Topic: To wipe or not to wipe?

Windshield wipers? Keep them? Sell them and the motors and just run RainX?

I do that on my daily Rx7, but I ask in case I'm missing some big picture stuff when it comes to enduro racing..

Check out our YouTube Channel to see out shity car.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je_ZhLJ … 2&t=0s

Re: To wipe or not to wipe?

Keep them.  It will rain and they really help, even if you heavily rain-x.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Sonic wrote:

This x1000

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Former 'Rain-x will be fine' guy.  Keep them.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

Keep the spray as well.  Nothing beats pushing a button and having a clean windscreen after getting 4-6 hours of rubber and oil on it.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Keep them and the defogger too

MBTL Racing

Ratdoggy wrote:

Keep them and the defogger too

Even better, keep the windshield wipers, defroster AND bi-lev to dry your boots out while driving!

The first time it rains you'll be glad the wipers are still there.

Stuff on the inside of the car is hotly debated. There are a bunch of options with pros and cons

Stock defroster/blower:
Pros- Good airflow source that's evenly spread over the windshield. Better than anything you'll rig on your own
cons - less effective when the AC is gone, takes up a lot of space.

Electric defroster kit (https://www.frostfighter.com/clear-view … -about.htm)
Pros - Hands down the best universal solution for keeping the inside of your glass from fogging. It works on any car so long as you follow the install instructions correctly (most need a controller, not a straight 12V source).
Cons - finicky to install.

Chemical solutions (barbasol, anti-fog, etc)
pros - cheap, easy enough to apply
cons - effectiveness is hugely dependent on your car. It works well on some, and not at all on others. Depends on a bunch of factors such as how turbulent the air is inside your car with the windows down, how much water sucks in while driving, etc. It also doesn't last forever and many people notice it won't last the full day in heavy rain.

Rag on a stick
pros - Cheap?
cons - literally the worst solution. Seriously, why are you relying on a solution that forces you to take a hand off the wheel and take your focus off what's around you?

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Sonic wrote:

/agree

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

TheEngineer wrote:

Rag on a stick
pros - Cheap?
cons - literally the worst solution. Seriously, why are you relying on a solution that forces you to take a hand off the wheel and take your focus off what's around you?

Incorrect.  The worst solution is loosening the shoulder belts through the esses at Sears Point every lap and glove-wiping the inside of the windshield after a North wind blows your own tire spray onto it while also soaking the left side of your helmet and neck.

Unless you run some place like Daytona where ours sat about 3" off of the windshield dancing in the air nowhere close to the windshield.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

Pitch the car 90* sideways- the air coming through the window will almost instantly clear it.

Pitch the car 90* sideways- your team can clean the screen while you explain yourself in the penalty box.

14 (edited by gunn 2019-05-21 05:37 PM)

"add lightness":
I cut my assembly in half and removed the passenger side arm/mechanism and half the plastic assembly.
The motor still moves one wiper in front of the driver and I bought the longest wiper that I could fit (24" i think).

FWIW, sometimes I wish I had wired in a bilge fan as a defroster. Most of the time though, we just plan for races which don't rain (probably not this year).

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Because Jaguar windshields are basically unobtainium and we are forced to use poly-carbonate (still not cheap). I am developing an airblade-type wiper that runs off a compressor. Sight is more important than weight.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

gunn wrote:

"add lightness":
I cut my assembly in half and removed the passenger side arm/mechanism and half the plastic assembly.
The motor still moves one wiper in front of the driver.

FWIW, sometimes I wish I had wired in a bilge fan as a defroster. Most of the time though, we just plan for races which don't rain (probably not this year).

We've done both of these mods.
You can attach the bilge fan to the defroster duct for factory-level air distribution.
It's no worse than my '65 Mustang was.

steve wrote:

Unless you run some place like Daytona where ours sat about 3" off of the windshield dancing in the air nowhere close to the windshield.

If you're driving that fast Rain-X will do the job.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

With wipers. The rain and splash can be too much.