Topic: Tire Sources

Once again we find ourselves wanting to buy new Hankook R-S4s for the upcoming spring race at CMP only to find that Tire Rack is out of stock on the 225/45/15s size that we run.  Apparently this is a popular tire and size since it's always out of stock at the beginning of the year.  One would think if it's that popular someone in marketing would say "maybe we should build more", but alas that's not the case.

Before it's mentioned, we have tried several other tires Direzzas, Rivals, Azenis, and the RS4s hold up better and last longer in our experience running at CMP.  When not at CMP, like at Barber or Road Atlanta, none of those other tires would likely have an issue.

So for those who also run RS4s, where do you buy yours?  I have found them elsewhere, and still they are sparse, they are quite a bit more than Tire Rack.  We'll need (8) tires to survive 24 hours on the cheese grater otherwise known as CMP, so we need to find tires sooner than later.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Re: Tire Sources

We run the same size.  Bumped to 245’s for Barber because we couldn’t find 225’s anywhere.  I just don’t think they are available till the new batch comes out for 2019.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

We run the same size.  Bumped to 245’s for Barber because we couldn’t find 225’s anywhere.  I just don’t think they are available till the new batch comes out for 2019.

Not sure if we could fit 245s up front w/o rubbing, but I just checked and they aren't available either.  We're good for Barber because our last brand new set of RS4s didn't hardly get used in the rain fest at Road Atlanta.

Tire Rack says the 2019 batch won't be available until March at the earliest, and could be as late as April.  Since the 24 at CMP is April 27th, I'm kind of worried, and we don't like to wait until the last minute.

Captain

This always happened with the RS3's as well. I'm bummed to hear this as I'll need some 225/45-15 RS4's in the nearish future.. Maybe I should hoard  20 sets of them when theyre available and corner the market lol

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain

We aren’t sure if we are gonna be ok with 245’s either... gonna find out Friday... but we have various old set’s of 225’s that should work if need be. 

We’re already discussing buying our tires in bulk for the entire year when they are available to avoid this issue.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

VKZ24 wrote:

Once again we find ourselves wanting to buy new Hankook R-S4s for the upcoming spring race at CMP only to find that Tire Rack is out of stock on the 225/45/15s size that we run.  Apparently this is a popular tire and size since it's always out of stock at the beginning of the year.  One would think if it's that popular someone in marketing would say "maybe we should build more", but alas that's not the case.

I talked to the marketing guy with Hankook about this a few years back. They still don't make enough 15s.

I thought the RS2/3/4 were exclusive to TireRack along with many other 15" 200 treadwears.

Here's an alternate:
https://shop.maxxis.com/c/automotive_vi … ted_post=1

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

14" is dead, 15" is right behind em. Right now 16" is the smallest rim you can hope to find any selection in.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Troy wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

I talked to the marketing guy with Hankook about this a few years back. They still don't make enough 15s.

I thought the RS2/3/4 were exclusive to TireRack along with many other 15" 200 treadwears.

Here's an alternate:
https://shop.maxxis.com/c/automotive_vi … ted_post=1

We've tried the Maxxis alternative, and they were just "OK".

Captain

Guildenstern wrote:

14" is dead, 15" is right behind em. Right now 16" is the smallest rim you can hope to find any selection in.

Or you know, you can run less sticky tires...

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Even then. I had 2 whole not racing options for my 96 miata and neither of them would pass even for Lemons level tires.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

In my opinion there are more or better 15" options than 16s now. You have to go up to 17" to really have a large selection.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z