Topic: Would it be OK to race a car leased below $500, then have it repo'd?

Suppose you leased a car with the initial payment below $500, then raced it and gave it up for repossession before 2nd payment. Would the Lemons judges let it fly?

Re: Would it be OK to race a car leased below $500, then have it repo'd?

The Lemons rules are incredibly arbitrary. Gaming the system never works, because the judges assign penalties by feeling anyway.

If you show up with a fancy cheaty car, it doesn't matter what your paperwork says. You'll get to race, with penalty laps.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

MrAnnoyingDude wrote:

Suppose you leased a car with the initial payment below $500,
put a cage,kill switch and fire bottle in it, then raced it and gave it up for repossession thereby fucking your credit score for a chance to win nickles, before 2nd payment. Would the Lemons judges let it fly?

FTFY

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

The question would be why? Why would you want to install a cage and a bunch of other safety gear into a car that you're just going to abandon to repossession?

Could you? Why not, it's your own money and consequences. But the repercussions to you I think would far outweigh any novelty.  You aren't going to win anyway.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Do it.  I am sure you would make the wrap up video.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

BigBird wrote:
MrAnnoyingDude wrote:

...put a cage,kill switch and fire bottle in it...

FTFY

Don't forget "...trash the interior to reach, disable, and remove all the airbags..." so be sure to choose your vehicle wisely.

I'm entirely in favor of this being an excellent idea for someone who is not me.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Double down on all the terrible decisions that got you there and strip it down to a shell after the race, then report it stolen!!!

SMRT!

mharrell wrote:
BigBird wrote:
MrAnnoyingDude wrote:

FTFY

Don't forget "...trash the interior to reach, disable, and remove all the airbags..." so be sure to choose your vehicle wisely.

I'm entirely in favor of this being an excellent idea for someone who is not me.

So am I.

to offer a more rules oriented answer however, just because your lease payment is $500 does not make it a $500 car. From the rules

4.1.1: Lame-Ass Rationalizations: Cars that “should be” worth $500 don’t count; cars that “were worth $500” before you spent another $2000 to fix them don’t count; cars you’ve owned for 20 years and spent more than $500 on during that time don’t count; “it would have been worth $500 if it didn’t already have a cage” doesn’t count. Five hundred dollars means five hundred frickin’ dollars.

So, if you've just leased a brand new mustang that you're totally going to dominate with, that is not a $500 car, and you will be assessed penalty laps accordingly. Likely a bunch with the caveat that you were never going to win anyway so enjoy being in the negatives the whole race.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

to offer a more rules oriented answer however, just because your lease payment is $500 does not make it a $500 car. From the rules

4.1.1: Lame-Ass Rationalizations: Cars that “should be” worth $500 don’t count; cars that “were worth $500” before you spent another $2000 to fix them don’t count; cars you’ve owned for 20 years and spent more than $500 on during that time don’t count; “it would have been worth $500 if it didn’t already have a cage” doesn’t count. Five hundred dollars means five hundred frickin’ dollars.

So, if you've just leased a brand new mustang that you're totally going to dominate with, that is not a $500 car, and you will be assessed penalty laps accordingly. Likely a bunch with the caveat that you were never going to win anyway so enjoy being in the negatives the whole race.

AFAIK a car you lease for a month for $500 is a car you literally only spend $500 on.

It is priced at $500 (for that one month), doesn't need fixing and hadn't been repaired yet.

MrAnnoyingDude wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

AFAIK a car you lease for a month for $500 is a car you literally only spend $500 on.

It is priced at $500 (for that one month), doesn't need fixing and hadn't been repaired yet.

That falls under lame ass rationalization. The car is blatantly worth more than $500, even if you're spun a tale about it only costing $500. Depends on the mood of the judges if they just shower you in laps because your logic is bad, or let you get away with none because they know that a brand new car will do terribly.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

I'm guessing at minimuim the price is the total sum of all your payments, although it is possible they will give it the estimated value of the car after you turn it in after the lease as the full price of the car, or they can take what the sticker price would have been if you bought it, or whichever is greater, although I think the system is only able to apply 999 laps so anything over 1000 is just for show.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

TheEngineer wrote:
MrAnnoyingDude wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

That falls under lame ass rationalization.

Exactly.  That $500 figure is not what you PAID, it's what the car is deemed to be WORTH...by the judges.  If someone gave you a new C7 for FREE, it's still WORTH more than $500.

mharrell wrote:

Most definitely!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Why do it to a lease car?  Seems like a rental would come with (relatively) fewer consequences than a repo.  I wonder if their insurance would cover de-caging it?  I would think the Lemons Supreme Court would look favorably upon anyone who did this come award time but doubt they would encourage it.  Again, an excellent idea for someone who is not me.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

15 (edited by fleming95 2019-03-28 06:20 PM)

Well, since we're going down this road why not just keep your eye out for cars that looks suspiciously stationary (that Volvo 850 I saw a few years back in the mini-mall parking lot, the Mazda Tribute with the nuisance vehicle sticker on it for the 3rd time which just got the back window broke out), 'borrow' it for a weekend, then put it back where you found it?

You'd even have the full $500 to spend on cheaty bits for the weekend -

I may or may not have considered picking up orange to my  tagged vehicles on the highway when returning the tow dolly to my team mate.

Take whatever car you can get for a lease payment less than $500 and cage it, do all the safety stuff, and it still has NO chance to win a Lemons race.   Even more so, I think the judges would LOVE that you would do this, and fully endorse your assault on your credit.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

mharrell wrote:
BigBird wrote:
MrAnnoyingDude wrote:

FTFY

rb92673 wrote:

Do it.  I am sure you would make the wrap up video.

cheseroo wrote:

Why do it to a lease car?  Seems like a rental would come with (relatively) fewer consequences than a repo.  I wonder if their insurance would cover de-caging it?  I would think the Lemons Supreme Court would look favorably upon anyone who did this come award time but doubt they would encourage it.  Again, an excellent idea for someone who is not me.

Gentlemen, it seems we have our team...

There's an abandoned Cayenne that's been sitting on four flat tires poorly parked on the wrong side of MacArthur Boulevard in my neighborhood for over a month.  Looks like the driver hit the median while swooping into oncoming traffic.  As one does.

Somebody come get it.  You probably won't get shot.

MrAnnoyingDude wrote:

Suppose you leased a car with the initial payment below $500, then raced it and gave it up for repossession before 2nd payment. Would the Lemons judges let it fly?

Send It!!!

Oh, and hire an attorney up front because you will be sued for sure by someone........ smile

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

No.  Its not ok.
Next question

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

bobnowoc wrote:

No.  Its not ok.
Next question

Not sure if you are aware but you bumped a nearly year old thread from the dead that was already answered.  Just a heads up

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

Isn't there an exception for anything you want to race as long as it is legitimately rented from a recognized national rental chain?

IE get a camaro/mustang/charger and add the safety equipment. and go?

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

fitsbain wrote:

...as long as it is legitimately rented from a recognized national rental chain?

The awkward, likely-to-end-up-in-court part of this exercise is that anyone who signs the rental agreement of any of the national chains with the intention of stripping the interior, disabling the airbags, welding in a cage, and entering a race would be in utter violation of the terms of the contract, meaning it wouldn't actually be "legitimately rented" at that point, but more like "fraudulently acquired."

I can't imagine HQ encouraging this, although I can imagine the judges being delighted by it.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally