Topic: TH400 cooler line threads?

I'm putting lines in the trans and from what I read, they have a  1/4-18 NPSM thread into them. I ordered the fittings from Jegs and they are too big to screw in. I was also told not to use pipe threads as they fit, but the taper can crack the case. I'm not sure what year the trans is offhand. What other threads could they be? 3/8"?

Re: TH400 cooler line threads?

That transmission was used by a lot of manufacturers other than GM. If the case isn't original to the car then it could be a couple different possible threads. I had one in a Jeep and ran into similar issue. Went to an ACE hardware, bought cheapest little brass fittings in a variety of thread types and sizes (1/4 and close to 1/4). Did a test fit until I found the right one and then ordered the correct oil line adapters.

FWIW when we used our auto 700r, we ran the AC condenser as our cooler and used tractor hydraulic fluid. worked well. Of course we upgraded to a 5 speed. You will need more than the factory trans-cooler or the cheapo type sold at auto parts stores.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

It has the Chevy bolt pattern that mates to a small block. I know the BOP 400 is different in the mounting pattern. Does another mfg use the chevy pattern? I was going with the same plan. I called ATI and they said a chevy should have 1/4 pipe in straight and tapered.

moparfan wrote:

That transmission was used by a lot of manufacturers other than GM. If the case isn't original to the car then it could be a couple different possible threads. I had one in a Jeep and ran into similar issue. Went to an ACE hardware, bought cheapest little brass fittings in a variety of thread types and sizes (1/4 and close to 1/4). Did a test fit until I found the right one and then ordered the correct oil line adapters.

I got an aftermarket one that is about 16" square and 2" thick. I didn't realize it used AN-10's, but I found those adapters. I'd like to mount it behind where the headlight bucket was, but as were a bit nose heavy, I may look to the rear.

Does anyone run power steering coolers? We bought the car 'pre-raced' and it has a finned tube cooler on the steering. Its not a rack, the older style, 1984.  I'd just as soon use it with the trans if the one we sourced isn't enough.

Mr.Yuck wrote:

FWIW when we used our auto 700r, we ran the AC condenser as our cooler and used tractor hydraulic fluid. worked well. Of course we upgraded to a 5 speed. You will need more than the factory trans-cooler or the cheapo type sold at auto parts stores.

You got me curious so I did some searches. Try searching for Novak and TH400, they have a Novak Guide for the TH400 on the
novak-adapt web site. Same housing casting used for GM, Jeep and for the British cars so I am guessing, really guessing, the same bolt pattern. As I understand it, some were tapped for coolers and some weren't hence my need to go hunting for the correct thread for the one in my Jeep. Pretty sure the cooler connections were even different across different years of GM cars.

moparfan wrote:

You got me curious so I did some searches. Try searching for Novak and TH400, they have a Novak Guide for the TH400 on the
novak-adapt web site. Same housing casting used for GM, Jeep and for the British cars so I am guessing, really guessing, the same bolt pattern. As I understand it, some were tapped for coolers and some weren't hence my need to go hunting for the correct thread for the one in my Jeep. Pretty sure the cooler connections were even different across different years of GM cars.

I can say with certainty that the bolt pattern for the Jag version of the TH400 is different than anything else and in addition differs between different versions of the same engine.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

as it turns out the 1/4-18 straight pipe are correct. It had some kind of sealer in it that is the same color as alum. The NPT cleaned it out a bit and I chased it again. The ATI adapter threads in fine!

xirxious wrote:

I got an aftermarket one that is about 16" square and 2" thick. I didn't realize it used AN-10's, but I found those adapters. I'd like to mount it behind where the headlight bucket was, but as were a bit nose heavy, I may look to the rear.

Does anyone run power steering coolers? We bought the car 'pre-raced' and it has a finned tube cooler on the steering. Its not a rack, the older style, 1984.  I'd just as soon use it with the trans if the one we sourced isn't enough.

Mr.Yuck wrote:

We run one... the factory L69 type.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Definitely learning a lot from this thread. Thanks, fellas!