Topic: Quiet exhaust LOUD HORN!?

So I have the largest muffler I could find/fit on my bmw. (I like to hear the other cars coming up on me. But this is causing a problem. At the last race I got blatantly turned in on 2 times both times I went into the dirt to avoid collisions at which point I got a "OH SHIT SORRY!" Wave. So I am thinking I'll get a loud horn to blast for passing. I never saw rules foreboding this as long as it doesn't resemble a safety vehicle.

Did I miss somthing?

Owner/Captain of The 27 Club E46. Phoenix, AZ
and now the #95 Thunderbird

2 (edited by Fishah 2019-05-15 01:04 PM)

Re: Quiet exhaust LOUD HORN!?

IMO If you have to use a horn to keep people from turning in on you, you're doing something wrong.

I always tell my drivers not to go inside of someone on corner entry unless you're 100% sure that they know you're there, which means you're so far alongside that they can see you clearly.

I would probably be pretty pissed if someone started honking at me on the race track.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

I too would get annoyed. Loud sudden noises are not a welcome thing on the track.

I too get turned in on, enough that I now do not attempt inside passes unless I know the person knows I'm there (just like Fishah said). That's just how Lemons is.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Sexy jesus wrote:

... I'll get a loud horn to blast for passing. ...

Soooo, you want to pass like you're from NYC? ;-)

TheEngineer wrote:

Loud sudden noises are not a welcome thing on the track.

Yeah, if I suddenly heard a loud horn from an approaching vehicle (and in my case, all other vehicles on track are approaching vehicles...), my first thought would be "Oh, crap, is that the tow truck/ambulance/fire truck?" and not "Oh, that must be a fellow racer informing me of an incipient pass," which means it would indeed fall under the "or similar" part of 3.J.10.

Also, if the plan is to honk the horn regularly for passes, please stop and ask whether this idea passes the "What if everyone else did this, too?" test. It does not.

Finally, if the "loud horn" truly is loud, I imagine the 92dB limit of 3.I.5 would be interpreted to refer to more than just the exhaust.

Overall, my guess is this would quickly lead to being flagged and told to knock it off.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Back when the People's Curse was still alive and well, I seem to recall a team having their car crushed specifically because they were using the horn while passing.  There may exist a clue in that in regards to how well your idea will be received.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

A simple exhaust leak at the header will induce backfires that alert cars that you are nearby..... at least I've been told this works.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Yeah, the only time I've ever had road rage on track was when a Prius, of all things, started indignantly "tooting" it's little horn to pass in a tight (what other kind is there?) Sonoma corner. I let him by because I couldn't hear the damn thing, either... So yeah, I'd probably just make the exhaust louder smile

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

9 (edited by Sexy jesus 2019-05-15 04:30 PM)

Sadly.both incidents were in the straights... I was on the outside (left) Going around cars like door to door and they decided they needed to get further over to the left in order to make the right hand turn coming up. But didn't seem see me. This is where I feel the horn would be of use. (Ah fuck they are coming over!beeeep)

So maybe they actually turned out on me? If that's a thing.

Owner/Captain of The 27 Club E46. Phoenix, AZ
and now the #95 Thunderbird

Horn's are for getting spacecases to move out of the way in the paddock. Your BRAIN is for using to keep people from wandering into you on the track. You can't really hear a horn, and even when you can, you have no idea where it's coming from. Honestly you wan't people to notice you on the track, there are ways to do that.

http://www.roadkill.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/NyanCar.jpg

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Sexy jesus wrote:

Sadly.both incidents were in the straights... I was on the outside (left) Going around cars like door to door and they decided they needed to get further over to the left in order to make the right hand turn coming up. But didn't seem see me. This is where I feel the horn would be of use. (Ah fuck they are coming over!beeeep)

So maybe they actually turned out on me? If that's a thing.

I would recommend always passing on the inside whenever possible. Passing on the outside is a sure fire way for them to not know you're there, every time. The idiot who leaves a lane on the left on a straight, is never going to be clever enough to check his his mirrors before wandering over.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

If someone doesn't know you're there, and then you blast a train horn, I can almost guarantee the other driver jumps and moves to where they think there is no car, which would be where you are.

Reading traffic and learning safe passing of cars who aren't situationally aware is a large chunk of driving in Lemons. Scaring them with horns isn't the right shortcut. Making your exhaust stupid loud will only serve to ruin your hearing (he says with the now loud saab that requires more hearing protection).

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

If your goal is to piss a bunch of people off, use a horn on a race track.  I still remember how pissed I was when someone flashed their headlights at me in a HPDE.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

If your goal is to piss a bunch of people off, use a horn on a race track.  I still remember how pissed I was when someone flashed their headlights at me in a HPDE.

Pffft...dont you watch IMSA?  This was obviously a higher classed car with more speed and a better driver.  And everyone knows your HPDE lap times are recorded and used for future contract negotiations in Formula 1.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

jbl wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

Pffft...dont you watch IMSA?  This was obviously a higher classed car with more speed and a better driver.  And everyone knows your HPDE lap times are recorded and used for future contract negotiations in Formula 1.

I think this was the guy behind me. wink

Video Link

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

As a driver of a quiet car I'll say its nice to be the sleeper. We make a sleepy little car go pretty good from time to time.

As an endurance racer, as soon as I think I have an overtake advantage on another car I remind myself not to rush the pass. It either works or it doesn't.  Setting up an exit line pass can be even more fun than bombing a car whose driver may not know you are coming. In an "all at fault" case its best not to hit another car and odds are with your method eventually the bent metal is going to be the other cars door and your front corner. The other car may not own the line but neither do you.

I do sometimes want a horn in the paddock to say hello but that's about it. its hard to yell out of the helmet.

#44 VW Jetta "Le Mondrian"
Arsesweat '17 finished 10th in (B), 3 finishes in 7 races
#96 Silver Subaru Legacy Automatic w Orange Top (formerly)

bikejeff wrote:

I do sometimes want a horn in the paddock to say GET THE HELL OUTTA THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!! but that's about it. its hard to yell out of the helmet.

FTFY

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

18 (edited by fleming95 2019-05-17 05:41 PM)

bikejeff wrote:

As a driver of a quiet car I'll say its nice to be the sleeper. We make a sleepy little car go pretty good from time to time.

<snip>

I do sometimes want a horn in the paddock to say hello but that's about it. its hard to yell out of the helmet.

Yep on that - when I was driving the Titanic I rigged up a fog horn out of an air mattress filler and some ABS pipe.

Worked great - flip the switch, filler spools up in a second or two, the oooooooooooooOOOOOOOhhhhhh tone rolls out over the pits,... and gets a big ole smile out of the young gal working on her car as the Titanic rolled by... first and last time I got to honk at the 'girl next door'...

(which almost made the tongue lashing I got at home while building and testing the fog horn worthwhile)

Make me "prowed"Lemoneirs!

https://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-PVC-Fog-Horn/

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport