1 (edited by rtgri19 2019-08-31 04:54 AM)

Topic: The typical Lemons Newbie sob story.

Hello, my name is Ryan. I have been watching Lemons for years and want to get in on the fun. I have a unique vehicle idea (which I am keeping kinda secret in case someone tires to beat me to it), but I am just one guy with a small operation. I have friends who want to race with me, but you know how that goes. Lots of enthusiasm until it's time to turn a wrench or pay fees, then all of a sudden I'm a one man show again. I'm just looking for any Lemons veterans, or novices like myself, who are located around northern Alabama, and would like to help me prepare this vehicle for the season opener at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, and go racing. I need drivers and wrenches, I'm not picky about age, experience, or anything like that. Some Lemons experience would be nice, but I just want to end this 3 year long procrastination streak and finally get on the track. If you're interested/willing to help, drop a line and bring your enthusiasm. I'll dish you the info on my location and the vehicle once communication is established. (I have my own expenses covered, I don't need money, just willing bodies...that sounds wrong)

Re: The typical Lemons Newbie sob story.

Put this into the "teams seeking drivers" section.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I'm a one man team as of now in Pittsburgh. Just my dad (to offer advice), and my teenage son.

The advantage is that its all mine.

I control everything, and if some one that is driving wants to leave they can, car remains mine.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

If you build it they will come!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

FYI, fastest way to get in on the fun, is to rent a seat.  There are lots of teams looking for drivers.

2nd fastest way is to buy a built car.

While doing either of the above, you can build your car at a more leisurely pace.

rlchv70 wrote:

FYI, fastest way to get in on the fun, is to rent a seat.  There are lots of teams looking for drivers.

While doing either of the above, you can build your car at a more leisurely pace.

Except if I rented a seat I would have no money to build with.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

fitsbain wrote:
rlchv70 wrote:

If a $700 arrive and drive is the difference between finishing your build or not, time to step back and reevaluate if you have the financial ability to do this.  Most teams spend about $3500-5,000 to get their first car to the track.

8 (edited by Guildenstern 2019-09-13 11:03 AM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
fitsbain wrote:
rlchv70 wrote:

If a $700 arrive and drive is the difference between finishing your build or not, time to step back and reevaluate if you have the financial ability to do this.  Most teams spend about $3500-5,000 to get their first car to the track.

I have to take exception to this. You can certainly build a car on only a couple hundred dollars a month of expendable income. It’s what I did until I was able to get a team together. (Hell I got a private pilots license that way too! 1999-2001) But you can’t both build a car AND go A&D joyriding at the same time. I had to stop A&D when It came time to put my car together. I didn’t race from after 2014 until the Decade of Disappointment at Gingerman because I was in build mode. My car still wouldn’t be finished if I prioritized A&D over the build.

Contrary to some podcaster racers on a certain east coast team, not every Lemons team has the luxury of more expendable income than time. It’s still perfectly financially doable, especially once you start picking up some team members. 4x $200 a month starts being a realistic build budget.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
fitsbain wrote:

I have to take exception to this. You can certainly build a car on only a couple hundred dollars a month of expendable income. It’s what I did until I was able to get a team together. (Hell I got a private pilots license that way too! 1999-2001) But you can’t both build a car AND go A&D joyriding at the same time. I had to stop A&D when It came time to put my car together. I didn’t race from after 2014 until the Decade of Disappointment at Gingerman because I was in build mode. My car still wouldn’t be finished if I prioritized A&D over the build.

Contrary to some podcaster racers on a certain east coast team, not every Lemons team has the luxury of more expendable income than time. It’s still perfectly financially doable, especially once you start picking up some team members. 4x $200 a month starts being a realistic build budget.

You notice I did not say "dude, you can't do it".  I built our first car with a bit more budget per month than you but same thing...financing it all myself and building it all myself took time (a little over 2 years in my case).  If I could do it all over again I probably would have done at least one arrive and drive but instead I chose to crew for a brand new team which taught me about 40% (crew and driver would have brought it up to about 60%...kinda crappy return on that $700) of what I needed to know going into that first race.

My point was to drive home the reality check on what it costs (most first time team) to get their car ready.  We see the threads often enough as regulars, but did the OP?

well, the OP said he wants to end the procrastination, not extend it out even further!
The fastest way to get racing is race with an existing team.
There is value is building a car, but not if you don't have teammate on the same page and in the same city.

Some of us like the making a car and a team part more than the stupid racing for nickels part. Just ask anyone on my team around lunch time on sunday, we'll all be in the paddock having lunch and complaining about who has to climb back into the back crusher.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport