Topic: K & N cold intake filter: cleaning? advantageous?

I bought a car that has these...
I ran out of the cleaning solution and oil.
The cleaning solution just smells like ammonia....so I assume I could just use the usual household ammonia cleaning solution (Mr.Clean, Lysol, etc.)?
And for oil: maybe just spray it down with WD40?
Anybody else have Lemony solutions to clean these?

PS: does anyone really believe that these K&N cold intake filters are any better that OEM air intake with paper filter? and make your car faster? or do anything?---I have my doubts, and kind of does not really make sense to me..does not seem the evidence is very good

mz

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Re: K & N cold intake filter: cleaning? advantageous?

I have heard through the inTeRwebZ that they work better as filters when dirty (though there's probably a limit).

If you're talking the cone kind, they're like a loud exhaust in my book.  They take a resonator out of a system designed to be quiet, and sometimes they are more convenient. They will not suddenly add +50hp, but they might move 5hp from rpm A to rpm B. Also useful for engine swaps.

That guy

3 (edited by OnkelUdo 2019-09-20 04:40 AM)

I have always just washed them with dawn (usually just put it in a bucket of soapy water for an hour and shake it every time I walk past) and let them dry before re-oiling.  I do use the official K&N filter oil.

Cold air intakes are only beneficial in a narrow band (OEM) deficiencies.  So, yeah, rare add anything but noise.  Sometimes they hurt performance.

OnkelUdo wrote:

I have always just washed them with dawn (usually just put it in a bucket of soapy water for an hour and shake it every time I walk past) and let them dry before re-oiling.  I do use the official K&N filter oil.

Cold air intakes are only beneficial in a narrow band (OEM) deficiencies.  So, yeah, rare add anything but noise.  Sometimes they hurt performance.

Are you suggesting that the intake and exhaust companies exaggerate their performance gains?

https://media.giphy.com/media/GBeBpZQWI2qI/giphy.gif

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

Are you suggesting that the intake and exhaust companies exaggerate their performance gains?

Well, their claims are valid IF you put the stickers on but installation of the product does nothing.