Topic: Where can I buy a cheap transponder?

Where can I buy a cheap transponder? What are the options?

Re: Where can I buy a cheap transponder?

Just rent from Lemons. It's a $100.00 a year subscription fee even if you did find a used one to buy. So really you would have to reliably do more than 2 races a year to break even. And with renting you don't have to worry about losing it, or forgetting to charge it, or forgetting to renew.

As far as I know AMB (MyLaps) will only transfer FLEX and X2 units to a new owner. And you'll want a Car unit specifically. And know they are sealed and the older ones batteries are pretty old by this point.

Just let Lemons deal with it.

You can still Register with Speedhive, or whatever they're calling it this week and download your laps because Roland loads up everything properly and you'll see your teams name and everything even with a rental.Unless you run with another organization that requires you to buy a transponder, or you race like 4 times or more a year reliably, it's just not worth buying.

Also FYI Lemons now uses X2 transponders so definitely get your own X2 bracket and install it on the car. That way you just pop the x-pnder on and strap it in. and they're only like $9 + Shipping.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

And with renting you don't have to worry about losing it...

To clarify, with a rental you won't have to worry about losing your own transponder between races. If you lose/damage/destroy the rental during the race, Lemons HQ will expect you to pay for it. It doesn't come with insurance against any of that.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Guildenstern is right...if you only do a couple races a year and aren't sure you're in for the longer haul, renting is easy and probably cheaper. 

If you're like us, we'll be running 6 races in our first year.  To avoid all the headaches of charging, losing, etc., we bought a direct power unit and did the 2 year subscription.  So our unit will pay for itself in the first year.  If we're still going strong, we'll probably renew the subscription for 5 years after that.

Certainty about racing and expected number of races is the whole key to your calculus. 

Oh, and to answer your original question, cheap transponders don't exist.  The pre-subscription used ones are pricey enough that you need to be sure you're in for 10 races for them to pay off.  Only other option is the new stuff.

Hope that helps confuse things even more.

Those fun folks at MyLaps have their hand out at every turn.

I've had no issues with the yellow Tranx160 transponder.  6 years in have yet to have any issues with it even with something that built some straight speed like the V12 Jag.  Charge still lasts for 4 days.  I found they are cheaper on karting websites particularly at the end of the year.  You only want the yellow or (preferably) red Tranx260 ones.  The rest record up to speeds less than we typically go.  Once the MyLaps folks went the subscription route, the prices of used "owned" ones went up.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

mharrell wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

And with renting you don't have to worry about losing it...

To clarify, with a rental you won't have to worry about losing your own transponder between races. If you lose/damage/destroy the rental during the race, Lemons HQ will expect you to pay for it. It doesn't come with insurance against any of that.

Correct. I was thinking the 50 weeks of not racing. Where all the good losing things happens.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

bilcoh wrote:

If you're like us, we'll be running 6 races in our first year.

Even if it were an option where I lived, I just don't have the attention span to ever think that would be a thing to do.

Guildenstern wrote:
bilcoh wrote:

If you're like us, we'll be running 6 races in our first year.

Even if it were an option where I lived, I just don't have the attention span to ever think that would be a thing to do.

Sorry.  Didn't mention that we are also running another unnamed series.  Only 2 Lemons races annually in our neck of the woods.

cheseroo wrote:

Tranx260 ones..

Have had a old red transX 260 for 10 years,works perfectly up to our top speed of 150mph....nursed the 2 day battery for 8 years, some guy in TX can change batts.for cheapish.

4-5 races per year.

Screw paying a subscription.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Team Infinniti wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Tranx260 ones..

Have had a old red transX 260 for 10 years,works perfectly up to our top speed of 150mph....nursed the 2 day battery for 8 years, some guy in TX can change batts.for cheapish.

4-5 races per year.

Yup, this.

Watch ebay daily.  Some time one will pop up reasonably.

Also, google search for the model you want.  Sometimes will link to some forum where someone is selling.  Ours has paid for itself around 5 times already.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Team Infinniti wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Tranx260 ones..

4-5 races per year.

We have the hardwired version and have also owned for over 10 years with no problems.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

12 (edited by gus 2019-06-19 02:02 PM)

So I wen't down a related rabbit hole recently, as having to pay a yearly fee to use hardware you already have is absurd, especially when you don't get any new features or upgrades each year.

I reverse engineered nearly all of the MyLaps X2 transponder, down to the component level, with full schematics and part numbers. The goal was to research either re-implementing the transponder part or find a way to trick the transponder into staying "active" without paying the yearly fee. Ultimately I hit a reasonable wall and determined there was only one or two possible attacks, but neither were very good and had a low likelihood of working.

The sad part of this all is that 80% of the engineering and hardware inside the X2 transponder is basically there for DRM. The core transponder functionality and circuitry is ridiculously simple, and could be implemented stand-alone with <$5 in components (and retail for $50 with profit). Looking into the engineering behind the transponder it's clear that the main goal of the design was to protect people from "unlocking" or cloning the transponders. Even the "Direct Power" feature exists in hardware in all transponders, but it's only enabled through a secured/encrypted software flag.

The other disappointing thing about X2 is that it's marketed at least as a "next generation" transponder, but it doesn't actually do much different from the original TranX models, except implement a bunch of DRM. Reading the copy on their website I thought it may have been two-way and I could see my lap times on the X2's CAN bus, but none of that exists and MyLaps has no motivation to add any useful features for free.

I would like to get my hands on a TranX260, even if just to borrow one and probe it a little. Given the tech inside those older models and the year that they were designed, I expect that any security that they have (if any) would be much simpler to defeat and then replicate in custom (cheaper, DRM free) hardware. The RC drone racing and RC car racing guys have already reverse engineered those variants of transponders, so I'm confident it's possible with the 260. That's at least until MyLaps decides to end-of-life the older TranX models and force everyone to use the X2's.

Anyway, to answer your original question: For now if you do 3 or more races a year, just buy the X2 transponder and feed the ridiculous monopoly that is MyLaps. Otherwise just rent it and split the $50 between your drivers.

I also think it is crazy they still have a monopoly on race timings after all these years.
I created an alternative for r/c racing, but the business was not successful.  Mine had a lot of better features, like 'leader light' showing who was in the lead (r/c racing it really helps), and personal lap timer and sensor inputs feedback like fuel level and motor temps.  It would send the same serial data as the amb system, so all the race software worked.

I actually spend a lot of time working on an in-car yellow/black flag system using my custom radios
that also does lap times. But you know doing 10 projects at once when you only have time for 2 means things don't get done like you hope.  So I also researched being able to signal the amb system too.
I'm sure the 260 would be easy to reverse engineer.  Maybe someday when I have finished the other 8 projects, and the 3 or 5 more I've added since then..  If you have the time, DOIT.

gus wrote:

I would like to get my hands on a TranX260, even if just to borrow one and probe it a little. Given the tech inside those older models and the year that they were designed, I expect that any security that they have (if any) would be much simpler to defeat and then replicate in custom (cheaper, DRM free) hardware. The RC drone racing and RC car racing guys have already reverse engineered those variants of transponders, so I'm confident it's possible with the 260. That's at least until MyLaps decides to end-of-life the older TranX models and force everyone to use the X2's.

I have an MX model that you could tear apart to your heart's content.  Only difference between the 260/160/MX is the top speed they will register.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

15 (edited by Spank 2019-06-19 10:58 PM)

cheseroo wrote:

I have an MX model that you could tear apart to your heart's content.  Only difference between the 260/160/MX is the top speed they will register.

Maybe.

Maybe Not.

I tried to use an orange motocross (MX?) transponder in Lemons and it totally froze and glitched the entire timing and scoring system, says Roland. He's not sure why, but something about their signal is different he says.

I have an older hardwired red transponder that apparently doesn't work. You are welcome to give that one a whirl. I was going to open it up and see if it is just the power wire that broke off somehow, just haven't gotten around to it.

The unfortunate fact is, you’re not paying for the transponder, you’re paying for the “privilege” of being recognized by the Orbits system.

You could build a clone transponder, but at worst it will crash the timing and scoring equipment like the motocross one, and at best it will just be ignored by the decoder or the orbits client. Although more likely they won’t even accept your “transponder number” and tell you you need to rent one because your car can’t be put in the system.

Believe me, I went around, and around with this with Roland. AMB/Mylaps has the track infrastructure on lock. Their loops are installed in the track so getting another system in place is unlikely. I don’t know the details of the licensing and patents on the Loop itself, but any alternative would have to use it or be universally established enough to convince track operators to cut another trench in their very expensive asphalt. Also it would require convincing Roland or Jay to scrap some absurdly expensive hardware they only recently re-invested in. Because you think the transponder is expensive, you should see the price of the Decoder or a copy of orbits. Or those fancy multi charger travel cases the transponders are kept in. AMB gets everyones money.

Presumably the X2 exists to re-up the patents as much as establish a more robust DRM. Also I’m sure at some point in the near future they’ll just stop “supporting” the TranXs with a software update once they start seeing enough long dormant TranXs suddenly out turning laps again.

@Spank - I'll definitely take you up on that offer. Worst case I can't make it work, best case I can repair it, get what I need, then return it!

I'll derail this thread just a bit more since there's some interest. The only difference between the 160 and the 260 in hardware is a jumper that sets RF power output. The firmware is also slightly different as the 160 has a 3 ms update rate and the 260 has a 20 ms update rate. It's likely that if the decoder is set to accept the 260/X2-Car it get's confused by a 160 and all it's extra packets, it's possibly also a slightly different packet that it sends that just causes the decoder to just go into a error state.

@Guildenstern:
At best a clone/compatible transponder would be indistinguishable from a genuine one, that's the real goal. These are just 1's and 0's transmitted in a defined sequence. It's a very basic digital signal modulated onto a carrier frequency using a simple analog circuit. There's no handshaking or challenge/response or analog RF magic. The RC drone and car guys have had clone/compatible transponders for years that the AMB decoders can't distinguish and I think we could too.

I do agree that the monopoly is the way things are and will continue to be until someone challenges it. I don't know Roland or any people who own tracks, but I assume that the track purchases and owns the loop hardware, which is just an antenna, nothing fancy. It's not impossible to imagine some new system coming out that just connects to the existing loops, in fact that's what's been happening with the RC drone/car guys for a while now.

In some ideal dream-land, org's like Lemons could continue to use tracks existing loops and their expensive X2 decoders and orbits software, and racers or the org themselves could buy compatible transponders that doesn't expire or need to be "activated" before each use. I wouldn't really shed a tear for Roland or Jay having invested in all their X2 transponders if they became obsolete in a few years. At $50/race rental and $120/yr cost (retail!) I would expect that investment to pay for itself over a year of races. If it didn't they would charge more than $50.

I do agree that if anything like this threatens MyLaps they would lock out the TranX support with a software update. This happened to the RC drone/car guys so they just built their own decoders too. After all, this is Lemons and challenging the status quo kind of seems like a common theme among us all smile

Lemons doesn't actually own the transponders that they rent out, they rent them from another organization. When they went to the new X2 transponders I asked Roland what would happen to the old ones assuming that Lemons owned them and maybe they'd sell them. Nope, they just went back to the company they rented from.

Would be cool if a clone was possible.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

Lemons doesn't actually own the transponders that they rent out, they rent them from another organization. When they went to the new X2 transponders I asked Roland what would happen to the old ones assuming that Lemons owned them and maybe they'd sell them. Nope, they just went back to the company they rented from.

Actually, they use them at the smaller race if two race are that weekend...re-HPR verse NJM.  Old yellow bricks at our race.

TheEngineer wrote:

I knew the yellows were not Lemons. But I think Rolands Timing rig is all his.

gus wrote:

@Spank - I'll definitely take you up on that offer. Worst case I can't make it work, best case I can repair it, get what I need, then return it!

I'll derail this thread just a bit more since there's some interest. The only difference between the 160 and the 260 in hardware is a jumper that sets RF power output. The firmware is also slightly different as the 160 has a 3 ms update rate and the 260 has a 20 ms update rate. It's likely that if the decoder is set to accept the 260/X2-Car it get's confused by a 160 and all it's extra packets, it's possibly also a slightly different packet that it sends that just causes the decoder to just go into a error state.

@Guildenstern:
At best a clone/compatible transponder would be indistinguishable from a genuine one, that's the real goal. These are just 1's and 0's transmitted in a defined sequence. It's a very basic digital signal modulated onto a carrier frequency using a simple analog circuit. There's no handshaking or challenge/response or analog RF magic. The RC drone and car guys have had clone/compatible transponders for years that the AMB decoders can't distinguish and I think we could too.

Except with a Car system unlike the RC system, it has to be connected to the Orbits software to actually come out as timing and scoring information. So you would still need to have a registered transponder ID that is currently paid up for it to be accepted by Orbits meaning you're either leeching off of someone else's subscription and hope they aren't running when you are, or you own an X2 and pay a subscription already for that ID that would be cloned.

Certainly more power to you to field a competitor system, but it would have to be a whole system from Car transponder to online timing and scoring app. The existing loop is probably the only part that you could use since really it's just an antenna wire.

The hard part is then convincing organizers to purchase the Timing and Scoring side. The things they would be looking for are reliability, scoring integrity, user simplicity and 24/7 level support.

It really is time AMB was taken down a notch. An expensive transponder was one thing, but forcing the transponder owner to pay a subscription for the right to use it is BS. It's one thing to charge service fees for the infrastructure side and let the organizer charge out the cost across the participants, but the subscription is just double dipping extortion.

gus wrote:

I sent you a forum email. Not sure if it goes to a dead account of yours or if there is a problem with the msg forwarding from the forum. Someone else tried to pm me apparently and I never got it. I even checked spam folders etc etc.

Anyway, I need your mailing address.

Spank wrote:

I sent you a forum email. Not sure if it goes to a dead account of yours or if there is a problem with the msg forwarding from the forum. Someone else tried to pm me apparently and I never got it. I even checked spam folders etc etc.

Anyway, I need your mailing address.

Got it! Google helpfully banished that email straight to spam apparently.

i keep bird dogging facebook marketplace and craigslist for an old style wired non subscription one. Every once in awhile i see one come up for $100-$200 but they usually sell instantly.

does anyone know if these work with the MyLaps system? Their website says they work with competitor system and are not subscription based.

https://www.fmiracing.com/products/gb/B … kcQAvD_BwE