Topic: Start a new team in birmingham/atlanta area

I have always been interested in starting a team and was wondering if anyone else in the atlanta/birmingham area was interested. My grandpa recently died and left me some money that I intend to spend on this, so I can bankroll everything if need be. I would rather have fun than be super competitive. Anyone level of experience accepted.

2 (edited by DirtyDuc 2019-03-14 06:04 PM)

Re: Start a new team in birmingham/atlanta area

A word of advice: bankroll the build, not the entry. Include consumables in the entry fee. Discuss it ahead of time, and/or just look for providing an arrive and drive situation (if you must build/own).

It'll keep you from losing friends who you might grow to feel are freeloading off your largesse.

That guy

3 (edited by Stan in Bham 2019-03-14 06:37 PM)

egoldthorpe,

There are three teams in the Birmingham area that I know of - one runs an air-cooled Beetle out of Hueytown, we (Half-Fast Racing) run a New Beetle out of Alabaster, and there is a Dodge Daytona team (Dodgie Racing) closer to downtown (I think).  Frank Camper gave me some good advice on putting together a team and car as I was getting started last year. I'll be glad to pass his advice and my own "lessons learned" on.  If you send me a pm with a phone number, I'll call this weekend. 

I think the Dodge team is looking for drivers - check the forum for the post by "naking" a few days ago. Joining them for a few races would be a good way to learn a little about Lemons rules, racing, building and running a car, and running a team before actually hitting the track with a newly formed team.  I drove with Orca a couple of times before we got our car together, and it helped a lot to not be learning everything at once. Plus your car build may take longer than you think.

I also did what DirtyDuc suggests - funded the car build but have drivers pay their own way (more or less).  I'd be racing even if it was just my wife and I driving, so I don't worry too much about breaking even. Plus my other drivers are all friends and family members so I keep "driver cost share" fees lower than most teams but try to cover most expendables.  Talk to several teams about costs.  They will vary, but will add up fast; and it isn't just tires, gas, and brakes.  "Budget racing" is a relative term.

Stan

I'm from MA but will be in the Atlanta area at race time this year. If you need a driver I'm looking to race.

are you in the ATL area, or the B/ham area?

I have a client with locations in Douglasville,Birmingham and
Biloxi. So we can do nola, barber and ATL. Got tools and can
Weld. Willing to pit crew. Let me know.

Stan in Bham wrote:

egoldthorpe,

There are three teams in the Birmingham area that I know of - one runs an air-cooled Beetle out of Hueytown, we (Half-Fast Racing) run a New Beetle out of Alabaster, and there is a Dodge Daytona team (Dodgie Racing) closer to downtown (I think).  Frank Camper gave me some good advice on putting together a team and car as I was getting started last year. I'll be glad to pass his advice and my own "lessons learned" on.  If you send me a pm with a phone number, I'll call this weekend. 

I think the Dodge team is looking for drivers - check the forum for the post by "naking" a few days ago. Joining them for a few races would be a good way to learn a little about Lemons rules, racing, building and running a car, and running a team before actually hitting the track with a newly formed team.  I drove with Orca a couple of times before we got our car together, and it helped a lot to not be learning everything at once. Plus your car build may take longer than you think.

I also did what DirtyDuc suggests - funded the car build but have drivers pay their own way (more or less).  I'd be racing even if it was just my wife and I driving, so I don't worry too much about breaking even. Plus my other drivers are all friends and family members so I keep "driver cost share" fees lower than most teams but try to cover most expendables.  Talk to several teams about costs.  They will vary, but will add up fast; and it isn't just tires, gas, and brakes.  "Budget racing" is a relative term.

Stan

Stan In Bham , Great advice. In the Bham area you also have my team Cheat'N Slow (E36) and Erectile Dysfunction (MX3). Both From Helena.

egoldthorp,  I also funded my build and team members pay per race. If you want experience I have two seats available for Road Atlanta and possibly more.

Blake Anderson -

Glad to see that I was wrong and there are at least 5 teams in the Bham area. I've been emailing/texting Ryan since yesterday.  We'll have to get together to start forming our "Birmingham Alliance".  I know of another team that is early in the building stage, too. They hope to get their hooptie together by the Barber race.  I think it is a Nissan 240sx, if I remember correctly.

I guess the "Alabama Gang" moniker is already taken, so we'll have to think up a new name for our group.  "Birmingham Money Pits", "Alabama Oil Leakers", "Shelby County Oil Slingers", "Iron Town Idiots" - feel free to improve on these suggestions.  On the other hand, "The Alabama Gang" has been out of use for about 40 years, so we might be able to appropriate it.

If you need a driver for Atlanta, I know a guy looking for a seat.  He's the owner/captain of the Orca Team (Cadillac CTS) and he gave me my first two drives with them while I got a car and started prepping it.  He doesn't want to haul his car from Houston - 15 hours each way.  I'd offer him a seat with us if we weren't full already. Send me a pm if you want contact info.

egoldthorpe - did you ever get your team underway?  Or did you decide to invest your money wisely and just buy tickets to watch the rest of us throw our money away?

Stan in Bham wrote:

Blake Anderson -

Glad to see that I was wrong and there are at least 5 teams in the Bham area. I've been emailing/texting Ryan since yesterday.  We'll have to get together to start forming our "Birmingham Alliance".  I know of another team that is early in the building stage, too. They hope to get their hooptie together by the Barber race.  I think it is a Nissan 240sx, if I remember correctly.

I guess the "Alabama Gang" moniker is already taken, so we'll have to think up a new name for our group.  "Birmingham Money Pits", "Alabama Oil Leakers", "Shelby County Oil Slingers", "Iron Town Idiots" - feel free to improve on these suggestions.  On the other hand, "The Alabama Gang" has been out of use for about 40 years, so we might be able to appropriate it.

If you need a driver for Atlanta, I know a guy looking for a seat.  He's the owner/captain of the Orca Team (Cadillac CTS) and he gave me my first two drives with them while I got a car and started prepping it.  He doesn't want to haul his car from Houston - 15 hours each way.  I'd offer him a seat with us if we weren't full already. Send me a pm if you want contact info.

egoldthorpe - did you ever get your team underway?  Or did you decide to invest your money wisely and just buy tickets to watch the rest of us throw our money away?

Blake and I have been talking about this since the Full 24 at CMP.  Blake came up with BALLS (Birmingham Alliance of LeMon Loosers Support Group) or something like that.  Dogdie Racing will be at Road Atlanta and would love to see all the Birmingham teams paddock together.  We are planning on leaving Thursday late morning and hope to get to the track between 3-5.  Stan if you want email me at naking@crimson.ua.edu and we can exchange contact info.

Any Birmingham team have a good but low(er) cost cage builder recommendation?

Team Turtle/Half-Fast Racing found a replacement Beetle in Bessemer.  It had the usual 17 year old Beetle issues - flooded from the inside due to horribly leaky sunroof and reeks of mold and mildew.  Decent price for a great runner - no creaks, groans, or clunks from the suspension. Pulling the interior this week, and trying to find an immobilizer delete since something in the ignition decided to short/freak out/go haywire from the interior moisture levels.

Anyone recommend a good cage builder?  We'll go with Kirk Racing Products if no other recommendations.  He did a fantastic job on the one in Turtle I.