1 (edited by aaron.vogel 2019-03-07 01:31 PM)

Topic: Yokohama tire mounting questions

Wasn't sure if I should post this in Newcomers or Tech, but since it is kind of a newbie set of questions, here it is.

Basically I was hoping to get all the details on the Yokohama Tire support truck situation laid out in one place because my searching hasn't yielded the desired results.

• What tracks does the support truck come to?

• What services does the support truck provide?

• Does it matter if I have Yokohama tires or not?

• My crappy Craigslist rims are pretty chewed up, but I'm pretty sure they mostly hold air. Safety factors related to racing on sketchy wheels aside, at what point won't they mount tires for me?

Thanks in advance, and on behalf of future racers who'll inevitably ask the same junk.

--------------------- Compiling answers below ---------------------
Races

Only events with Yokohama on the name:

• Sears Pointless @ Hooptiecon, Confusingly Presented By Yokohama - Sonoma Raceway

• Yokohama 5-Mile Tyre Festival - Thunderhill

• Real Hoopties Of New Jersey @ Hooptiecon, Presented By Yokohama - NJMP

• Yokohama Stuntin' & Splodin' Soiree - MSR

• The Yokohama Coldlanta 500 - Atlanta

Services
Mount & balance if they brought the big truck
Comfy place to hang out, maybe a simulator rig and/or beverages if they didn't bring the big truck.

Can I BYOT (Bring my own tires)?
Yep, they'll do 'em all.

Will they mount tires on junk?
Anecdotal evidence says they'll at least give it a shot.

Re: Yokohama tire mounting questions

IIRC from the original press release, if the race is confusingly sponsored by Yokohama or has Yokohama in the race name then the Yokohama truck would be there to mount/balance tires from any manufacturer.  Having said that, they ran into an issue at the last Buttonwillow race where the on-site tire vendor put a kibosh on Yokohama selling or mounting tires.  So instead, Yokohama gave out free beer.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I don't know where I found this,but it looks and sounds offishul.......

For the six races with their names on it, Yokohama will be around the paddock. For example, they’re planning to have a full tractor-trailer setup for Sears Pointless at HooptieCon Confusingly Presented by Yokohama so that they can mount tires—whichever tires you bring them—on your battered old wheels. They’ll have a bunch more stuff at their trailer setup, but we know tire-mounting is what you’ll be excited about. That and more free stickers, probably.

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

aaron.vogel wrote:

Wasn't sure if I should post this in Newcomers or Tech, but since it is kind of a newbie set of questions, here it is.

Basically I was hoping to get all the details on the Yokohama Tire support truck situation laid out in one place because my searching hasn't yielded the desired results.

• What tracks does the support truck come to?

• What services does the support truck provide?

• Does it matter if I have Yokohama tires or not?

• My crappy Craigslist rims are pretty chewed up, but I'm pretty sure they mostly hold air. Safety factors related to racing on sketchy wheels aside, at what point won't they mount tires for me?

Thanks in advance, and on behalf of future racers who'll inevitably ask the same junk.

In order:

1. Yokohama's truck will likely be at the six races with their names on them: Sonoma, Thunderhill, NJMP, High Plains 2, MSR, and Road Atlanta.

2. It depends on which truck they have. If they have a Porsche Cup event close to our race OR the track has a competing tire business, they may not have the tire-mounting equipment. If that's the case, they'll probably have a cool or warm place to hang out if the weather is crappy, a simulator rig, possibly post-racing beer, and other stuff.

3. No, they'll mount whatever tires you bring them.

4. I don't know if we can get a direct answer to that, but I would bet they'll try to do it if they'll hold air.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Thanks everyone for the answers! Original post updated with them compiled for posterity (the lazy).

AT Road Atlanta 2018 Yokohama was there with a nice set-up, video games, etc but I did not see tire mounting going on.  I didn't need it and didn't ask, but I also did not see it.  Maybe it was the terrible weather, not really sure but if it is the difference if you race or not I would spend the $20 a tire and get them mounted before the race.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix