Topic: total rookie, buying a helmet. What to look for?

I have found a team, signed up, and need all the safety gear. I have bought many helmets over the decades for motorcycle racing, and general riding. But I have never bought an auto-racing helmet.

The rules are clear: a Snell SA2015 full face helmet. So far so good.

Looks like I can get one from about $150 to several thousand. How do I make an intellegent choice?

• Do all SA2015 helmets have the HANS mounting points?

• Are they all equally fireproof?

• are there any features that are especially useful in car racing? say a bladder to lift the helmet off your head?

• are there special requirements/features for follks like me who use bifocals?

• etc ?

Thanks
Pat

Re: total rookie, buying a helmet. What to look for?

The cheaper the helmet, the heavier it is. A $150 Snell SA2015 is as safe as a $10,000 SA2015.

All SA2015 have the mounting points for screwing in a head and neck restraint mount.

Look for as big a view port as you can afford. Usually the cheaper the smaller but not always. Having bought motorcycle helmets before the rules apply the same. No two companies fit the same. Find the size and company that fits your head best.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Usually, the helmets that you like for bikes, will have a similar SA-rated helmet. If an Arai fits you well, they make SA-rated helmets, too. They'll have the same basic shape between M-rated and SA-rated helmets.

As far as added features, if you're serious about road racing buy what you can afford. Hydration, radio gear, safety gear, etc. is all worthwhile when you use it often enough. Are you just dipping a toe in the water to check the feel? Buy a cheaper helmet and sell it when you decide you want more, or you're going to get out.

The SA2020 helmets won't be out for at least 18 months. The SA2015 helmets will be good until 2025 for Lemons, unless the rules change.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

DelinquentRacer wrote:

Are you just dipping a toe in the water to check the feel? Buy a cheaper helmet and sell it when you decide you want more, or you're going to get out.

thanks.
Yes, practically this is a dipping the toe thing. But I expect I'll really like it. I loved road racing motorcycles, but that sadly is a young man's sport.

Although watch out, because some companies, like Bell, are NOT the same between motorcycle and autosports. I’m a completely diffrent size in my Bell SA as I am in my Bell M and the overall fit is diffrent.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

I wear bifocals as well. I struggled to find a helmet that fit well with my glasses. The helmet I use is the Bell Sport EV (extended view).  The opening on that helmet provides a greater peripheral vision field and the shape better accommodates my glasses frame. I also have the lens on my glasses cut so that the vision areas extend to the edges of my frames. You have to ask to have that done when ordering eye glasses.

The other feature that is important to me is the availability of tinted tear offs. Bell compatible tear offs are widely available.

pat22043 wrote:

[*]are there any features that are especially useful in car racing? say a bladder to lift the helmet off your head?[/*]
Thanks
Pat

Bladder is one option.

Safety companies are making balaclavas and balaclava accessories that lift lids without the necessity of an inflator.

(not affiliated, yada yada)

https://www.stand21.com/images/vignette_info_289.png

https://www.stand21.com/products.r-2/un … avas.r-46/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaCXhsvAsGo

Guildenstern wrote:

A $150 Snell SA2015 is as safe as a $10,000 SA2015.

I would contest this statement. We can reasonably assume the cheap helmet just about meets the standard. We don't whether the expensive helmet exceeds the standard by a little or a lot.

9 (edited by gunn 2019-02-27 04:45 PM)

I recently bought a ZAMP RZ-44c carbon fiber helmet for desert racing since I needed  the ability to duct air into the helmet for desert racing. It's an SA2015 helmet that replaced my GForce SA2010 helmet. FWIW, I also wear glasses.

Both felt comfortable enough and similarly sized but the ZAMP was noticeably lighter. I paid about $375 delivered after eBay coupon (when they start feeling like they will be short on their revenue targets before EOQ, they often offer 15-20% off coupons for one day to juice up the volumes).

I'd totally buy another one.

PS. I was cleaning out my old helmets (I have a few extras from friends who like using my garage as storage) and even old, "obsolete" helmet have value to others (perhaps for track days or HPDEs). Last year, I think I sold a Pyrotect SA2005 open faced helmet (makes you look like a vintage rally nerd) for $35 and the GFORCE SA2010 helmet for $75.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Emyr wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

I would contest this statement. We can reasonably assume the cheap helmet just about meets the standard. We don't whether the expensive helmet exceeds the standard by a little or a lot.

I'm with this.  A basic SA2015 helmet will meet the impact standards.  But a more expensive helmet will have other safety features.  My Roux helmet, for example, has a release system where rescuers can remove the helmet without pulling on my head.  Important if I have a neck/back injury.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

If you have the chance to try helmets on... do it.   Not every helmet is shaped the same.  I have a $1300 Stilo with all the bells and whistles that I didn’t try on before I purchased.  I get a little hotspot on my forehead and after two hours in the car it can be painful.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

If you have the chance to try helmets on... do it.   Not every helmet is shaped the same.  I have a $1300 Stilo with all the bells and whistles that I didn’t try on before I purchased.  I get a little hotspot on my forehead and after two hours in the car it can be painful.

Thanks, yeah, I've seen that shopping for motorcycle helmets. I expect it again. Since I have to get all the gear, helmet, firesuit, boots, etc. being able to return stuff for bad fit is important in picking a store.

I remember there used to be a Simpson store at Summit Point, I haven't noticed any car racing places that obviously have helmets -- I guess I need to look more carefully.

Did you notice that your Stilo didn't fit well when you first unboxed it? or did you have to discover it after a two hour driving shift?

pat22043 wrote:

The rules are clear: a Snell SA2015 full face helmet.

The rules are clear that a Snell SA2010 helmet is still perfectly fine, although you'll probably need to drill a couple of holes to mount the neck restraint hardware as the holes aren't standard for that specification. The hardware comes with instructions for how to do this properly, so it really isn't a big deal. The SA2015 helmets don't typically come with neck hardware as standard anyway, just two pre-drilled holes, since the different models of restraints use different types of attachments.

pat22043 wrote:

Yes, practically this is a dipping the toe thing.

If Lemons HQ follows previous practice, 2019 is most likely the last year for SA2010 but if you like the idea of trying out a helmet for not much money then there are probably good deals to be found for some decent but soon to be completely obsolete models.

pat22043 wrote:

are there special requirements/features for follks like me who use bifocals?

I got my current SA2010 helmet before needing bifocals but I haven't noticed any particular issues now that I (sigh) have them.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

When I put my Stilo on the first time I thought it felt a little snug on my forehead versus other places.  Pay attention to that.  I assumed it would be fine, but after a couple hours no bueno.

15 (edited by OnkelUdo 2019-02-27 08:07 PM)

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Hate to ask, as a lifelong motorcyclist, have you tried the spoon method for removing the hotspot?

That said, my cheap helmet is too round and even with liberal spooning (yeah, jokes will come) I still get a hotspot about 2 hours in and it lasts about 30 minutes.

I razor bladed the spot then pushed it in a little... fixed 70% of the pain...

Emyr wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Pedantically sure. It's As safe as the standard.

OnkelUdo wrote:

That said, my cheap helmet is too round and even with liberal spooning (yeah, jokes will come) I still get a hotspot about 2 hours in and it lasts about 30 minutes.

I stayed at your house once and didn't experience any spooning, liberal or otherwise.

OnkelUdo wrote:

If it lasts 4 hours, you should see a mechanic immediately - your giubo might come apart.

I do not think many or any sub-$1000 carbon fiber helmets are 100% carbon fiber. Most are just a carbon outer layer over composite and not huge weight savings.

A team mate has 2 helmets from the same manufacturer, 1 carbon fiber and 1 kevlar. They are almost the same weight, like maybe an ounce difference.

Additionally some of the slightly more expensive helmets $300 v $250 have earcups and some other cool features for not a whole lot more money.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z