Topic: Fitment issues with pull-up belts?

Hey everyone:

We ordered a set of Pyrotect pull-up belts (on the lap belts) but found they won't work with our setup.  The webbing between the clip and the adjuster is fixed length, and only about 6", which puts the adjuster right at the pass-through hole of our seat.  I thought about extending the pickup point (currently the provided eyebolt in the factory mount location) so that the adjuster buckle is inside the seat, but it will likely wind up wedged between my hip and the seat, and not comfortable.

I'm guessing we need pull-down lap belts, but wanted to ask here in case someone has an easy solution I'm missing.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Fitment issues with pull-up belts?

I can't offer a solution, but I've found the same problem with pyrotect and gforce pull up belts.

Had the same problem with pyrotect (pull up or pull down doesn't matter). Used Pyrotect until I couldn't stand them anymore. Called Scroth Racing and they mixed lap pull ups from one set with the other three belts from a different set to create a reasonably priced set that fit the measurements of my seat and car. Very easy to tighten and to adjust. The sub belt had to be a two point but it works fine with two attachment points and passed through one hole in the seat.

So was the main issue that the web between adjuster and mount point is too short to allow the adjuster to be inboard of the pass-through hole in the seat?

I have tired lots of belts over the last ten years, the best is the Scroth, but it's like $600.00, a close second is this RaceQuip harness, and it's only $89.00.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vms-717007

If you look at the close up picture you will see the adjusters are on the ends of the belts, at the latch, not hidden down on the side of the seat, that makes it easy to adjust.

There maybe other sets made like this, but what you are looking for is the adjusters on the latch end of the belts.

I have looked at http://www.crowenterprizes.com/     crow belts SFI 16-1 certs they may have some thing to work for you .

Having played with a few pull style belts, I can only advise pull down style now. You just can't pull on the pull up styles and get them as tight for some reason (or maybe that's just been the case with our crappy ones.) I hate ours so much that we don't really rely on the adjusters to get the lap tight, we kept the power seat base and use that to move the seat forward and suck the lap tight.

You do not want the adjuster inside the seat on a pull up belt. Best solution is to move the attachment points further back so they sit outside the seat with enough clearance that you can still pull them tight.

I agree that the Scroth belts were the best ones we ever owned, but they're pricey and they won't recert them. But I think we'll buy them again next time we need belts.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

The Safecraft belts are the best I've seen. Very smooth and easy adjustment like the Schroth Enduro, with proper lap adjuster locations for quick/easy driver changes, and under $500. If I ever race another serious car, then I'll get my set recertified.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

TheEngineer wrote:

I agree that the Scroth belts were the best ones we ever owned, but they're pricey and they won't recert them. But I think we'll buy them again next time we need belts.

This is where we're at.  We have the Schroth Enduro belts and they are really nice.  They aren't cheap though!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Safecraft 5010.  The adjusters are built into the camlock tabs, making it the most compact harness I've ever seen.  Commonly used in Spec Miatas.  They are lifetime belts because Safecraft will recertify them for cheap.  They will also configure them to your liking, so seven-point (for example) is an option.

On the topic of pull-up belts: with pull-downs the angle of pull compresses your squishy bits.  Pulling up just tries to stretch the eyebolt.  Easier to get tight with pull-downs, assuming you have room for the adjusters and access for your arm.  I have in the past had to use the seat hole edge as a sort of pulley against which to pull up.  Not ideal, and a sign that your harness is poorly matched to your seat.

Thanks for all the input.  Sounds like we're having the same experience as others and I'm not missing something obvious. 

Like most everyone else, I'm sure we'll regret this decision and spend the money next time.

I hate my Gforce belts.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

13 (edited by VKZ24 2019-04-23 12:31 PM)

Fishah wrote:

I hate my Gforce belts.

Have you seen their latest offering?  They finally got the memo from Schroth and others to move the adjuster to the buckle also.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I have not. Has anyone tried those?

My belts expire in May, so I'll be in the market soon.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

VKZ24 wrote:

This is where we're at.  We have the Schroth Enduro belts and they are really nice.  They aren't cheap though!

The Schroth Enduro can be had from the UK for >$480 delivered these days. That's where we get ours.

Safecraft 5010s are $450 and (last I checked) $75 to recertify, so competitive with Schroth, price-wise.

We had the Enduros in one of our cars, and the Safecrafts are nicer.  Also, Charles Espenlaub is a nice guy.

Spraco has some nice designs with the adjusters integrated into the latch:

https://media.demon-tweeks.com/catalog/product/cache/image/560x560/e9c3970ab036de70892d86c6d221abfe/s/p/spa04818ralpd-rs-01.jpg

You need to buy them from Demon Tweeks, but the shipping is only ~$25 for shipping to the USA. ~$230 all said and done.

The Pentastar whisperer

Crow has some great new pull down lap belts that work well with a narrow deep seat at about half the price of the fancy names.  I just upgraded, and if you are in the market, I recommend you call them.
Pete

19 (edited by Spank 2019-04-25 09:03 AM)

ppressle wrote:

Crow has some great new pull down lap belts that work well with a narrow deep seat at about half the price of the fancy names.  I just upgraded, and if you are in the market, I recommend you call them.
Pete

+1

I didn't want to be known as the guy whose car killed a celebrity, but I also have to do this stuff on MY budget. I usually buy the cheapest rated belts I can find (g-force, pyrotect) but I was coerced into giving the newest Crow belts a go since they said they were built with the new endurance racing trend in mind (large pull loops for tightening and long pull up tabs for releasing, both make it easier to belt in a driver while you yourself are "over the wall" wearing sfi gloves). The lap belts were narrower than I was used to, but the material was superior to the others I've used before (including the older, cheaper Crow stuff I've had). The one previous complaint about the Crows was their cam buckle was large and smooth so tough to grip to turn/release and the belt end tangs that plug into the cam buckle were very large and it was difficult to get that last belt tang pushed in far enough to click-- that said, on the hardware on these newer narrower lap belts is way nicer and easier to both buckle in and release. They were double what I was used to spending, but still half of what I hear others are willing to spend.  The fact that they are local and they will recertify/reweb their own belts made it a "why not" moment and I tossed the credit card on the counter.

For the record-- I name dropped the celebrity I wanted to help protect and asked if they could "help out" with the price a little (pretty out-of-character for me because I hate asking for stuff)...

Nope. Nada. Nichts.

So I wasn't exactly eager to give them any free press after swallowing my shame and getting rejected. But, fair is fair and since Pete brought them up...  the belts are really nice.

Ooh, those do look nice.

2" laps are way easier to get tight, and I recall some research showing that they were at least as safe on the pelvis as 3" belts.

As a follow-up, I can give a report back on the Pyrotect FIA belts after having used them for a race.  We bought these:
https://pyrotectstore.com/product/ultra … ck-harness

Except that we wound up getting 2" lap belts, and the adjuster for the laps is built into the buckle (part that clips into the cam lock) for the pull-down version.  We also got the 3" to 2" shoulder upgrade.

We had really bad belts previously, so anything was going to be better.  But overall, we really liked them.  All the belts slide through all the adjusters easily.  The yellow pull loops on the shoulder belts worked great, and lap belts were also smooth to get tight. 

We bought from Andy Collins at Armadillo Racing, and because he's the NW Pyrotect dealer, and they are a sponsor of Lucky Dog Racing League, we got a 10% discount. Not sure if there is anything like that for Lemons racers, but you can ask.

Oh, and our belts expire in 2024, since they are FIA.  Very happy about that.

Hope that helps.

Dave

The only time I dealt with pull-up belts, they did not work. The adjuster was wedged next to the seat and did not really tighten or loosen. I do not know what application they work well in but it ain't ours.

We've run latch-links, cam-locks and the newer style enduro belts. We ditched our latch-links after the first race, cam-locks are way easier to deal with.

Re-certified belts are barely discounted. Some manufacturers just ask you to send in the certification tag. So it's mostly a discount program. I do not think FIA allows recertification. My last two sets of belts have been FIA, they are a little more expensive but have a longer life making them less expensive over time.

My old belts were G-Force camlocks pull up belts which worked fine for us. Like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gfr-7000bk

The biggest issue we had was varied driver size. I am a small dude and the pull straps need to go back through the seat to get tight enough for me if you just pull to the side in front of the seat the belt won't get tight enough.

I also HATE side swing belts, I want the buckle on the sub-belt.

Most recently we upgraded to the newer FIA belts from G Force and Racequip.
http://www.gforce.com/product/coming-so … arness-bk/
http://www.racequip.com/seatbeltsharnes … esses.html

My buddies car got the G Force belts in November and I installed the Racequips in mine in January. Having the adjuster and camlock tab in one piece makes the belt easier to use and adjust. The belts are about the same and a much more affordable alternative to the Schroth. Both belts are mostly 2" so I do not understand why the shoulder belts are 2" & 3" like why not make the whole thing 2"?

I got a deal on the Racequips and was able to get a 2019 belt in January making it good through 2023 or 2024. Point was I did not want a belt  that already lost a year since I was buying so early in the year.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z