Topic: PIT ROAD dos and donts

Prepping for 24 at CMP are we allowed to clean windshields on pit road?
Any thing else different  for the 24?
Thanks as always guys

Re: PIT ROAD dos and donts

Generally no.

See 3.C.1

"During fueling, the kill switch must be off; no one can be in the car; and NO other work may be done (no fluid or tire checks, no screwing with the camera, etc.) except adding ice to a driver-cooling system after fueling is fully completed."

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

I don't think they change any rules for the 24s. If you want a clean window leave the washer nozzles and get good wipers. Or come into the pits briefly.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

I don't think they change any rules for the 24s.

This.  The pit road rules are the same for every race AFAIK.

TheEngineer wrote:

If you want a clean window leave the washer nozzles and get good wipers.

This will end up making a smeared mess.  Ask me how I know. 

If you want a clean windshield, you'll have to come into the paddock.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Gotta install two tanks. One with strong degreaser, one with regular fluid to rinse off the degreaser.

Ok i'm not serious. I just like complicated solutions to silly problems.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Gotta install two tanks. One with strong degreaser, one with regular fluid to rinse off the degreaser.

Ok i'm not serious. I just like complicated solutions to silly problems.

Would a squeegee on a long pole from behind the pit wall like the lollipops work?  Ignoring pressure and the fact that it'll likely be a sloppy job, you are out of traffic.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

7 (edited by Bayley 2019-03-20 06:59 AM)

There was a heated discussion about this on Facebook a few weeks back after multiple drivers has their windshields coated with engine oil from one The General's "finest" sports car offering from the mid 1980s.

The general consensus is: don't touch the windshield in the hot pits.

- Not with a rag
- Not with a stick
- Not even from a pole that's dangling from your d...

Wait, where was I?

If you want to clean your windshield, do it in the cold pits. We all think it's a shitty rule, but it's one of the rules regardless. You can always petition to change it, but then you're going up against rule 2.4 in the eligibility section.

The Pentastar whisperer

I believe tear offs are allowed in the hotpits, if winning is THAT important to you.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

9 (edited by VKZ24 2019-03-20 11:17 AM)

Guildenstern wrote:

I believe tear offs are allowed in the hotpits, if winning is THAT important to you.

I looked into getting some of those, and all I can say is you'd likely need a NASCAR team-type budget to afford them.  For just TWO pieces, those things are $140.00!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

10 (edited by jbl 2019-03-20 12:18 PM)

Guildenstern wrote:

We all stopped to take a pic under the light board/pole at NHMS when our number made it.  What is that, 45th? 

We were stoked.

Besides, you can't even eat hoagies in the hot pits.  Why bother?

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

VKZ24 wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

I looked into getting some of those, and all I can say is you'd likely need a NASCAR team-type budget to afford them.  For just TWO pieces, those things are $140.00!

Right, so how badly do you want to win?

Or switch to a mesh screen windshield and get visor tear offs.

OR

You know, wash your windshield in the paddock. Some of the places we race don't even HAVE hot pits, so be grateful for even that.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport