Topic: Typical/Average Cost to turn street car into Lemons car

Hi All,
I have an 87' Chevy Celebrity that is currently my daily driver. My question is, if I were to do all the necessary mods (roll cage, fire suppression, kill switches, etc.) to make this Lemons legal, how much does that typically cost? I have been working with a total of about 4k to race, including registration (~$1500), $1000 in (2) racing suit set ups, and another $1500 in safety mods and running costs (Fuel, food, etc). How realistic have I been? If I've been an idiot, please tell me now before I start making promises to teammates, etc.
Many thanks for the help!

2 (edited by chaase 2019-05-13 10:32 AM)

Re: Typical/Average Cost to turn street car into Lemons car

That is a very large underestimate if I am reading your question correctly. The cheapest we've ever built a car for was around $2500.00 and that was us doing everything including cage fabrication and welding. That didn't include a fire suppression system, registration and driver safety gear all of which have gone up since we built that car.

Realistically double your estimate.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

3 (edited by chaase 2019-05-13 10:43 AM)

For comparison, we totaled up the cost to build the Javelin and it was about $6000.00 to build the car including race day expenses(car consumables not human consumables). We used a seat we already had but purchases a pre-bent cage. It doesn't count the registration costs or our personal safety gear.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Consider renting your safety gear (clothing, helmet and neck device) for your first race or two.  Cheaper than an outright purchase, and a good way to defer costs for your initial startup.  Some other sites sell used gear as well.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

5 (edited by chaase 2019-05-13 10:44 AM)

When you are on a tight budget, it is best to purchase a pre-built car that has been raced and rent the gear as the above poster recommended.

Lot's of examples on what people spent here:

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=36498

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

If you're looking for a car I will be selling one.  I can deliver to NJMP in June and an get it close to your budget.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

depends on your skill sets.... if you can weld and have good mechanical skills about 2k. If you can't well. plan on about 4k.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"