1 (edited by markhoward727 2019-07-09 06:28 AM)

Topic: I never knew how many

500 dollar cars there were around me. We are trying to throw together a car for Gingerman in October and I almost have too many options. Unfortunately I have no cage builders in my town but we will figure it out. Maybe does anyone have a car for sale or rent before I half way fail at putting a cage in something? Should this be an in search of post in classifieds? Is this a bad first post? Am I just going to keep asking myself questions?

I don't really have a question, just wanted to say hi from northern lower michigan and that I look forward to borrowing 10 mm sockets from you all. Also are there face book groups or other lemon groups I should be part of?

Captain: Buzzoff Racing Suzuki Esteem (superbee) retired after Oct 19
Bmw 330Ci aka Experimento (mentos colored e46 reformed drift car)
We formerly apologize for _______________ and then _____________ and our driver did not have the line.

Re: I never knew how many

Look for The Unofficial Facebook Group of the 24 Hours of Lemons(TM)

There are a bunch of teams in your area that can likely help out with car selection, advice etc.

By far the cheapest way into Lemons is with an already built car. check the for sale on this forum and also ask on the FB page above.

Good Luck!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Wanna buy a full caged Suzuki Esteem...might be convinced to sell it for the cost of the cage, fire system and other safety bits.  It is a truly awful car that actually could, with the fuel filler leak fixed, compete for a class C win on fuel economy.  Still could win IoE at the right race (you know, like Joliet in Spring where is was ROBBED!).

I have a number of terrible plans for the car with each more insane than the other but we have at least two other build in the pipeline so would not be sad to see it go.  We basically did all the safety, changed all fluids, gutted the cat and added all new rear (drum) brakes.  No other prep was done and it ran all weekend without a hiccup.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Wanna buy a full caged Suzuki Esteem...might be convinced to sell it for the cost of the cage, fire system and other safety bits.  It is a truly awful car that actually could, with the fuel filler leak fixed, compete for a class C win on fuel economy.  Still could win IoE at the right race (you know, like Joliet in Spring where is was ROBBED!).

I have a number of terrible plans for the car with each more insane than the other but we have at least two other build in the pipeline so would not be sad to see it go.  We basically did all the safety, changed all fluids, gutted the cat and added all new rear (drum) brakes.  No other prep was done and it ran all weekend without a hiccup.

Just do this^^^^^   Really....you can't build your own for twice what a pre-built car will cost

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Agree with above, especially for an October race.  Plus, this is from an established team.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

6 (edited by markhoward727 2019-07-10 01:17 AM)

OnkelUdo wrote:

Tell me more...that is about your esteem.

I have a line on a 03 v6 stang that has been ice raced and needs a cage but it comes with a jegs cage kit. I have a background with circle track and rally racing so we aren't scared of building a cage but... I also have a 5yo so a pre built car is interesting. My personal problem is that i have found so many cheap junkers that need to be liberated of their bad head gaskets or whatever.

We formerly apologize for _______________ and then _____________ and our driver did not have the line.

The Esteem was a family owned car (co-owner's, wife's Grandma, then the young niece that was her caretaker) and appears to have been well maintained....but...

It was and is rusty.  Caged with no issue except Jeff Glenn mentioned a couple of the less than perfect spreader plate to sheetmetal welds because of the thin sheetmetal.  We can likely correct those but because we are "known good team" they let us race.  Full compliant fire system with a date of about March 1, 2019.  Forget the date on the belts.  Rear subframe mounts have signs of rust but if you don't disturb them, likely fine.

It is a 1.6 Auto which means it is a 1.6 auto (Suzuki engine, 4-speed tranny from Nissan built under license and not terrible).  Mazda BP 1.8 was the other motor with a Mazda 5-speed available...just sayin.  No clue on rear disc conversion but honestly, we hardly needed brakes.  Mazda NA and NB wheels fit it if you clean the center bore by about 1.5 mm and they have correct offset.

Seat is on a slider that rides up so should fit about 6'2" to 5'4" drivers.  I do not plan to include the seat but if you want it, it is a Corbeau FX1.

Only real issue is we could only put about 7 gallons of fuel in it before a fuel leak.  The filler neck was rusted but repaired (we thought) and the tank had about 70, 000 fittings on a rusted steel barbs most of which we blocked off leaving only one vent to the filler neck..  Yours to troubleshoot.

I can do a total but about $800 for the cage, $440 for the fire system, belts are only like $100.  Lets call it $1300'ish (no seat) and I still have to get approval from the co-owner.

Esteem was known for exceptional handling in its day but until we let one driver go nuts when things finally dried out, it burned less than 4 gallons an hour.  Even in the rain, braking was optional.  Built in "Low self Esteem" theme since we already did the "Better Call Saul" theme.

8 (edited by markhoward727 2019-07-09 06:51 PM)

Sweet. I can deal with all of that. I'll let my partner know.

Co-owner brought up a couple of points so looking at $1400.  In an non-emissions place you could register it and drive it home!

Esteem co-owner here. Gave ok to sell.

If you decide to go with the mustang instead, Be careful with the Jegs cage. It may or may not meet Lemons rules without modification.

Roll Cage Components is a much better bet if you want to go pre-bent BUT most likely if you ordered today you would be looking at August before it comes in.  Jim is great at what he does and his cages (depending on how cheap you can buy DOM locally) are only about 10-20% more than the cost of the raw materials bought locally.  He is not the greatest communicator and he does prioritize his work via a method only he understands.

Where is this esteemed esteem located?

Esteem is in NW Indiana.

Oh, and one other potential theme idea:  Esteem Punk!

OnkelUdo, I sent you a pm.

markhoward727 wrote:

OnkelUdo, I sent you a pm.

Emails sent but since I have a gmail address check your spam folder...my real name is Michael Krenzer.