Topic: Okstupid

Has anyone else tried to find drivers using the free agent system?

What's your protocol for cold emailing someone from the list?

I put Okstupid in the subject line, then write what I think is a mildly humorous but descriptive message.

Maybe I'm too far out in the normal Lemons planning cycle by several months? Maybe I'm not really funny? Maybe nobody wants to drive these terrible things? Or maybe a cold email is indistinguishable from the torrent of spam spewing across the internet these days?

Anyway, thoughts from the hive mind?

That guy

Re: Okstupid

I post in the drivers wanted section of the forums...

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

I do that too... But what's the point of a matchmaking service, then? It doesn't match necessarily to forum names, and maybe those folks who've registered as free agents don't want to post in the driver's looking for teams section.

That guy

DirtyDuc wrote:

Has anyone else tried to find drivers using the free agent system?

What's your protocol for cold emailing someone from the list?

I put Okstupid in the subject line, ...

Even if I was hoping/looking/expecting an email with an offer of a seat, if I had anything less than a familiar and friendly relationship with a recognized and known sender, if I received an email with "Okstupid" in the subject line which happened to make it past my vendor's configured SPAM filter,  and then past my configured Custom rules, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make it past my finger hovering over the "Delete" button - my personally rewarding SPAM filter - as I peruse my inbox.

And I'll just make a suggestion - take it or not:

I would also recommend _against_ using "You've won", "You've been selected", or "You're a Winner" (_especially_ a pseudo-clever mis-spelling popular on the forum) either. The first three are guaranteed to take a rewarding hot lap right to the trash bin - if I even see them. The last likely won't make it past personally automated rules.

Right, so I'm the security guy's worst nightmare. I know just enough to be a problem, but I don't have a big tech pocket or serious background in it.

I would think that if you signed up for a service called "Okstupid" that at least emails with that "passphrase" somewhere in the subject or body would go in a special bucket.

Otherwise it's essentially a useless list of email addresses... Without some kind of verification of identity... Which presumably the "service" expects us to do ourselves.... Meet in a public (or at least "safe") space, etc.

I think that's smart on the organizers part, on the other hand, I think it is useless to spend effort on something that doesn't come with at least a (this came from Lemons hq, so this shady character has at least bothered to jump thru our very low, and not really on fire hoops) modicum of "verification."

That guy

Ahhh - the service is headlined as okstupid - I didn't remember that... I did look over the section, but I haven't registered. I jumped in without foundation - sorry. Though you did ask the hive mind...

This shows my ignorance. When you register, are there directions to include okstupid in the subject line as a sender, and look for it as a hopeful driver?

With my memory failure I just admitted to [above], I'm not sure I would have carried a memory of "okstupid" to my inbox parsing, regardless.

// I just let the above sit for 20 minutes - I'm pretty sure I wouldn't remember "okstupid" longer than a week... and definitely not a month or more later.

How about "24HOL driver match"?