Topic: Heartland Parked - Entry List

Small field of 29 cars, but the quality is utterly fantastic.

https://i.imgur.com/mt5jg7O.jpg

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Re: Heartland Parked - Entry List

Smallest Lemons field ever?

Wooo hoo! 

Can't wait to get out there!

Quality over Quantity!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Lemons and Quality? is that like Military and Intelligence?  Or Truth and Trump?

Lemons and quality go together like Chinese food and chocolate pudding...

I though we were going to have the small truck field outclassed with our LUV, but you can't beat the Chinook/Hilux

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

Huskar wrote:

Lemons and quality go together like Chinese food and chocolate pudding...

And every Chinese buffet has it so you are just PROVING that Lemons quality is a thing.

Maybe an industrial drum of chocolate pudding will show up for the Saturday potluck

1999 Chevy Blazer

ANOTHER...1984 Corvette???

SAWEEEET!!!   

Fly the flags Warthogs!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

This is a great list of cars and I look forward to seeing which Mercury cat reigns supreme.  Are you cheering for Team Cougar or Team Bobcat?

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Mercury Bobcat

Honestly thought there would be more registered for this race, seems like a great central location...

tnsmike wrote:

Honestly thought there would be more registered for this race, seems like a great central location...

First time for Lemons in the area, it will get bigger as there are plenty of large cities within a few hours.
Spread the word!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

addict#52 wrote:

The Forth of July Sebring race had like 28 cars iirc.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

tnsmike wrote:

In the United States, the problem with a Central Location is it's far away for almost everybody.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:
tnsmike wrote:

In the United States, the problem with a Central Location is it's far away for almost everybody.

Interest comment that I am guessing did not have the "Coastal Snob" intent it came off as (knowing your history here well).  As mentioned by Brett there is a decently good number of folks to pull from in a less than 4 hour tow radius...expand to 6 and it is HUGE.  Hallett has drawn WRL (and I think Chump) and it is even more remote and rustic.

This track hosts NHRA Nationals...it is not a location issue.  It is developing the brand in the area (Saint Louis, KC, Tulsa, OKC, etc, etc) and convincing Denver teams to actually leave home and Dallas Teams it is worth the drive.

Maverick74 wrote:
addict#52 wrote:

The Forth of July Sebring race had like 28 cars iirc.

The last race at Grand Bayou in 2011 had 20 signups, two of which never turned a lap. That is the smallest Lemons race ever, I believe.

The 2010 race at Firebird in Arizona had 22 cars turn laps and several more teams couldn't get to AZ from other places because of closed roads from a snowstorm...somewhere. Don't remember the whole story, but that one was also announced just a couple months before the race.

The only race we've ever done in the middle of the country was at Mid-America Motorplex (now called something else) near Omaha. That got 28 cars, so I think that's just what the numbers roughly are on the Great Plains.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

17 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2019-08-20 08:08 PM)

Marketing, and well run events.[edit]

Here in the PA far corners, it has been said Penn State is in the middle of nowhere.

The marketing argument for Penn State athletic recruiting is: it's in the middle of _everywhere_.

18 (edited by Guildenstern 2019-08-20 08:40 PM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:
tnsmike wrote:

Interest comment that I am guessing did not have the "Coastal Snob" intent it came off as (knowing your history here well).  As mentioned by Brett there is a decently good number of folks to pull from in a less than 4 hour tow radius...expand to 6 and it is HUGE.  Hallett has drawn WRL (and I think Chump) and it is even more remote and rustic.

This track hosts NHRA Nationals...it is not a location issue.  It is developing the brand in the area (Saint Louis, KC, Tulsa, OKC, etc, etc) and convincing Denver teams to actually leave home and Dallas Teams it is worth the drive.

I guess Lake Erie coast is Costal now?

The US is big, I know, I drove across it in the rally last year. There's so much empty it's mind boggling. Meaning you put something in the middle of the country, you technically are putting it equally far away from everywhere else.

The inner contour is 4 hours drive, the outer is 6 hours.

https://i.imgur.com/Mjfbm7o.png

There COULD be brand development in the area. But like Sebring, if Jay ends up taking the "I got screwed" for not breaking even on the event, a return could be hard to justify. There just aren't enough established teams close enough and without other events too close on the calendar to hope for much.

It's crazy when the smallest race has less cars than Altamont '06.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

OnkelUdo wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:
tnsmike wrote:

11% here,

Being a new DFW/Houston team, we're making the 7/8 hour drive from Ft Worth (11/12 from Houston for one member, and 5 from Arkansas for an arrive & drive) since this was the next closest race for us after NOLA in March. The only other race nearby is incredibly close to home at MSR, but we would like to do more than 2 races a year, so here we are. Hoping one day another Texas track gets on the schedule

20 (edited by OnkelUdo 2019-08-21 12:25 PM)

Guildenstern wrote:

I guess Lake Erie coast is Costal now?

Ya' know that was said tongue in cheek but now that I think about it, you would not have had the background (not from this site, from a very well respected team with podcast) comment "But why would anyone want to race there" because it was made on facepage.

My basic point is the time, not distance, East Coast teams will drive to get to their "home track" encompasses a a few million people around Topeka.  Then factor in the "Heck, we drive 6 hours to go shoe shopping" mentality that is not uncommon in that vast wasteland (again sarcasm) of the Plains states and you can rope in Dallas, most of Arkansas, likely Albuquerque, etc, etc.

This is not a sure thing for Heartland Park to grow as big in Lemons as venues like Autobahn, MSR, etc but it is well placed to serve an under-served geographic area and close enough to drag a team or two from say...Chicago (us), Houston and Austin (three of our drivers).  Here's hoping it is a great track, with good management and enough interest for future races.

We were very excited to see Topeka added to the list for this year.  While we are located on central Nebraska about as far away from High Plains as we are Topeka, this is much easier logistically.  In coming years we will hopefully attend both races in a season, provided it is still around.  We almost switched over to Chump or WRL since they added both added races at our home track in Hastings this year (only 45 minutes away), but we already were down the road of prepping for Lemon's regulations.  Could there be some pull from those events moving into the territory as well??? 

There is a lot up in the air for tracks in our area right now too.  Motorsports Park Hastings is gong on the auction block at the end of the year and Raceway Park in Pacific Junction Iowa (mentioned above was a Lemons event previously) has been flooded twice this summer and just reopened last month.  Other than these two tracks High plains and Topeka are the next closets. 

Hopefully events keep coming around and get people interested in "budget" racing.  When we have gone out for a few shakedowns at track days we are usually one of the few race prepped cars.  Most are in modded Vipers/Camaros/Mustangs/Corvettes/M3s.  We have become very good at point byes.  Maybe this weekend we will finally get to pass someone.

1999 Chevy Blazer

Huskar wrote:

We were very excited to see Topeka added to the list for this year.  While we are located on central Nebraska about as far away from High Plains as we are Topeka, this is much easier logistically.  In coming years we will hopefully attend both races in a season, provided it is still around.  We almost switched over to Chump or WRL since they added both added races at our home track in Hastings this year (only 45 minutes away), but we already were down the road of prepping for Lemon's regulations.  Could there be some pull from those events moving into the territory as well??? 

There is a lot up in the air for tracks in our area right now too.  Motorsports Park Hastings is gong on the auction block at the end of the year and Raceway Park in Pacific Junction Iowa (mentioned above was a Lemons event previously) has been flooded twice this summer and just reopened last month.  Other than these two tracks High plains and Topeka are the next closets. 

Hopefully events keep coming around and get people interested in "budget" racing.  When we have gone out for a few shakedowns at track days we are usually one of the few race prepped cars.  Most are in modded Vipers/Camaros/Mustangs/Corvettes/M3s.  We have become very good at point byes.  Maybe this weekend we will finally get to pass someone.

If you can go 65 on a straight you can pass us... We just hope out new wheels and tires can let us pass heavier cars in the corners

Plenty of people there, it's just an underdeveloped area for Lemons. I would hope the track rental is cheaper than Sebring, so maybe Jay will make enough money to stick it out another year. The crowd should grow with time.

I think Sebring 2014 had 26 cars, and two of them (the Sebrings) didn't pay entry fees. Or maybe it was 26 paid entries.

24 (edited by Guildenstern 2019-08-21 03:04 PM)

Correct we Sebringers were freeloaders for that race.

Also there’s a team with a podcast?

Guildenstern wrote:

Correct we Sebringers were freeloaders for that race.

Also there’s a team with a podcast?

There's a couple of teams with podcasts. Three Pedal Mafia hosts Everyone Racers and Garage Heroes in Training team does one by the same name. There's probably a few others as well.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.