Topic: Rust repair, can I remove the rear seat back?

I have a 2000 Buick Regal and there are some serous holes in the rear inner fenders (~2" x 10").  I would like to weld in some sheet metal to patch the wholes but the rear seat back and package tray are in the way.  So I am considering cutting the seat back and package tray out.  I am not running a fuel cell so I don't have to worry about that.

Some may suggest, isn't easier to install the patch from inside the inner fender?  In short, no.  The rear strut, mounts in the inside of the inner fender.  Even with the strut removed, the strut mounting location is a cup shape so there isn't a flat surface to weld the patch to.  Another plus of welding the patch to the top of the inner fender is it will give me a nice solid location to weld in the roll cage backstays.

Bottom line, can I cut out the rear seat back and package tray and still pass the tech. inspection?

Alex

Re: Rust repair, can I remove the rear seat back?

You might want to take some pics, and then mark where you are planning on removing.  Then send them to John Pagel (evil genius) for final approval.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Alex M wrote:

I have a 2000 Buick Regal and there are some serous holes in the rear inner fenders (~2" x 10").  I would like to weld in some sheet metal to patch the wholes but the rear seat back and package tray are in the way.  So I am considering cutting the seat back and package tray out.  I am not running a fuel cell so I don't have to worry about that.

Some may suggest, isn't easier to install the patch from inside the inner fender?  In short, no.  The rear strut, mounts in the inside of the inner fender.  Even with the strut removed, the strut mounting location is a cup shape so there isn't a flat surface to weld the patch to.  Another plus of welding the patch to the top of the inner fender is it will give me a nice solid location to weld in the roll cage backstays.

Bottom line, can I cut out the rear seat back and package tray and still pass the tech. inspection?

Alex

I would send pictures to Pagel.  If you are exposing the outside of the car to passenger compartment, then you need to close it all back up. I would also be concerned about structural integrity/body flex as the package tray reduces twisting.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Thanks.  I will contact John and let you know what I hear.

Alex

Don't forget that you will need to put appropriate sized spreader plates at the landing point of those backstays.

I emailed John Pagel and he got back to me.  Quickly, I might add.  He said:

"That's frightening. Being from California. I just don't see that kind of thing.  It will need to be totally rebuilt to OE(ish) strength. Yes you can cut the parcel tray out for access.  Do a good job, cold lumpy welds with holes will fail tech."

Thanks again for the replies.  I plan to us 1/8" sheet to make the repair so they can double as spreader plate.

Alex