Topic: Is there a rule on tire Tire / Wheel width?

I could not for the life of me find a search function on this forum and I've sure some dummy has already asked thinking he found some loophole.

Is there a Wheel / Tire width rule?

What's to stop some jack ass (ME) from rolling up with some 9.5 wheels running 275's all the way around? Wheels and tires fall in the unlimited category for safety, right?

I'm just assuming the judge is going to give out BS laps for it right?

Check out our YouTube Channel to see out shity car.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je_ZhLJ … 2&t=0s

Re: Is there a rule on tire Tire / Wheel width?

Nothing's stopping you. But usually there are other elements of the car required to make those tires effective...

That guy

Sure you can.  They are heavy tires.
And go price out some 275-40zr-17  in a 200tw tire.

Control F works fine in on the Rules page.
https://24hoursoflemons.com/prices-rules/

But no, there is no rule against tire size. Only Tread-wear rating. (190 or higher) On DOT tires.

I'm not sure what you think a 275mm Tire is going to do for you, but by all means have at it.

Some people really like Understeer.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

IIRC, the 2-ton Miata (Pendejo XJS) had 325s on it but that seems like a lifetime ago.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Also, they will need to be covered by fenders.

If they're inside the fenders, have at it, there's no rules about needing to be at or near OEM. But stuffing your fenders with the widest rubber you can find won't make you win.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

stefan2057 wrote:

I could not for the life of me find a search function on this forum and I've sure some dummy has already asked thinking he found some loophole.

Is there a Wheel / Tire width rule?

What's to stop some jack ass (ME) from rolling up with some 9.5 wheels running 275's all the way around? Wheels and tires fall in the unlimited category for safety, right?

I'm just assuming the judge is going to give out BS laps for it right?

The only rule is that they need to fit within the fenders:

3.J.2 Fenders, Doors, and Hoods Required. All cars must have fenders at all wheels so that no tire surface extends past the body; all doors in place; and OE hoods. Hoods must be securely mounted by OE hardware and/or strong fasteners at all corners.

You don't need a search function.  The rules are quite short.  You really need to read the entire set of rules before you start your build.

bs

9 (edited by meyers0150 2019-04-08 10:33 AM)

The rules are very clear and what's not in them is typically considered legal to experiment.  The search button is directly under the word FORUM.  It's labeled SEARCH.

Happy searching!

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

You can add to the fender to cover a wider tire.  Many teams have very inventive ideas on how this is done and what materials to use.
But as stated a number of times putting a "really wide" tire on a car won't make it faster or more reliable. That last item is the most important thing you need to try to attain when racing in Lemons.

jimbbski wrote:

....or more reliable. That last item is the most important thing you need to try to attain when racing in Lemons.

Something is going to break on a $500 race car.  Your options here become traction or suspension parts.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

Bearings love more grip...

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

I really want to see someone compile stats on the tire width of Lemons overall winners, and build a histogram chart or something. I suspect the (mode) average is about 225.

I love fat tired cars.  Please, go 305.

One good thing about wider tires: they usually last longer.  Notice I said usually.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Y'all are so focused on winning. Maybe they just want some BITCHIN tires.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

I don't know...i think we scared em off the forum.

Stefan2057: none of us are funding your build or doing the work, so you do you.  We're all bench racers when we're on this forum (albeit, some here have an immense amount of knowledge on and off the track) so take some, all, or none of the advice. 

Just go out and have fun.  If you break, fix it until you can't anymore.  There will be plenty of help at the track, and there's plenty more here too.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

Lol, no one scared me away, and thanks for all the tips guys on how to search the rules the multiple posts of that really helped.

I've read them twice before posting and being new I just needed some clarification as they seem extremely open in that regard as: If they are not listed then its not a rule.

I don't plan on running in insane tire widths it was just an example, but I wanted to know what's available for us strategically.

Check out our YouTube Channel to see out shity car.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je_ZhLJ … 2&t=0s

FYI expensive lightweight BBS/Enkei/Ronal racing wheels are NOT budget exempt.

Your car came with rims, so if you show up with something forged, fat, and fancy, you will get scrutiny and likely laps

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

derekste wrote:

Your car came with rims, so if you show up with something forged, fat, and fancy, you will get scrutiny and likely laps

100% not true

4.2.1: Beside the items and processes listed in Section 3, the following are considered safety-related and therefore exempt:
Wheels, tires, wheel bearings, balljoints, and brake components

Go nuts with wheels. You want to buy carbon fiber wheels? Have at it.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:
derekste wrote:

100% not true

4.2.1: Beside the items and processes listed in Section 3, the following are considered safety-related and therefore exempt:

I stand corrected- lame. didn't use to be this way. get off my lawn.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

Fat tires look cool.

Do it.

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Bearings love more grip...

Isn't this an issue with BMW E30s who fit wider tires? They end up eating wheel bearings

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

TheEngineer wrote:
derekste wrote:

100% not true

Ever watch the video on how carbon fiber wheels are made at Koenneggeesssiieieigiisigigig?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGGiuaQwcd8

I figured if I can make a fiberglass rear trunk (using my original trunk as a template), hey, wheels might be a good next project.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

TheEngineer wrote:
derekste wrote:

100% not true

Strictly speaking, this is true. Wheels and tires are budget exempt.

HOWEVER, pretty much no one who's ever rolled up on 275s has left any other part of their car alone. So big tires and expensive wheels—like budget-exempt enormous brakes—on a new Lemons car will invite a closer look at the car.

As pointed out, enormous tires don't seem to make road racing any easier and most teams that put on fat rubber and pack the car full of cheat haven't actually figured out the nuts and bolts of endurance racing to where they actually win. YMMV.

Ultimately, run big tires if you want, just make sure you have enough fender to cover them.

The best big-tire Lemons car of all time was the Bad Decisions Mercedes that had a Big-Block Chrysler mounted in the passenger seat. It never hella worked long enough to find out if 305s actually made it "better," but if that's the kind of build you're going for, by all means, please do that:

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LTH14/0315-Thunderhill14-P1000300.jpg

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LTH14/0328-Thunderhill14-P1000313.jpg

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LTH14/0317-Thunderhill14-P1000302.jpg

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LTH14/0319-Thunderhill14-P1000304.jpg

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LTH14/0323-Thunderhill14-P1000308.jpg

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

(And yes that is a homebrew keg being used as an InaccuSump.)

TL;DR:

(1) Put huge tires on a crappy car or a garage-engineering monster? Nobody cares.

(2) Put huge tires on a proven endurance platform (BMW 3- or 5-Series, Mustangs, etc.), expect some additional scrutiny.

(2B) Don't care about winning? The scrutiny won't bother you.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com