILS in the hellclutter.

An argument can be made for a transmission. Hell, an argument can be made for an entire engine.
Why in the name of god would you need a spare intake manifold!?

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Plan at this point is vaguely "Sasha is going to Florida later this month so he'll take it then".

I am personally lobbying for "Sasha brings his sawzall up and we reduce the car to small commemorative pieces which can be distributed to everyone who wants one".

Team FinalGear

I’ll take it... or a piece... whatever...

You’ve started the “K Awakening”... dont give up yet.

Off-Kilter Racing

Don't let Sasha cut it up, or any grumpy bacon chefs who wear their underwear on the outside light it on fire. If it can't make it down to Florida or NSF won't take it, we'll figure something else out. Please email me via the forum before anything terrible happens so we can make other arrangements. The K has more friends than may have made themselves known yet.

Also, what's the status of the commie hood? Is the K still wearing it, or did it get the hood from the parts car?

I’m sure a group of dedicated Slant Sixers can help save the K if it’s about to be given up on again. I’m in!

Off-Kilter Racing

SpaceFrank wrote:

Also, what's the status of the commie hood? Is the K still wearing it, or did it get the hood from the parts car?

Hood made its way out west to the original artists. Guildenstern was nice enough to haul it out there for them. We installed the donor hood on the car, with a little bit of heavy adjustment to make it match the unique slant of the frame.

As for all the stuff, that was all the stuff that was K related. It was a lot, but I still have truck parts and other nonsense in my garage. I have an entire 3.3 v6 there too! Be thankful we didn't put it all in wink

88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!"
Touched by the K-car

Yea the K's parts need a winnowing. But given that this was an abandonment rescue there was no direct line of lineage either previous owner or next owner so I made sure they had all the things it should have had on it. I didn't want to be the guy who threw out all the V6 parts people worked at to get in the car. I figured the almighty BOB would be the best person to make the call for where the K would be going as far as modifications/throwing crap out it doesn't need anymore. He never got in touch with me even though I reached out multiple times through multiple channels, so in the back it all went.

Same reason I fabricobbled a passenger engine mount out of both the V6 and I4 engine mount so as not to tear up the V6 engine mount bracket so lovingly welded into where the old bracket used to be.

As for space.....Well I did the 7+ day RT-66 rally with one 40L duffel bag and a laptop bag in a Miata so I may have underestimated other people's space needs.

Just the cage alone would have been acceptable to say Eff the whole endeavor, or "Hand me that sawzall" Because the whole thing is probably gonna need to be ripped out and re done, and save for the very short and skinny was a death trap if you had to get out in any kind of emergency. I couldn't even get in the thing. 3 Months and I NEVER got to drive it. But hey, The Door Trim is still intact so........Race Car Priorities?

The Kurse is however a very real and expected part of the K. You either give it all your love/hate and attention or it will make your life miserable. The sooner you can get it square or dis-possess yourself of it, the better off you'll be.

Also it really needs some kind of travel tire rack on the roof, those just suck up way too much of the interior space.

Ah, I can get out of it in a hurry. It's getting in and getting out in a manner that's painless enough to be repeatable that's the problem. Didn't it have a detatchable steering wheel at some point? I remember the world's sloppiest steering QD in some car back in that era.

As much as I'd love to kill it, I can't. Everyone who isn't in immediate contact with the damned thing loves it for some reason, myself included (hell, I also hated it the first two times I had to deal with the POS).

Assuming the forecast holds, I'll take a look at her this weekend.

As to my voluminous luggage, yeah, I was way less efficient than I needed to be because I applied the logic "K wagon is approximately the same size as Legacy wagon, so the same kit should fit with plenty of room to spare!"

Because I'm an idiot.

Team FinalGear

Aside from the big trans leak, what made it feel, "This is actually dangerously bad"?

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

I think it did, but for some reason that was replaced with a fixed column before I got it. No Idea why.

Team Infinniti wrote:

Aside from the big trans leak, what made it feel, "This is actually dangerously bad"?

Just looking at it makes you say "This is Actually Dangerously bad"

150 (edited by Dudefladge 2019-02-05 04:11 PM)

Guildenstern wrote:
Team Infinniti wrote:

Just looking at it makes you say "This is Actually Dangerously bad"

That's what makes it SO COOL!!

Serious offer: I'm somewhat between Baltimore and Florida, so if I can be of assistance in any way, please don't hesitate to ask.  I love the freakin' K!!

Off-Kilter Racing