Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

I'm drawing on hazy motorcycle knowledge and pictures of LSR cars with similar setups.

It's probably best if you set it to match the design action of the shock. Shock valving can be configured from the factory to act in any number of angles and ratios.

Presumably, car shocks are designed for direct action, so you should probably keep the ratio linear (1:1). If, like on some motorcycles, there is a rocker arm in the mix, you should probably try to match that ratio.

Spring rate is of least concern, because they're easily swapped for something else.

That guy

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

I saw the instagram post about the 458. Honest question, how'd one make it to a yard with so much still on it? I would have assumed any team retiring a chassis would strip out stuff like all the data systems, radios, fire suppression, stuff like that.


I am no suspension expert, but I would say if you just track your ratios, use them to find the resulting loads at the shocks, and source a shock that was designed for similar, you'll be ok. Obviously aiming to keep it 1:1 makes your life easier on the math side.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Turbo Dodge Powered E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

678

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

darkostoj wrote:

Steering wheels are exempt?  K, good. 

Got a Ferrari 458 Challenge show up with a bunch of goodies...

C'mon....It BOLTS IN!

Now the only issue is I literally don't have one thing for those buttons to do other than a radio...

https://i.imgur.com/GmogMy9.jpg



Gotta love the "LEFT" & "RIGHT" labels on the wheel.  wink

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

TheEngineer wrote:

I saw the instagram post about the 458. Honest question, how'd one make it to a yard with so much still on it? I would have assumed any team retiring a chassis would strip out stuff like all the data systems, radios, fire suppression, stuff like that.


I am no suspension expert, but I would say if you just track your ratios, use them to find the resulting loads at the shocks, and source a shock that was designed for similar, you'll be ok. Obviously aiming to keep it 1:1 makes your life easier on the math side.

When it comes to the Ferrari guys, I think they couldn't be bothered with their worn out items when it comes time to upgrade...

Team Pacific Motors - 1977 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

VKZ24 wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

Steering wheels are exempt?  K, good. 

Got a Ferrari 458 Challenge show up with a bunch of goodies...

C'mon....It BOLTS IN!

Now the only issue is I literally don't have one thing for those buttons to do other than a radio...

https://i.imgur.com/GmogMy9.jpg



Gotta love the "LEFT" & "RIGHT" labels on the wheel.  wink

Hah!  Didn't notice that.

Team Pacific Motors - 1977 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

darkostoj wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

I saw the instagram post about the 458. Honest question, how'd one make it to a yard with so much still on it? I would have assumed any team retiring a chassis would strip out stuff like all the data systems, radios, fire suppression, stuff like that.


I am no suspension expert, but I would say if you just track your ratios, use them to find the resulting loads at the shocks, and source a shock that was designed for similar, you'll be ok. Obviously aiming to keep it 1:1 makes your life easier on the math side.

When it comes to the Ferrari guys, I think they couldn't be bothered with their worn out items when it comes time to upgrade...


lucky you in that case. And jealous rest of us.


Use the wheel, find stupid things for the buttons to activate. Just put new labels over them for all the silly new gadgets.

Right and left I assume are blinkers?

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Turbo Dodge Powered E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

Use one of the buttons for a drink system. We set up a small cooler with water stored in it attached to a 12v pump controlled by the button.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1 - needs a theme
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - Organizer's Choice

683

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

chaase wrote:

Use one of the buttons for a drink system. We set up a small cooler with water stored in it attached to a 12v pump controlled by the button.

We tried that, and the pump was too strong.  It was like having a small fire hose in your mouth.  I probably need to revisit the idea and use a flow/speed control to make it more user friendly.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

I agree with Q in regards to sticking with 1:1 ratio.  If you start with something other than that and things are wonky, which way do you go with ratio and how do you keep from simultaneously dialing in the springs while dialing out the shocks?  How the shocks react to being under/over driven via ratio is kind of the X factor.  I'm wondering if you could separate the problems by having the shocks mounted in a conventional location and then using a dummy shock as a holder for your remote rocker activated coilover.  Also, not all shocks like to be laid over.

This is the type of problem that I've always liked to play around with and I suppose I could ask some of the Indycar guys but they seem to be a bit busy this weekend.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita" 
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)
1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless)
1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites) (Sold -> Houston.  Gone and forgotten)

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

VKZ24 wrote:
chaase wrote:

Use one of the buttons for a drink system. We set up a small cooler with water stored in it attached to a 12v pump controlled by the button.

We tried that, and the pump was too strong.  It was like having a small fire hose in your mouth.  I probably need to revisit the idea and use a flow/speed control to make it more user friendly.

What type of pump? We use a windshield washer fluid pump. Its a little string but once you get used to it, its fine.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1 - needs a theme
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - Organizer's Choice

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

So...The only engineering training I've had is that of being an idiot and thinking I can make stuff.  That triangular pivot block, could you machine it with several locating holes each for the coilover and linkage arm so that you could try all the combinations you're asking about?

I'm prepared to be told this is the worst possible choice ever, so fire away.

687 (edited by darkostoj 2019-05-28 03:10 PM)

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

bilcoh wrote:

So...The only engineering training I've had is that of being an idiot and thinking I can make stuff.  That triangular pivot block, could you machine it with several locating holes each for the coilover and linkage arm so that you could try all the combinations you're asking about?

I'm prepared to be told this is the worst possible choice ever, so fire away.

In theory yes, but in reality the amount of distance the bolt holes need to be spread apart is to large.  So, adjusting by bolt holes will adjust "too much" if that makes sense.

Dunno, still trying to figure it all out myself. Slowly making progress.

Team Pacific Motors - 1977 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

Oh, of course.  Makes perfect sense.  Alternately, then, is it worth machining a few of those pivots with different anchor points?  Can you tell I engineer by trial and error?  It's super efficient.

689 (edited by darkostoj 2019-05-28 05:47 PM)

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

bilcoh wrote:

Oh, of course.  Makes perfect sense.  Alternately, then, is it worth machining a few of those pivots with different anchor points?  Can you tell I engineer by trial and error?  It's super efficient.

Yeah, probably...I mean I am also engineering by trail and error over here... Who knows if this is even going to work.

I just realized one of the guys has access to a laser etcher at work...man talk about a hella score.

These are the pivot mounts for the bellcrank.

https://i.imgur.com/u0ERIXM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8h13vPF.jpg

Made new frame rail extensions for the upper coilover mounts.

https://i.imgur.com/1Mwf4LX.jpg

The car is starting to look like something underneath.  I must say the forklift fork axle mount is possibly my favorite part of the car.

https://i.imgur.com/hJe6YBU.jpg

Team Pacific Motors - 1977 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

you have access to a laser cutter too? Dammit man you're killing me.

CNC tools rule, but I have to make due with my lowly cnc plasma. I would so love a laser.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Turbo Dodge Powered E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

TheEngineer wrote:

you have access to a laser cutter too? Dammit man you're killing me.

CNC tools rule, but I have to make due with my lowly cnc plasma. I would so love a laser.

Yeah I just found out one of the team guys has one at work he can use and I just about pooped my pants.  The guy who runs it thinks the Rolls is super cool so it sounds like he is willing to help with cutting parts.  I have been drafting 2D brackets in Autocad and I have about 30 I'm going to unload on them tomorrow.  Hopefully the offer still stands! hah!

Team Pacific Motors - 1977 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

Nice to see the Bridgeport contributing to the party.

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

So, definately underestimated the engineering-ness of the stuff I got myself into.

Anyhow, if all of this actually works....so sweet.

14 Hour day today...sheesh

https://i.imgur.com/DfZPDOX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MvGTkQ3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cSANzcf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fNt3pca.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/be2IK65.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0y33bfU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3Lr2k8c.jpg

I have to say, I am very excited about the steering wheels.

https://i.imgur.com/2bKuOPG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rtPnXgw.jpg

Team Pacific Motors - 1977 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

_Every_ time I see that Sterling silver steering wheel I chuckle.

Classic...

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

what does that thing weigh?

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

Mr.Yuck wrote:

what does that thing weigh?

Don't know. I think a lot!

Team Pacific Motors - 1977 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

Definately a lot. If we’re starting a pool, my “money” is on 4700#

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!"
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata.

698

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

Guildenstern wrote:

Definately a lot. If we’re starting a pool, my “money” is on 4700#

I vote "Adequate".


Q: Was it RR, Bentley, or both that would rate their performance figures with that adjective before the Germans bought them out?

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

I am getting a little worried.  This little suspension project is beyond my skills, and its becoming pretty complicated.

Common sense engineering everybody:

https://i.imgur.com/dUiYMJC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BjsIoXN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dgDIUMZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5ij7M1L.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Rrjth3k.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AtkZMwB.jpg

Team Pacific Motors - 1977 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

If you lighten the car up it wouldn't ave to be so heavy duty. I see a lot of metal that can come out. Our F-body was almost a shell on a cage.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"