Topic: Cage / Weight requirements (Newbie question)

Hey fellow racers,

This may be a dumb question but having never done a cage before I just want to be clear on the spec requirements before I purchase the material (Shop will be doing the install)

My donor car currently weights about 2700lbs without driver. Is there a reason why I can't use the 1 3/4 tube sizing instead of 1 5/8? (Over engineer)

Thanks and looking forward to racing in Nov @ MSR.

Re: Cage / Weight requirements (Newbie question)

It is always ok to use the more robust option, and it will save any questions of "are you sure you're under the weight".

However, check the rules and your notes, 1 5/8 isn't one of the options.

3.E.1.a Rollbar Tubing and Spreader-Plate Specs. Minimum tubing size for cars weighing under 3000 pounds as raced is 1.50″ x .120″ or 1.75″ x .095″. Cars weighing over 3000 pounds as raced must use a minimum tubing size of 1.75″ x.120″.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

And the .095 x 1.75 weight less per foot than .120  x 1.5 (shocked me when someone mentioned it) so there is no real weight penalty that cannot be offset with a healthy bowel movement.

TheEngineer wrote:

3.E.1.a Rollbar Tubing and Spreader-Plate Specs. Minimum tubing size for cars weighing under 3000 pounds as raced is 1.50″ x .120″ or 1.75″ x .095″. Cars weighing over 3000 pounds as raced must use a minimum tubing size of 1.75″ x.120″.

It isn't one of the explicitly listed options, but since the rules only specify a minimum, presumably something like 1.625" x 0.120" would be okay. It's worth checking with HQ before buying it, of course.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Sure, it probably would be ok, I just think it invites headaches at tech. If you stick to the common sizes you'll have less questions. 1.5" and 1.75" are the common roll cage tubing sizes.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Not to mention any roll bar clamp accessories are mostly going to be in the 1.5 and 1.75 size.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

We are under the 3000lb pound mark but chose to go with the 1.75 x .120 tubing.  Something about not wanting to give the significant others the life insurance money just yet.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Experienced people [for my _future_ future reference]:
How is the 'as raced' weight evaluated? Does it include _all_ things in the car, like a filled cool shirt cooler, a full tank of fuel, and the heaviest driver? Or the stripped vehicle before all the safety equipment goes in?

I checked the Roll Cage Components web site. Their stated weight for a Lemons roll cage is 250#, without any selections other than the basic 'this is a generic cage'. I don't know if that's shipping weight including dunnage, every possible add-on, or just the material for the minimum number of cage components.

OP:
Your stated weight of 2700# - does this include everything else you'd be required to have in the vehicle?

50# is an aufully narrow margin ...

Setting aside the presumed additional safety margin, I don't think I'd chance the <3000# required tubing if it were that close.

I believe the "as raced" verbiage means as it rolls out onto the race track at the green, basically the heaviest your car could be at any point during race weekend.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

10 (edited by addict#52 2019-07-25 02:39 PM)

1.75x.120 wall DOM or nothing is my two cents. If a full size Lincoln happens to t-bone you, you will be happy you had it. If you're worried about added weight from thicker tube just remember, Lemons

And from a practical standpoint, as a welder, which would you rather weld to 1/8" spreader plates?  .120 or .095?  Can you do both...sure but having same thickness metal after struggling on 1/8" to sheetmetal just makes a guy smile.

dasauto88 wrote:

My donor car currently weights about 2700lbs without driver.

If you're looking at approx. 200 lbs for a roll cage, how much do your drivers weigh?
Unless you can find 200 lbs you can remove from the car to offset the cage weight,
I think the rules will require you to use the 1.75 x .120.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Agree with OnkelUdo. From a fabrication standpoint, 1.75 x 0.125 is significantly easier to work with. The weight difference is negligible (definitely won’t make or break a class win).

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

Thanks for all the help guys!

Wanted to clarify that I plan on ordering my cage from Rhodes Racing. They offer the following DOM SKUs

For cars weighing less than 3000 Pounds cages are made from the following materials:

1 5/8"x.120" wall DOM Tubing

For cars weighing more than 3000 Pounds cages are made from the following materials:

1 3/4"x.120" wall DOM Tubing

Not concerned about the weight difference, just want to pass tech and have maximum safety.

Looks like general consensus is that I use 1 3/4 x .120 and call it a day.

We weigh nothing, went with 1.75.  If I need it, bigger is better

1992 Eagle Talon ES(i)

Like Guild said, none of the roll bar clamp accessories are going to fit if you use an odd tube size.

Also as others have said in the past, the cage has to not JUST be legal, but able to stop a charging Crown Vic from ending up in your lap if you get T boned on track. 

Go for the larger size, and add a few extra tubes in the drivers door, its 100% worth it.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

You can always go more safe than the rules.  We use 1.75" DOM on everything we build. Pagel will never complain about the car being too safe.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

18 (edited by Hanger 18 Customs 2019-09-09 06:24 PM)

TheEngineer wrote:

It is always ok to use the more robust option, and it will save any questions of "are you sure you're under the weight".

1.5x.120 is the minimum. I can tell you from personal experience that 1 5/8 will pass tech. My car has an 1 5/8 x .134 wall cage and has passed tech twice. The first time it was teched by Mr. Pagel himself. Car weighs #2900 full fluids/fuel/driver.