Topic: Cage foundation

Hello friends!

Gonna be installing a cage soon and I have a couple of  concerns before I start.

1) I bought 11 gauge steel plate for the tube to floor plates. I have come to understand that 11 gauge isnt always quite .125 as stated as necessary in the rules. Mine measured around .120 I think. If that isnt sufficient, what do you guys order? Is it the difference between hot rolled and cold rolled somehow?

2) The car this is going in doesnt have a floor between the rockers and the trans tunnel on either the passenger or driver side. My plan is to mount the cage to 2"x3"x11ga box tube that will run from the rocker to the tunnel and will be welded to the 11 gauge base plates just like how you would mount the down tubes from a cage. Has anyone else done this? I feel it would be safer and stronger than welding the cage to an 18 guage floor that we fabricate.

Re: Cage foundation

Your best answer is to contact John Pagel, who is the head safety dude, and/or Jeff Glenn at Lemons HQ.

https://24hoursoflemons.com/contact/

TECH & SAFETY STUFF

John Pagel or Jeff Glenn
pagel@24hoursoflemons.com
jeff@24hoursoflemons.com

Yes, I have installed a cage on box tubing.  Mr. Pagel informed me that as long as you use the proper spreader plates on the box tube you are fine. You also need the box to be VERY well installed as mine is.  As a matter of fact HE tech-ed my car and was quoted as saying "Nice build".

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

You're right that 11 gauge isn't  1/8" thick. It should be .1196" but is usually a bit under that even. I usually use 10 gauge which is .135" or you can use 1/8" bar stock.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Thanks for the responses. I emailed Pagel (thanks Spank) and he verified that I should use 10 gauge and not 11.  Bill can you share some pics of your nice build please? I quickly realized that I would have to plate the box tube also.

Give me a few days, been busy and need to get a few things taken care of.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2