Topic: Source for Porterfield/Raybestos ST-43?

Hey everyone:

We've been running Hawk pads, but based on reviews, are interested in trying ST-43's.  So, questions:

1. Mostly read posts where people reference Porterfield ST-43's, but Google returns Porterfield R4's.  But searching Raybestos ST-43 gets some very limited results.  Anyone able to educate me on whether these are the same product under different names, which one I really want, etc?  We're running an 1988 Rx7 with the 4-pot factory calipers.

2. Do we assume (can anyone confirm) that the Raybestos ST-43 are the pad I want?  Or do I actually want the R4's?

2. What's the best source for said pads?  Best probably means cheapest, assuming they'll actually deliver in a reasonable timeframe.

Thanks, and feel free to share any other thoughts, though I've tried to be diligent and read lots of the threads here.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Source for Porterfield/Raybestos ST-43?

Raybestos ST-43's are most commonly sourced by calling Portfield unless you have a super-common tracked car (our C5 Corvette ST-43's are available from many sources).

Only one person I have met in the Lemons community has had anything less that excellent luck with the ST43's but they are on the super pointy end of the stick with a multitude of of overall wins based largely on really fast, really clean drivers (LeMonaide if you know of their exploits).

We will never run anything else on the front of a competitive endurance car ever again (IoE is a different matter).  On the Dustbuster we get 5-6 races and test days out of them on the C5 brake upgrade...rotors lasted two more races before we got nervous about the volume of heat checking.  We run them in the (no longer close to stock) '47 Plymouth and are looking at similar wear.  We even got them for the rear of the Plymouth which uses calipers from late 1990's Explorer after we burned up a few sets of high end street pads.

I bought the ST-43s based on recommendations from, like, everyone. 

They have a ton of life left after one event and performed great on our Miata. 

I purchased ours from lpiracing.com and didn't feel ripped off.

Just call or email Porterfield brakes in Costa Mesa California.  ST-43 is a compound made by Raybestos that a company like Porterfield can use to make brake pads.  Porterfield also has their own compounds like the R4s.

They will custom make any pad for you.  They did not have my Volvo pads, I just sent the nice lady a picture of the backing and she know exactly what it was.  A week later I had pads on my doorstep.  They will seem expensive, but they last a long time.

Don't try and use their website, just call.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Thanks for the quick replies.  Looks like we can get the Raybestos ST-43 off the shelf for our Rx7 for about $400/set (fronts and rears).  This now leads me to the conclusion that when we make that change, we should go with new rotors as well, so feel free to wax rhapsodic on that topic also.

FYI, we think the car weighs in about 2200-2300#.

bilcoh wrote:

...we should go with new rotors as well, so feel free to wax rhapsodic on that topic also.

Yes.

Never a good idea to mix pad compound on the same rotor, especially the Raybestos compounds.

The Pentastar whisperer

You used to be able to get a discount if you have a NASA membership from Porterfield (might want to check if you do "real" racing).
Outside of the NASA discount, I bought my last few sets from LPI racing and I think I saved a few bucks off shipping. Being outside of California, LPI doesn't (or didnt last time I ordered) CA sales tax. Of course, I'm sure you law abiding folks living in CA are paying use-taxes every April on such transactions of course.

https://www.lpiracing.com/Porterfield-B … s-c762.htm

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

8 (edited by gunn 2019-06-24 12:23 PM)

bilcoh wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies.  Looks like we can get the Raybestos ST-43 off the shelf for our Rx7 for about $400/set (fronts and rears).  This now leads me to the conclusion that when we make that change, we should go with new rotors as well, so feel free to wax rhapsodic on that topic also.

80% of your braking is done up front so with such a light car, is it really worth paying an extra $200 for rear fancy pads? On my 3200LB tbird I run ST43s up front but wagner severe duty fleet pads in back. If you insist on spending money, consider buying a spare set of rotors and pads for up front with that extra money and/or stainless steel braided lines.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

gunn wrote:
bilcoh wrote:

80% of your braking is done up front so with such a light car, is it really worth paying an extra $200 for rear fancy pads? On my 3200LB tbird I run ST43s up front but wagner severe duty fleet pads in back. If you insist on spending money, consider buying a spare set of rotors and pads for up front with that extra money and/or stainless steel braided lines.
-g

More importantly, can you get the rear brakes up to the temp needed for the ST43's to perform at their peak?  On our dustbuster I am sure the answer is no but on the '47 Plymouth the answer was yes.  We expect to all be long dead before those rear ST43's need changing.

Call raysbestos, tell them your car and use, and they can recommend the best setup. Any of the manufacturers will do the same. They know their products and can guide you through them. Likely they'll say use the 43 though. Can confirm they're awesome.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

OK.  Thanks all.  Got what I need, so we can close this thread. 

Cheers.  After almost a year, we're finally getting to our first Lemons race at the end of July, at The Ridge in the PNW.  Will we see any of you there?

Dave

FWIW, Raybestos owns Porterfield.  The ST-43 is a Raybestos compound but available as an off the shelf item from Porterfield.

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/Prod … =Raybestos

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

bilcoh wrote:

FWIW, our 510 weighed in around that weight (in Lemons' trim). Seems like a mid 80s RX7 should be heavier just on the basis of more meat.  Don't know anything about your setup, but wanted to chime in in case you're hinging on curb weight to make a decision on brakes.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

Actually, you may be right.  Factory weight was about 3000#.  Figure the top and hardware, interior, door glass, etc. that's been stripped, and maybe we're actually more like 2700# after adding back in a cage at 100#?

Someday we'll find a scale and see what she weighs, but you're probably right.  And no, not thinking we're engineering so precisely that it would make a difference, though thanks for keeping us honest.

gunn wrote:

You used to be able to get a discount if you have a NASA membership from Porterfield (might want to check if you do "real" racing).
Outside of the NASA discount, I bought my last few sets from LPI racing and I think I saved a few bucks off shipping. Being outside of California, LPI doesn't (or didnt last time I ordered) CA sales tax. Of course, I'm sure you law abiding folks living in CA are paying use-taxes every April on such transactions of course.

https://www.lpiracing.com/Porterfield-B … s-c762.htm

I just bought a set direct and got 10% for being an SCCA member....great customer service (as long as you call wink )

We run ST43s all the way around to maintain brake balance.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's what the proportioning valve is for  wink   

We run ST43s up front and generic pads in the rear to reduce costs.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
Troy wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's what the proportioning valve is for  wink   

We run ST43s up front and generic pads in the rear to reduce costs.

If we mix pads on our old cars, better pads up front means the front tires will lock-up before the rear.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z