Topic: Live streaming

been reading around the forums and was trying to come up with a way to live stream my GoPro in the pits.  Noticed most people go through a phone and youtube.  I can do that but at tracks like CMP were service in terrible I am not sure this would work.  Has anyone for away to extend the GoPros wifi range and if so how did you do it?

thanks,
Norman

Re: Live streaming

You're better off looking into the world of FPV like R/C uses now than trying to make a gopro wifi work. It's 5 GHz range so you'll need to do some  work on reception, but overall it will work better.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Just to add to the FPV thing; unless you want to spend lots of money ($1000's) on a digital HD transmission system, the normal FPV stuff everyone is using is analog and looks like watching an old grainy TV. The smooth and clear videos you see on YouTube are all taken with a secondary camera, no from the analog live feed.

Guildenstern wrote:

You're better off looking into the world of FPV like R/C uses now than trying to make a gopro wifi work. It's 5 GHz range so you'll need to do some  work on reception, but overall it will work better.

Has anyone successfully done this? I have been investigating for a while, but it would be nice to know if it will work before spending the money. My gopro "combo" cable that I use to keep it powered also has connections for composite video output, so I was thinking that I could use a 5.8GHz Tx to broadcast the video to the paddock. I have a ham license so there wouldn't be any issue with the legality of the operation.

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

Define "Successfully", especially on a Lemons forum.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I went down the rabbit hole for a while, and gave up when i realized it was a bit over my head to do streaming to the pits. Yes, you can do it. Yes you will need the right licenses to be pumping enough power on the bands you want. No it may not work on all tracks.

You'd need to evaluate each track on it's own to see if it'd work. the advertised range of any transmitter system is always the range over water line of sight, meaning once you try transmitting with buildings, trees, hills, other cars, and who knows what else in the way the range drops a lot. NH would be easier to get working than say NJ or PittRace.

We've had a radio nerd hanging out with us at races recently. Co-worker of my dad's. He comes and manages our radios, records data, etc all because he just likes doing that kind of thing. He's wanted to setup a second radio in the car that's sole purpose was to stream back data and potentially video. If we can get it working, I'll share the details, but I suspect it won't be before next year.

The other way to do it is to just stream to youtube and watch the feed on a 30 second delay, which is what we do now. GoPro hooked into a cervo liveshell which is connected to a mifi hotspot and it pushes the video to youtube. It works, but I'm still dialing in the settings and it honestly depends on the track how well it works.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

I went down the rabbit hole for a while, and gave up when i realized it was a bit over my head to do streaming to the pits. Yes, you can do it. Yes you will need the right licenses to be pumping enough power on the bands you want. No it may not work on all tracks.

You'd need to evaluate each track on it's own to see if it'd work. the advertised range of any transmitter system is always the range over water line of sight, meaning once you try transmitting with buildings, trees, hills, other cars, and who knows what else in the way the range drops a lot. NH would be easier to get working than say NJ or PittRace.

We've had a radio nerd hanging out with us at races recently. Co-worker of my dad's. He comes and manages our radios, records data, etc all because he just likes doing that kind of thing. He's wanted to setup a second radio in the car that's sole purpose was to stream back data and potentially video. If we can get it working, I'll share the details, but I suspect it won't be before next year.

The other way to do it is to just stream to youtube and watch the feed on a 30 second delay, which is what we do now. GoPro hooked into a cervo liveshell which is connected to a mifi hotspot and it pushes the video to youtube. It works, but I'm still dialing in the settings and it honestly depends on the track how well it works.

do you know if that will work with twitch too?

I think it works with twitch, but i've never tried. Never really got on the twitch bandwagon myself.  The liveshell isn't cheap, but it works. And you can mess with the stream settings from the pits because the dashboard is based online. Meaning from the pits I can go and change the compression settings, add overlays to say who's driving, restart the stream, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Cerevo-LiveShell … B01613FT1O

it does require you to actively be involved with settings though. And it's highly dependent on network and the load at the time. NJ it works great on an AT&T mifi. example from last year. The video isn't HD, but I was trying to set the bitrate low enough that it wouldn't clog and lag, and also not burn through my prepaid data package. I do notice the audio got delayed from the video on this one, not sure why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k15_NMp3kkA

This was PattRace this year. It starts off great, but as the day goes on it starts lagging in places. I think cell service was worse in some areas of the track, and the networks were getting filled with everyone at the track. You can also see I need to adjust my gopro settings because it's setting exposure for the inside of the car resulting in the outside looking washed out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KODzfmuX5D0

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer, your video quality is good.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z