Topic: Headlight & Tail Light Taping

Short term lurker, first time poster here.  *hi*

I see that the rules say:  "Headlights, taillights, and sidemarker lights must be removed or taped over."

My question is: would covering the headlights, taillights & sidemarker lights in 3M Clear Bra material be acceptable?  Would I have to make it look crappy on purpose so you can tell it's been done?

Re: Headlight & Tail Light Taping

I dunno about clear bras, but regular old packing tape has done well for me.

That guy

DirtyDuc wrote:

I dunno about clear bras, but regular old packing tape has done well for me.

I know regular packing tape works, but I was just trying to make it be something that would require less maintenance.

It's the least labor-intensive maintenance on my car... You can stick non-wrenches on that duty. "hey, driver 3, go make sure there is tape on all the lights." Hand the driver a roll of tape and consider it done. If it isn't done by tech, you can mock them mercilessly while you do it yourself and reconsider letting non-wrenches drive your car.

That guy

The clear bra is fine. The point of that rule is to prevent sharp pieces falling on the track if someone hits you, or you hit someone, and the light breaks. More important on older cars with sealed beam glass headlights, but they make you do it to all lights. Clear bra will do the same function of holding the broken light together.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I think it's silly for the requirement to tape over any of the plastic lenses.  Of all the stuff to worry about falling off these cars and/or getting run over, a piece of plastic lens isn't it.  Glass, yeah I get that, but not plastic, and unless you have old-school sealed beam headlights, that's not an issue anyway. But the rules are the rules I guess, so we still do it.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Thanks for your replies.  I get the purpose of the rule, just wanted to make sure the 3M would be ok, as I do want to make things look nice. *puts on fire proof suit*

Before I stopped caring I used clear vinyl and a heat gun to make it look perfect and never had any issues with tech. Now I just use a roll of tape.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Now, for the side mirrors, I finally figured out that floating heavy packing tape onto them like window tint worked better than trying to do it dry.

The tape, though, is tough enough to get off after a weekend, let alone six months later before the next race.

What's the go-to that's optically OK that doesn't yellow for side mirrors?

10 (edited by Fishah 2018-10-25 09:14 AM)

Maybe I shouldn't mention that I haven't taped my side mirrors in years....

I also replaced my taillight lenses with blank red plastic sheets, and don't tape those earlier.

We don't have headlights.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

I use a home window film on my mirrors. Search Amazon for shatterproof safety window film. Costs about $10 a roll. It has been on the mirrors for years and hasn't yellowed. I use windex to clean the mirrors. It is a window film so I wouldn't try to use it on a curved surface like headlights or taillights. After I put it on I had to redo one of the mirrors after the first race. I made the mistake on the initial install of not cutting a smooth edge and cleaning it pulled up a strip. A little soapy water and a razor blade took off the old stuff and once I reinstalled it I have had no issues.

Fishah wrote:

Maybe I shouldn't mention that I haven't taped my side mirrors in years....

I also replaced my taillight lenses with blank red plastic sheets, and don't tape those earlier.

We don't have headlights.

I've been told not to tape my mirrors. They would rather we be able to see what's coming up behind us. They also said that is track specific.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

http://i64.tinypic.com/14w8sx5.jpg

LOL well that was a waste of time and effort... 

Now, how to remove the clear bra 3M stuff without it being a sticky mess?  I installed it, but it doesn't look great - would like it better without.  Thinking heat gun and 3M adhesive remover?

When it's removed from body panels, heat gun and a plastic razor. But remember that your headlights/taillights are also plastic, so go easy with the heat, and make sure whatever chemical you use is safe on plastic. There's a chance you'll wind up making your headlights look worse by removing the film. It's a race car though, so it's not a huge deal.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I blue tape over any red lights on the back of the car that do not work/light up with the brakes.  I don't want some driver looking at the wrong bulb and hitting me because that light is not working.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496