Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

What ended up breaking?

How's the homemade rear suspension feel now that you've gotten it out?

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

What ended up breaking?

How's the homemade rear suspension feel now that you've gotten it out?

The oil filter got a random hole in it? Very strange.

The rear suspension? I dunno, it's kinda scary how complicated it is and how many failure points there are. It seemed ok, but I'm worried. 14 hours of endurance racing is a big ask.

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

14 hours will be a proving ground for sure. But if you took the car out and didn't immediately go "oh crap that does not feel right at all!", that's a good first step. It looks well thought out from what I can see. Good luck with it, I hope it just holds together all weekend.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

729 (edited by darkostoj 2019-06-26 04:51 AM)

I was just looking at the rule changes and there was one that stated the battery had to be held down by a strap that went over the top of it. This is the mounting bracket I have. Do you guys think it will be ok? It's super sturdy and solid.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41c0XB0JTQL._AC_SY400_.jpg

No, you need one over the top as well. Bunch of us got caught by it that were relying on OEM bottom mount brackets. Easy option is to just weld on a strap to those side brackets that goes over the top, so when you suck down the bottom brackets it also pulls the top strap tight.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

TheEngineer wrote:

No, you need one over the top as well. Bunch of us got caught by it that were relying on OEM bottom mount brackets. Easy option is to just weld on a strap to those side brackets that goes over the top, so when you suck down the bottom brackets it also pulls the top strap tight.

I emailed John Pagel, he said that heavy duty aftermarket metal mounts are OK.

I'm not sure who has heard, but some more bad luck at the last race.

Engine spun a rod bearing in practice.  Swapped the engine out Friday night and had everything ready to run Saturday morning for the start of the race only to realize somehow the engine computer fried.  We had a full 12v going to the Cyl #7 & #8 Injector plugs causing the cylinders to flood and hydrolock.  Through diagnosing the pin outs on the ECU found it to be faulty.  We hung out the rest of the weekend trying to somehow get the car running but gave up early Sunday.

We won the Spirit of Entropy award. aka participation award for sucking the hardest.

After doing much research found the factory oil pump in the Viper engine's can't handle long periods of sustained high RPM and will start to cavitate and lose oil pressure. Looks like the permanent fix is a dry sump...which is super lame. 

So, I guess the options for the car are either to work at the oil system or swap to another engine.

decisions....

I saw 12v to injectors and thought...Cummins.

That Ferrari V-8 still in the shop?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

darkostoj wrote:

I'm not sure who has heard, but some more bad luck at the last race.

Engine spun a rod bearing in practice.

darkostoj wrote:

It broke.

https://i.imgur.com/Cvv8vyH.jpg

A previous post proved prescient...

Sorry you're not having much fun at the track. The build has been a blast to follow.

bb

Did someone say Dry Sump?

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=17617

Building a car from basically scratch always has teething problems.

Lemons grade dry sump wouldn't be that much more complicated than anything else you've done.
A ferrari V8 would be great for internet hate points, though I wonder how much fun the electronics would be on that.....
Maybe worth considering a slightly more mundane option to up the chances of turning laps while you plan out and test a more exciting one?

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Often exciting builds like this end up being more exciting for everyone else and the builder suffers.  Having said that, when things finally come together and you have success, it will be worth it.   

Our BMW powered rear wheel drive Metro that took 1000+ man hours of labor was totally not a fun car at the track the first couple races.  However, winning 1st overall at Barber with it is still our greatest achievement and probably the most fun I’ve ever had in racing.

Keep pushing... you’ll get it figured out.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TheEngineer wrote:

Building a car from basically scratch always has teething problems.

Lemons grade dry sump wouldn't be that much more complicated than anything else you've done.
A ferrari V8 would be great for internet hate points, though I wonder how much fun the electronics would be on that.....
Maybe worth considering a slightly more mundane option to up the chances of turning laps while you plan out and test a more exciting one?

You have blown through Viper engines like they're fuses, and built suspension from forklift forks. Sounds like it's time to dry sump that SOB...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

FWIW, CA based Jensen Healey team (the one Neil Peart is on) runs a commercial dry sump setup (I forget whose) and I don't believe they get any flack for it.  I think you've earned enough Lemons cred to go that route if you so choose.

Or Jag V12 6.0

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Just take an electric pump drawing from the pan and route it through a filter and cooler then plug it into a bypass to the original oil filter.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

darkostoj wrote:

After doing much research found the factory oil pump in the Viper engine's can't handle long periods of sustained high RPM and will start to cavitate and lose oil pressure. Looks like the permanent fix is a dry sump...which is super lame.

...or you could just keep the RPMs low.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Maverick74 wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

This.

After all, it's a truck engine.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Maverick74 wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

Quit with your logic!!!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Sounds to me like if the pump is cavitating that the problem is that oil doesn't return to the bottom end in a timely manner.  I think it would be a guessing game to know what RPM you need to run in order to avoid not having enough oil in the pan.  Scavenging is something dry sump pumps do extremely well so I still think that's the way you need to go.  Aviaid makes a pump that just scavenges.  You use your internal oil pump for pressure.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

darkostoj wrote:

..the Viper engine's can't handle long periods of sustained high RPM..

Sorry to hear of the continuing engine problems.  There are not many engines that CAN handle long periods of sustained high RPM. 

How about the $50,000 my ass V8 Hayabusa engine, the H1V8,
https://www.h1v8.com/maxi-v8---specs.html   

But actually you have room for a v16 LS right?

https://www.speednik.com/files/2017/02/www.speednik.com-new-14-liter-v16-ls-based-marine-engine-unveiled-2017-02-16_03-13-16-640x427.jpg

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/ … -unveiled/

nimblemotorsports wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

..the Viper engine's can't handle long periods of sustained high RPM..

Sorry to hear of the continuing engine problems.  There are not many engines that CAN handle long periods of sustained high RPM. 

How about the $50,000 my ass V8 Hayabusa engine, the H1V8,
https://www.h1v8.com/maxi-v8---specs.html   

But actually you have room for a v16 LS right?

https://www.speednik.com/files/2017/02/www.speednik.com-new-14-liter-v16-ls-based-marine-engine-unveiled-2017-02-16_03-13-16-640x427.jpg

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/ … -unveiled/

Hm.  Someone sounds a little miffed.

The GEN 4 Viper oil pan with the swinging pickup may be the answer. If you're running the truck pan, I would suspect that it wasn't intended for the sort of cornering that is experienced on the track.

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

widgetsltd wrote:

The GEN 4 Viper oil pan with the swinging pickup may be the answer. If you're running the truck pan, I would suspect that it wasn't intended for the sort of cornering that is experienced on the track.

That oil pan won't fit in the vehicle since the 2nd gen fbody subframe was designed for a rear sump pan.  There is no way of fitting a pan like that.

Everything looks good with the rear sump pan, and I mean so many cars have a similar design it surprises me that a baffled rear sump design wouldn't work with cornering G forces. 

It's an 8qt pan, and I was told the oil doesn't drain back to the pan fast enough and it needs more capacity.

Also, I was running 0-40 amsoil, and wondering if that was an additional problem as well.

Our Javelin experienced the same issue at PiTT. Baffling the pan with swing doors fixed the problem.
We were blipping the oil pressure at every corner. We added the baffles to keep the oil around the pickup and no pressure drop by the race in Jersey. Try the link for the cheap and easy plates with the doors,(cheap from Ebay!)
This was the basis for our fix, We also cut up a kickout chevy pan for more capacity.

The other choice that worked for us was an Accusump. you will have oil pressure before you fire the engine! Its amazing. We use that on our Saturn.

https://www.ebay.com/i/254133087411?chn … gLKl_D_BwE