Topic: Legality of a cage

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ydLJi89wHeGH6TE98

Any feedback on legality?

The main hoop is on plates, but located where the passenger seat bottoms, is that legal?

I know that it also needs a dash bar.

Re: Legality of a cage

So, the way the main hoop goes to the floor looks ok, provided the plates are the 24 square inches. The box that the front down tubes go on to look like they might be a little small? hard to tell.

The bigger problem is your main hoop diagonal is not one continuous tube. you would need to cut this out and replace it.

And while not something that I think will fail tech, I am not a fan of how low on the main hoop the front down tubes are, and the same for how low the header bar is on the down tubes. Just seems like the cage builder made it as easy as possible to weld the joints, sacrificing space inside the cage. it would be nice to see the bars meet the hoop higher up, and they could have drilled holes in the floor to slide the cage down into, weld the top bars, slide it back up and put the spreader plates under it and weld those in.

It would also be nice to see the front down tubes go farther forward, to help protect your feet in a front 3/4 impact.

I think the only thing you would have to fix is the diagonal and harness bars, but as always check with pagel

The Cosmonaughts - 86/88 MR2 with 1MZ V6

I believe Mr Pagel has said that the diagonal in this type of setup is fine as long as each element is in the same plane as each other, the hoop and crossbar and the crossbar is one piece (as this one appears to be).   IMHO, this cage looks fine but as always submit these pictures to either John or Jeff at HQ for their opinion.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

looks on-par with most other cages that pass tech. I see no obvious problems based on those supplied photos.

Like cheseroo says, that diagonal is fine/acceptable

Dash bar is not a REQUIRED element. Only recommended at this point.

After some of the crashes in both series this past year, I suspect that "anti-intrusion" bars (to keep the wheels suspension/transmission from coming to visit you feet) will be needed in the near future.

I know I'm adding them to the festy before it races again.

The RX7 that went into the wall at CMS (Chump Race) was a friend of mine (helped do the flares on that car), and if he hadn't pulled his feet up as he hit, he may have been trapped in the car, and would definitely have had foot/ankle injuries.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

Only comment would be to put your drivers in and check headroom. Looks like things aren't as tight to the ceiling as they could be.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

If he fits, there aren't too many people out there that wouldn't.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

I think the front boxs are wrong it must have a spread plate of 24 inch. not a cookie cutter box cut the bottom of the box with a plasma cuter and slide a plate in an weld to the floor and sill. the dig must be one piece from top to bottom  shows in rules I was called out on this in the Beetle.

Whelp, there ya go! You know should have enough confusion in responses to either A) listen to the one that jives most with what you are thinking or 2) abandon all thoughts of competing in the series because the rules are too confusing or iv) email Jeff Glenn and John Pagel at Lemons HQ and see what the guys in charge say.