Topic: Summit Point

How hard would it be to get a race at Summit Point (WV) fun tracks. I'd think if NJMP can bring 100+ cars so could Summit. Any thoughts?

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Re: Summit Point

I believe stuff like this is why Lemons doesnt run there anymore.

https://youtu.be/8xd7NKVWjOs

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Summit point did bring over 100 cars. Which had outgrown Shenandoah. The main track, as has been documented on many sites has some runnoff issues. As well as the previously mentioned run ON issues.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Summit Point was one of the reasons there was a "Stunting and Sploding" rule.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Really miss going to Summit Point. Maybe HQ will take another look now that the track has made some improvements and is under new management.

If not, hopefully Pitt goes well. That area needs a race somewhere.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Not enough paddock space, unsafe runoffs, routine animal intrusions on the track, and add concurrent event issues. There was a race where Lemons was there and the track booked another big event on another track for the whole weekend. Took me two hours to make a run to a parts store that was about 10 miles away. Would prefer any track other than Summit Point.

They always booked with Hyperfest because it's cheap.

Hyperfest isn't even at SPR anymore.  They are putting up "deer fence" around the perimeter of the entire compound.

Run-off issues and limited paddock issues are no different than Thompson.

Track is under new ownership, but still the same management for motorsports operations.

I still don't see Lemons ever returning, which is sad.  Shenandoah was the most fun I've had in Lemons.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

racinrob wrote:

Shenandoah was the most fun I've had in Lemons.

Agreed, our little 318 diced the hell out of that track!  I've not been looking too hard, but whenever I see any non-LeMons events, they are not on Shenandoah.  Our first race in 2010 was there.  Crap! I've been throwing money into this terrible idea for nearly 10 years!

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

cheseroo wrote:

I believe stuff like this is why Lemons doesnt run there anymore.

https://youtu.be/8xd7NKVWjOs

WOW we have raced that Shark BMW in Chumps there before

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

The Karousel

The silliness over at hyperfest

The good times.

The bump on the bridge straight that makes the car go light.

The corkscrew

The deer that took me out of P1

So much funs....

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

Agreed.... Still my favorite track!
Manny

what are we? wusses?
hell, if the Australian crowd could do endurance races with kangaroos on the track, we should be able to dodge a few deer

https://jalopnik.com/endurance-racing-i … 1841414130

What's the worst that could happen....Roadkill cookout...?

Besides, I've seen a few Lemons drivers/cars/teams that are probably more dangerous on the track than a prancing deer....

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

MZAVARIN wrote:

what are we? wusses?
hell, if the Australian crowd could do endurance races with kangaroos on the track, we should be able to dodge a few deer

https://jalopnik.com/endurance-racing-i … 1841414130

What's the worst that could happen....Roadkill cookout...?

Besides, I've seen a few Lemons drivers/cars/teams that are probably more dangerous on the track than a prancing deer....

It had more to do with the hard barriers when you go off.  Safety concerns.  Volvo guy hit hard, broke an ankle, and the car was a total loss...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

Volvo guy hit hard, broke an ankle, and the car was a total loss...

Yep, that was a big one https://youtu.be/422ro2AbEWw

Has anyone been back to Shenadoah lately? It looks like there is a tire wall at this barrier and elsewhere on the track. I see a lot more of those "safer" walls as well. here  is a video from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8Ua1joVxg

Greg

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

Jesus, timed laps in an uncaged car on Shenandoah.

Guildenstern wrote:

That's gridlife Time attack, Street Mod class. It a legit sanctioning body and they have a stellar safety record.

The SCCA new time trial series does nearly the same rules set for the two lower classes.

One lap cars.

Doesn't mean you have to run a car without a cage.

Greg S wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

That's gridlife Time attack, Street Mod class. It a legit sanctioning body and they have a stellar safety record.

The SCCA new time trial series does nearly the same rules set for the two lower classes.

One lap cars.

I still shake my head at some of the HPDE/Time attack stuff they do.  A couple of times I've brought Lemons cars to Fontana during HPDE events.  It just seems odd to me to be going through T1/2 at the bottom of the oval banking at 100+ with full cage, safety gear, etc while some guy in a GT3/Viper/M5 blows around above me at 130+ while only wearing a helmet and t-shirt.  Just a blown tire away from things getting ugly fast.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:
Greg S wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

One lap cars.

I still shake my head at some of the HPDE/Time attack stuff they do.  A couple of times I've brought Lemons cars to Fontana during HPDE events.  It just seems odd to me to be going through T1/2 at the bottom of the oval banking at 100+ with full cage, safety gear, etc while some guy in a GT3/Viper/M5 blows around above me at 130+ while only wearing a helmet and t-shirt.  Just a blown tire away from things getting ugly fast.

Yep, not my cup of tea, but its done all over.

Track night in America cars are street cars as well.

Only allowing caged, harnessed cars on track puts all HDPE people out of business along with making it nonviable financially for A LOT of tracks.

Most of the street car things I've done have been specifically no timing with flow restrictions. And as usual the track has a lot to do with where on the sliding scale OK should be.

As for "Legit Sanctioning Body" I just think of two adages from aviation:
1. There are two types of pilots who fly retractible gear aircraft; The ones who have landed gear up, and the ones who will.
2. That which doesn't kill you will only make you more complacent.

Having seen what happens when a Caged car goes over top of the carousel, I wouldn't be interested in trying to break a time trial record out there in a street car.

The big difference between Time Attack and Wheel-to-wheel racing, is that if you wreck your car in Time Attack, it is your own fault and responsibility.

I definitely see other cars out there.

Guildenstern wrote:

I definitely see other cars out there.

There ranked by pace then sent out with timed gap. Been going on forever.