Topic: Upcoming CMP Spring 24 - Tire Changer

Is anybody going to the CMP Spring 24 hour going to be bringing equipment for changing tires?  We're considering bringing some of our better looking spare rubber (there's a theme in that statement, I'm sure of it) just in case we somehow go through the rubber on our wheels.

If not, what are other teams' plans for ensuring they have enough tires for a full 24?  We usually go through at least 1.5 front left tires on a normal weekend at CMP, which is ~10 hours less track time than this race will be (assuming of course we run the entire time).  We have a full spare set of wheels, but don't want to invest in more wheels if we can avoid it, since we will not use them outside of a 24 hour race.

Captain, For Parts Only (Team FPO)
#111 VW Golf - Currently Orange with tiger stripes (Calvin and Hobbes theme)

Re: Upcoming CMP Spring 24 - Tire Changer

Tell Sasha I said not be such a cheap ass and just buy more wheels wink

Seriously, how many wheels do you have?  We have (8) wheels and don't foresee a problem.  We plan to run new front tires and change them every (8) hours. The rears just hold the car off the ground, so we will run used ones out back and may not change those at all.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

We have 8 as well and we’re planning on an every 8 hour change for the fronts. It’s more of a concern just in case one of the 8 is prematurely expired. A few races ago we lost a tire by de-beading it when the car went off track, which in that case was fine, but for a 24, we would be out a potentially usable spare tire.

I’m probably over thinking this, but this is our first 24 and we’re trying to mitigate any failure points so we can be tired and miserable from all the driving.

Captain, For Parts Only (Team FPO)
#111 VW Golf - Currently Orange with tiger stripes (Calvin and Hobbes theme)

GoFastEnthusiast wrote:

We have 8 as well and we’re planning on an every 8 hour change for the fronts. It’s more of a concern just in case one of the 8 is prematurely expired. A few races ago we lost a tire by de-beading it when the car went off track, which in that case was fine, but for a 24, we would be out a potentially usable spare tire.

I’m probably over thinking this, but this is our first 24 and we’re trying to mitigate any failure points so we can be tired and miserable from all the driving.

I understand your point about the tires, but at some point you have to say how many spares, and by spares I mean parts and tires, is enough?  In our case we bring everything we have room to carry.  If we had a big enclosed trailer, we'd bring even more.

We've run several 24's over the last 10 years, and after every single one I swore it would be the last.  Driving at night is more taxing for sure, but it can be fun.  Staying up all night however is a young man's game, and I'm past that stage.  I can never seem to sleep at these events no matter how hard I try.

You guys are well organized so I'm sure you'll figure it out.  Your team is lot of fun to hang out with so we look forward to seeing you guys again soon.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

5 (edited by 96Formula6spd 2019-02-08 08:18 PM)

So the few of us from the Coronet are building a new car. Anyways my brother is bringing a tire machine and balancer. He will be setting up shop. We will be able to mount and balance tires. Can also flip tires. But we will be there. Brother will be there for the team but is not driving. So bring us tires. Need a flip or swap at 3am you got it. Tire machine can do 12-21 inch rims I think in its current setup. We normally do 15-17s. 

Pricing will be $10 for a mount or flip. $5 extra to balance. You must take any bad,unmounted tires with you. We are not taking any bad used tires home with us. Cash, check works. Could also take paypal but you cover the fees.

I know we will be in our new car. Not saying what it is yet. There will be a 94 Nissan Altima, 87 Celica GTs, 86 Civic Si. Plus one other car that I am not saying what it is. We plan on setting up in our normal spot. Getting there early to claim the spot. Plan is to be on pit in road on the left side. Picture below measure out where we plan to be.

Any questions PM me. Kyle

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZvH_yii9Rp0/XF494cfIQ1I/AAAAAAAAByU/Z8yrRpWM_TQfrRf5T7axcI8S_xrN9NkUQCLcBGAs/s1600/51674558_417019492376965_8429968698269237248_n.png

CMP is SO hard on tires its insane. Same type tire we just ran at barber with a ton of life left, at CMP over 2 days...no way...

Brian C.
Founder & CEO of Battle Scarred Motorsports 501(c)3
Cell: 904-233-5288
Email: brianc@battlescarred.org

czechmate76 wrote:

CMP is SO hard on tires its insane. Same type tire we just ran at barber with a ton of life left, at CMP over 2 days...no way...

Yeah why we are buying cheaper tires and bringing 12 vs 8.

8 (edited by 96Formula6spd 2019-04-25 07:57 PM)

Tire machine is still coming. Will be arriving around 3-4pm on Friday 4/26. Brother is getting held up at work. We have also moved to behind the tower as our planned spot was taken.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5QJAmIcgVUQ/XMJuzKtlakI/AAAAAAAACAI/zI1z24TkQOUo8ensIOuhwOoQ1c9AEJw9QCLcBGAs/s1600/Cmp%2Btire%2Bspot.png