Topic: Floor Heel Contact Point Protection

Today we went out to our first open lapping day since painting the interior of our car and we found out the paint we used just isn't strong enough for the fury of our heel grinding into the floor.

http://i66.tinypic.com/8x4x9v.jpg

I did a quick search and found a couple of ready-made solutions.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RACE-RALLY-C … 1120493557

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nicoman-Perfor … B07DNHJR84

But not quite ready to jump into the pre-made solution...  do any of you have some suggestions on how to reinforce/protect the floor heel area?  (Heat is not a concern, at least I don't think it is - I did see that thread)

Here's the car from outside- almost ready for exterior paint!

http://i67.tinypic.com/o77psk.jpg

Re: Floor Heel Contact Point Protection

Yep...don't worry about your paint.

Not an option?  Bedliner in a can.

Use skateboard tape (basically sticky backed sandpaper).  5 races in our car and it is finally tearing thru in the heel area.  During the Road Atlanta monsoon, no driver complained about their foot slipping in the car. When your heel gets covered in oil (this is Lemons) it makes a big difference.

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

I like the bedlinen in a can idea, give some texture, should last a while. Also have found on wet days the painted floor can be just super slippery, not helpful for getting out.

#44 VW Jetta "Le Mondrian"
Arsesweat '17 finished 10th in (B), 3 finishes in 7 races
#96 Silver Subaru Legacy Automatic w Orange Top (formerly)

Be sure to put some shark bite or sand in it. That stuff seems gripy but with driving shoes it can be real slippery when it’s wet.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Second for grip tape. It's cheap and works well.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

bikejeff wrote:

I like the bedlinen in a can idea, give some texture, should last a while. Also have found on wet days the painted floor can be just super slippery, not helpful for getting out.

I've done this, and it lasts about 2 races then there is shiny metal peeking thru again.  We did buy a 12"x12" rubber diamond plate patterned adhesive tile at Harbor Freight for our first car.  It worked really well in it, but started to come up at some point in our other cars.  I think grip tape is the right idea here.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

I tried the abrasive stair tread tape./ We wore through it in a weekend. I use a nice piece of thin birch plywood for the floor now. It works well, insulates us from a hot floor and is a decent grip surface - even when wet. You can put some insulation under it also.

Ok, countdown for someone to tell me this is a terrible idea and it is going to burst into flames, kill me etc... Commencing countdown in 1, 2 3, ......

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

The stair tread tape lasted 4 races for us and finally needs to be replaced.  For what it costs and how easy it is to install, we'll probably stick with that for now.

Captain, For Parts Only (Team FPO)
#111 VW Golf - Currently Orange with tiger stripes (Calvin and Hobbes theme)

Grip tape is meant to be abused to hell and back on a skateboard, have shoes dragged all over it, and keep together. That's why I picked it way back when. It really does hold up well. Just make sure the floor is CLEAN before you stick it down.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I'd rather wear out the paint on the floor than the heel of my shoe.  That said, grip tape is probably the answer you are looking for.  If you are bored and like working with sheet-metal, heed the following:

I once built a formed-aluminum heel cup and riveted it just aft of the throttle pedal, also in a Miata.  It provided a positive stop and pretty much guaranteed repeatability of foot position.  It may have helped a little.  I guess.   It did put a cool shiny silver finish on the heel of my right boot.  No other car I've tracked had such a thing and I didn't notice the lack.

A well-positioned dead-pedal, however, is worth the effort.  I like mine to be basically level with the clutch pedal.  Gives a driver something to shove against while getting that lap belt extra-tight, and helps discourage clutch-riding.

Grip tape on the bulk of the driver-side floor is also a good idea.  I've had my feet slip during a wet race while trying to exit the car.  Shins, meet pedals.  Not fun.

Greg S wrote:

Ok, countdown for someone to tell me this is a terrible idea and it is going to burst into flames, kill me etc... Commencing countdown in 1, 2 3, ......

This guy used plywood for his heel protection, too;)
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/MGxyDGhI4l0/maxresdefault.jpg
We use skate board grip tape. The stair tread tape doesn't seem to hold up as well.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

IMHO: Things happen fast out there so when it's not pushing the clutch pedal, my left foot is hovering over the brake pedal.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

14 (edited by Greg S 2019-02-05 10:35 AM)

DelinquentRacer wrote:
Greg S wrote:

This guy used plywood for his heel protection, too;)
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/MGxyDGhI4l0/maxresdefault.jpg
We use skate board grip tape. The stair tread tape doesn't seem to hold up as well.

Here's another guy that followed my advice.
https://img.purch.com/h/1400/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA5MS83OTgvb3JpZ2luYWwvaGluZGVuYnVyZy1kaXNhc3Rlci0wMDEuanBn

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

-SDR- wrote:

IMHO: Things happen fast out there so when it's not pushing the clutch pedal, my left foot is hovering over the brake pedal.

If you're saying you would *never* use a dead pedal, I would say you're unnecessarily fatiguing your left leg by holding it over the brake pedal when you don't need to. Every race and ever track has spots where it's reasonable to rest your foot on the dead pedal.

No to mention the benefits of pushing your ass back in the seat to tighten belts, or hold yourself steady in sharp transitions,  or possibly slide the seat back.

I finally made a deal pedal for my car after 5 or 6 races without it and it is so nice, I'm mad I didnt do it before.

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain

aventari wrote:
-SDR- wrote:

If you're saying you would *never* use a dead pedal, I would say you're unnecessarily fatiguing your left leg by holding it over the brake pedal when you don't need to. Every race and ever track has spots where it's reasonable to rest your foot on the dead pedal.

No to mention the benefits of pushing your ass back in the seat to tighten belts, or hold yourself steady in sharp transitions,  or possibly slide the seat back.

I finally made a deal pedal for my car after 5 or 6 races without it and it is so nice, I'm mad I didnt do it before.

The floor is still in my car for when I need to push my but into the seat, and I don't need a dead pedal to do that.

If someone needs to use their left leg/foot to hold themselves in the seat during the race then the seat and/or the belts are not proper for racing. I would strongly suggest getting that resolved over using a dead pedal.

I have yet to have problem with fatigue, even in 2.5+ hour stints.  Might have something to do with my physical fitness, or my car set up (most likely the car set up).

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

If you need more than one arm and one leg to race, you’re trying too hard. Torqueflite lyfe yo

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

-SDR- wrote:
aventari wrote:
-SDR- wrote:

The floor is still in my car for when I need to push my but into the seat, and I don't need a dead pedal to do that.

If someone needs to use their left leg/foot to hold themselves in the seat during the race then the seat and/or the belts are not proper for racing. I would strongly suggest getting that resolved over using a dead pedal.

I have yet to have problem with fatigue, even in 2.5+ hour stints.  Might have something to do with my physical fitness, or my car set up (most likely the car set up).

We've been racing our cars w/o a dead pedal since 2007.  Never even noticed car's with or without.  My left foot simply sits on the floor when not in use.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

There are really solid ergonomic reasons for a deadpedal. It helps set your hip so the busy leg can have more precision and a fixed pivot point. It's like how you set your pinkie finger down to do fine paint or detail line work. Short of bolts, you can't strap in hard enough to keep your pelvis from articulating as you move your legs.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Thanks for the suggestions!  I think we're leaning toward the skate tape.

Interesting convo about the dead pedal.  We left it out for one open lapping day and missed it dearly!  I feel like it's a necessity!

The skate grip tape is strong stuff, but the soles of race shoes are usually very thin, so I went for something non-abrasive.

It's hard to find and can be expensive in some places. On mcmaster or amazon you can get this nonabrasive antislip vinyl plastic tape, aka. 3M Safety-Walk 310. It's like the mineral/glass coated skate grip tape, except the grip texture is rubbery and won't wear away your shoes.

gus wrote:

The skate grip tape is strong stuff, but the soles of race shoes are usually very thin, so I went for something non-abrasive.

It's hard to find and can be expensive in some places. On mcmaster or amazon you can get this nonabrasive antislip vinyl plastic tape, aka. 3M Safety-Walk 310. It's like the mineral/glass coated skate grip tape, except the grip texture is rubbery and won't wear away your shoes.

I like the idea of preventing unnecessary wear on safety equipment like the shoes.

Product detail for the 3M Safety-Walk 310 indicates it includes a mineral compound. Perhaps it is better sealed _into_ the tape as opposed to adhered on top.

U-line has several additional options for step tape. I have not purchased any of them, I merely suggest it as a resource.

Don't worry too much about the shoes. Technically you should be chucking them every couple years because SFI doesn't like risk anymore.

Also the upper near my laces died before my heel wore out so....

Guildenstern wrote:

Don't worry too much about the shoes. Technically you should be chucking them every couple years because SFI doesn't like risk anymore.

Also the upper near my laces died before my heel wore out so....

you must have different shoes. Because mine always wear the soles like crazy just from the minimal walking around I do in them for things like fueling. I swear the soles on most of them are designed to vanish on their own.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

25 (edited by Guildenstern 2019-02-06 11:02 PM)

I have G-force Pro Series. But I always kill all shoes at the lacing holes if they don't have super high quality eyelets and usually right below it if they do. Also we always Fill at the pump because Forget having to suit up all the damn time.

Also SFI tag on the Tongue, worst thing ever.

Edit: Matter of fact SFI is getting right on my nerves basically everywhere lately.