Topic: Oil Level Sensor

Anyone ever cobble together an oil level sensor? I've looked around for a universal one, but can only find OEM replacements. Our Mustang II consumes oil but at an unpredictable rate. I'd rather not rely on our drivers to notice a low oil pressure light/gauge.

I'm sure with G forces an oil level light would only be reliable on level straights, but we can adapt to that.

Low Road Racing:  Stylemaster/Mustang II/Sunbird/Spirit AMX

We will not compromise our morals and build anything but a class C car.
"You take the high road, we'll take the low."

Re: Oil Level Sensor

Seems like if you couldn't find a way to make it reliably only come on in a low level situation you'd just have another light that drivers would ignore. curious if anyone has ideas on how to make it reliably not trigger on corners.

But if you could make a low pressure light that's hard to ignore, it would hopefully work. I really like the LED strips sold in the "flashy junk" aisle of auto zone. Line the inside of the windshield with them so you have to see them, then wire them to a 15psi switch.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I had a 20r Toyota oilpan with one a while back, looks like you could adapt it easy enough to another oilpan.

https://www.ebay.com/i/332149177190?chn … -sEALw_wcB

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

You could rig up an oil proof transmissometer with two very precisely aligned threaded holes in the pan. Like a garage door safety trip. So if the receiver sees the light you'll know there's no oil in your pan.

But then, the skyrocketing temps and no oil pressure will tell you that too.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

TheEngineer wrote:

Seems like if you couldn't find a way to make it reliably only come on in a low level situation you'd just have another light that drivers would ignore. curious if anyone has ideas on how to make it reliably not trigger on corners.

But if you could make a low pressure light that's hard to ignore, it would hopefully work. I really like the LED strips sold in the "flashy junk" aisle of auto zone. Line the inside of the windshield with them so you have to see them, then wire them to a 15psi switch.

There's also audio and haptic warning systems too. Rig a seat slapper under the driver's but.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

GM 3800s had a simple float level one for years 90s into 2000s  . 2 wire switch is all it was. A weather pack connector and a light you are all good!
Manny

I would be more afraid of drivers relying on the light as an indication that oil is NOT low.  Learning the circumstance and gauge indication for a specific engine is a better system. But then you have to teach drivers to watch for it. Ours is a left hand sweeper with an oil pressure drop of 20 lbs. That will catch low oil early. High oil temp and water temp is too late. By then the engine is almost out of oil.

Guildenstern wrote:

Rig a seat slapper under the driver's but.

To save the engine, it would be better to use _negative_ reinforcement instead...

You can find these in the junkyard

https://www.atkinsrotary.com/store/86-9 … 0-470.html

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

You can install a low oil pressure sensor and setup a threshold that sets off an LED or horn next to the driver.
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main … cts_id=357
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main … cts_id=313

Alternatively, if your engine starts knocking because of low oil, I have used this sensor with good results. THe gauge came without any drame from Lithuania and the sensor came from a junkyard VW Jetta. I bolted it to the block and it works quite well (tested by hitting the block with a rubber mallet.
http://knockgauge.eu/

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

VW uses a low oil level sensor in a lot of there pans . for the low oil pressure light I use a LED trailer light big and brite with a note on it IF ITS ON LOOK AT THE  F%%%%%% GAUGES ITS GOING TO COST YOU $$$$

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Rig a seat slapper under the driver's but.

To save the engine, it would be better to use _negative_ reinforcement instead...

You're not hitting hard enough, or device is positioned too far aft.

You'll know you have it right when fillings come loose.

DRVOLKS wrote:

VW uses a low oil level sensor in a lot of there pans . for the low oil pressure light I use a LED trailer light big and brite with a note on it IF ITS ON LOOK AT THE  F%%%%%% GAUGES ITS GOING TO COST YOU $$$$

Bolded the pertinent part. Drivers need to know it's their job not to break the car, or it's their job to make money to fix the car.

The important thing is going to be how you baffle the pan. Because you can definitely put any of these sensors in the pan in a way that just going around a corner will slosh oil away from it, but if you set it in the pan too low, it may not trigger before it's getting too late. That's the part I was mentioning. The last thing you want is a system that has a lot of false alerts that trains your team to ignore it.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice