Topic: Fuel transport

We are entering our first race this October at The Ridge and were wondering what our options for bringing gas into the paddock were.  Can we just bring a 55 gallon drum full of gas to the track?  Will we need to run out and fill our FIA approved containers every time?  Can we just drain our tow rigs tank into 5 gallon jugs?  Any info is appreciated, we just want to make sure that we won't get turned away for fuel transport reasons.

Jeremy
Wreckreational Racing

2 (edited by nimblemotorsports 2019-08-26 08:03 PM)

Re: Fuel transport

We drove  to the gas station a few miles down the road with our empty 5-gallon containers
and brought them back full.

nimblemotorsports wrote:

We drove  to the gas station a few miles down the road with our empty 5-gallon containers
and brought them back full.

Same. Over the years we've collected several. Some are fast-emptying, some slow. We just use the slow cans to top off the fast ones and then fill all of them at the end of the day.

Right now we have 6 cans, which is enough for an entire day of racing for us.

Giubo Grabbers #190 - 91 Mercedes 190E
2016 CMP Fall South "Heroic Fix" Winner

We bring a 55 gallon drum and fill it once we get close to the track.  It's never been a problem.
Just remember you have to take it with you when you leave.

If you want a jug that fills the car fast and doesn't dump gas all over your hands, get some Husakers.  I just fill my my car and eight 5 gallon jugs at the gas station Friday and Saturday night.  Sometimes I might send someone to get a couple jugs filled mid race.  If you have access to a 55 gallon tank, I would double check if the track allows it.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

You can legally transport  up to 110 gal. of fuel in 55 gal. drums. Your not a commercial vehicle or for hire so your good.

erich wrote:

We bring a 55 gallon drum and fill it once we get close to the track.  It's never been a problem.
Just remember you have to take it with you when you leave.

This

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

rb92673 wrote:

If you want a jug that fills the car fast and doesn't dump gas all over your hands, get some Husakers.

Or if you are using the giant funnel method of filling...the VP style jugs work just as well at this.  We have both.  Hunsacker's don't dump any fast if the limitation is the 2.5" filler on you cell.

Applicable to the OP...probably not but it is to a few others.

Thanks for the input, I think we can just rally together all the cans that we have and use the 3 largest to actually fuel the car.  After a lengthy discussion we have come to the conclusion that quicker fueling is not likely to be a factor in our first race.

Remember you're limited to 5 Gallons for fueling.
"3.C.1 Fueling. All fueling must be done from handheld DOT-, SCCA-, or FIA-approved 5-gallon or smaller jugs or from the track’s permanent pumps. "

Also still don't see any evidence that The Hunsackers meet any of the three approvals.

Why only 5 gallons? Because we're all BumbleF#&ks and 5 gallons is a manageable spill.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I bought six of these,
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Two-Hand … ,1112.html

Indeed time to fill up your tank is not an issue at all until you are trying to win.
However, our first time out we still had the unleaded restriction in the filler neck,
and this required a funnel and slowed it down such that it was a pain.
so I removed that restriction, and then the above jugs with this filler thing,
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway … ,2710.html
can stick right down into the filler neck, so it is easy and quick to fill the tank, less spillage too.

And btw, I bought only one of those fillers and swap it over to the jug to pour in.   Not sure I understand
why almost everyone has a filler hose for every can...I guess I am just cheap.

Guildenstern wrote:

"3.C.1 Fueling. All fueling must be done from handheld DOT-, SCCA-, or FIA-approved 5-gallon or smaller jugs or from the track’s permanent pumps. "

Also still don't see any evidence that The Hunsackers meet any of the three approvals.

Why only 5 gallons? Because we're all BumbleF#&ks and 5 gallons is a manageable spill.

http://store.24hoursoflemons.com/produc … 3004-1.htm

I figure they're legal.

13 (edited by Guildenstern 2019-08-29 10:25 PM)

I figure they need to revise their rule to match their enforcement already.

Edit: Enforcement AND Endorsement.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

14 (edited by rb92673 2019-08-30 06:44 AM)

Guildenstern wrote:

I had 4 California DOT jugs I bought for secondary storage at my last race.  They take so long to dump into my race jugs I tossed them at the end of the race and bought some VP jugs for storage. 

I hate fueling, so the quicker I can get it done the better.  It sucks holding a heavy can, that is dripping gas on your race gloves (I have a fueling only pair now), while your helmet visor has fogged up.  Hunsakers work for me, but there are many other options.  I have not had luck with cans that have the tiny vent near the handle.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon