Topic: external wastegate plumbing and tech inspection

First post here. We are in the process of sorting out our newly acquired POS and getting it running and shifting again. The aforementioned POS came with a turbo setup of unknown provenance with an Chinese knockoff external wastegate (which needs some TLC). The wastegate empties to a short dump pipe (about 18 inches) straight down vertically from the manifold. The pipe ends just under the radiator line.

Question: Does this need to be fully piped to behind the driver?

Re: external wastegate plumbing and tech inspection

Yes.

All exhaust must end behind the driver, that's explicitly called out in the rules. wastegate dump is exhaust.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Tech is VERY concerned about exhaust entering the cabin, so ABSOLUTELY.
Easiest thing to do is merge it with existing exhaust.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

I'd be very worried if exhaust gasses were present in the intake tract between turbo and intake such that a wastegate could be construed as an exhaust pipe.

Emyr wrote:

I'd be very worried if exhaust gasses were present in the intake tract between turbo and intake such that a wastegate could be construed as an exhaust pipe.

wastegate = the part that diverts exhaust past the hot side of the turbo to control boost.

The thing you're thinking of on the intake side is the blow off or diverter valve.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

7 (edited by Emyr 2019-05-06 01:34 PM)

3 of my 4 daily drivers since I learned to drive have been turbodiesels.

Thank you for educating me.

edit: note the above is not sarcasm.

8 (edited by RobL 2019-05-06 02:10 PM)

TheEngineer wrote:

The thing you're thinking of on the intake side is the blow off or diverter valve.

Compressor bypass valve. 

Rant - I hate that the term blow off valve has been appropriated by the marketing teams to describe what this valve does.  There are real BOVs used in racing that do exactly what they describe - blow off air volume when the intake pressure exceeds a certain value.  [https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/2001 … 0106170039]

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Perfect. More piping it is.