Re: poll: Should we put new rings in this and run it

SBC

Saab two-stroke...

That guy

DirtyDuc wrote:

Saab two-stroke...

Hey! As the owner of a '67 96 I take great offense at that. I'll have you know the last two-strokes were made well before the company changed its name: It's SAAB, not Saab. "Saab" was introduced during the later era of newfangled engines with valves and such.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

29 (edited by DirtyDuc 2019-05-30 05:50 PM)

mharrell wrote:
DirtyDuc wrote:

Saab two-stroke...

Hey! As the owner of a '67 96 I take great offense at that. I'll have you know the last two-strokes were made well before the company changed its name: It's SAAB, not Saab. "Saab" was introduced during the later era of newfangled engines with valves and such.

[/Troll]
Actually my first thought was Ford v4.

Borgward or hansa anything.

That guy

DirtyDuc wrote:

Actually my first thought was Ford v4.

That would be a pretty good choice, which is to say a pretty bad-good or good-bad choice. Parts availability for the Taunus V4 is okay-ish in the US, thanks largely* to its use in the 95/96/97, but for bonus difficulties the clear winner is the Essex V4.

*I would say "entirely," but there's a persistent claim that its minor use at the time as a US agricultural/industrial/stationary engine also helps keep parts flowing, although I've never actually seen an example of this.

DirtyDuc wrote:

Borgward...

Oh, come on. Where's anyone going to find one of those?

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

You can find suzuki/geo 1.0 3-cyl engines quite easily.  There was one sitting on the ground and the picknpull on half-price day, almost bought it just because I could have picked it up and carried out,
but why do I need three of them when I don't really use the spare I have already.  wink

32 (edited by rozap_ 2019-05-30 11:02 PM)

We were thinking either 3-cyl geo metro (easier) or the "free" 2.8l vr6 sitting on the floor of my garage (likely a bit too wide).

I think we're just gonna get new rings and try to send it. We'll see how it works, and if it is terrible we will reevaluate our life choices.

We're in no rush to make it to a race this year, so we are just taking our time...

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9

Troy wrote:

What would be an Ill advised engine swap for a Fiat anyway?

Chrysler 2.2?

Pontiac Iron Duke?

RandolphCarter wrote:
Troy wrote:

Chrysler 2.2 Turb0?

FTFY

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

nimblemotorsports wrote:

You can find suzuki/geo 1.0 3-cyl engines, ...
but why do I need three of them when I don't really use the spare I have already.  wink

To build a straight 9-cylinder engine, of course.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

People swap Fiat engines into Yugos, maybe you should swap a Yugo engine into your Fiat.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Troy wrote:

What would be an I'll advised engine swap for a Fiat anyway?

What about a 4cyl ecotec?

probably cheaper than other 4cyl donor options (like anything honda, Nissan, or Volvo)
Not sure it would fit but the Honda J30 or equivalent Camry V6 is also pretty cheap.

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

My vote is Pontiac 2.0 turbo from a Sunbird. All sorts of awesome.

Team BAD Company Endurance
Acura RSX #0
4 times losers, and counting...
"I got screwed" winners? 2018 Cure for Gingervitis, 5th on laps overall 2018 Elite meet to Cheat

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/ … 98380.html

chaase wrote:
RandolphCarter wrote:
Troy wrote:

Chrysler 2.2 Variable Nozzle Turb0?

FTFY

I agree, with an additional fix.

Update because I hate threads with no conclusion: all back together now, has good compression and runs nicely. It also feels more gutless than my VW bus. This is a major success.

https://youtu.be/SqjCoWsQs20

Got pics of the cylinders after the hone? (Assuming you did hone it again?)

Captain of AFART Racing - 1987 and 1988 Toyota Supras
Captain of McDads/AFART Racing -1977 Lancia Scorpion (IOE Winner Sears Pointless 2021... wait, really?? YES, REALLY!!).
Captain of 42 Hours of MeLons (2013-14) - Vattenmelon Vagn 1984 Volvo 240, B-Class Winner: Arse-Freeze 2014

Sorry, didn't take any. We honed it a bit more but it was still pretty sketchy looking.

Did you just use the dingle balls? I really think you should've gone down to Autozone or wherever and rented the flat hone tool. I've been through this process on almost exactly that same engine and the cylinder walls looked similar, but the condition after honing was much better and compression improved significantly with the new rings!

Captain of AFART Racing - 1987 and 1988 Toyota Supras
Captain of McDads/AFART Racing -1977 Lancia Scorpion (IOE Winner Sears Pointless 2021... wait, really?? YES, REALLY!!).
Captain of 42 Hours of MeLons (2013-14) - Vattenmelon Vagn 1984 Volvo 240, B-Class Winner: Arse-Freeze 2014

45 (edited by rozap_ 2019-09-14 09:01 AM)

Yea. Did you do oversize pistons though? That's what I was hoping to avoid for budget reasons.

Maybe it'll all blow up. I'm planning to put some miles on it before the ridge next year, which is the race we're shooting for. So I guess we'll see.

Best thing about Lemons:

Proving everyone wrong.

They really arent super zippy in tiptop condition.  If you have good compression and it idles nice, run it and watch your oil consumption.  It's a momentum car anyway.  Check rear wheel bearings for play.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

48 (edited by rozap_ 2021-07-20 12:53 PM)

So we registered for the ORP race this weekend. This is the car now. It runs well at the moment, so we'll see how many laps we get in.
https://i.imgur.com/PCyKpxr.jpg

And we were putting together our documentation on lemon eligibility, and found these pictures. I forgot how bad it was. Not just rust in the cylinders, there's also mouse poo.

https://i.imgur.com/HgZ4rVf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/U0IJb8D.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zEu9iNw.jpg

And this was our head resurfacing strategy. It "worked".
https://i.imgur.com/R4BDfEA.png

So we ended up getting 176 laps at ORP and took the checkered flag. We had a few issues. First was transponder not working because we're idiots and mounted it in a bad spot. Next was a shitty amazon oil pressure sender telling us we had no oil pressure.  Day two we thought we were on fire but it was just that oil pressure sender not only failing, but also spewing oil everywhere, so we plugged it. Then the water pump + alternator belt broke because our alternator was falling off. Fixed it and went back out and had no more issues. The car ran well, no oil consumption. It was slow as shit though.

https://i.imgur.com/ps6qO5Z.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ch2Euax.jpg

Well.....er...poorly done!

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)