Topic: What is required of crew?

Ive got a team of 5 drivers, including myself, and then have another buddy who doesn't want to race but wants to be crew. Or probably just hang in the pits and watch. Aside from the $75 crew member charge does he need anything else? I'd assume he doesn't need a Lemons license or a racing suit or helmet, but I'm not sure because even if you're fueling the car you need a suit and helmet. Also can I put carpet on the outside of the car for a part of the theme?

Thanks for the help you greasy bastards.

Re: What is required of crew?

Crew that don't fuel need nothing but the crew band and a mild case of insanity.

Signing up as crew allows them to work on the car. If they help fuel, yes, they need full suit and helmet unless you plan on only fueling at the pumps (assuming your track has them), where gear isn't required. They can borrow a team mates for fueling if everyone involved is cool with the gross sweaty factor, but I like not sharing gear personally.

If they don't even want to work on the car, just be there and watch, they can just show up and pay the spectator $30 for the weekend. But again, can't wrench on the car as a spectator. Can't touch a fuel jug, can't touch the car, can't move wheels around, etc. But spectators can hang out in the pits all weekend. If you think they want to help with the car, sign them up as crew.

You can put almost anything on the outside of the car as long as it meets two requirements
1. It doesn't completely block some part of your vision
2. it's attached well enough that 100mph wind isn't going to tear it off.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

In regards to theme, the worst thing they'll do is make you take it off before you go out on track, but they'll still love it if it's part of a good theme.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

TheEngineer wrote:

2. it's attached well enough that 100mph wind isn't going to tear it off.

For everyone's sanity and safety, please do not use self-drilling screws...all they seem to do is fall out and become tire destroyers.

Aside from the $75 crew member charge does he need anything else?

Wear his underwear on the outside so he can be identified as crew and not a driver.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

Wear his underwear...

That's just one more thing to buy that drives up the initial cost of competing in this series.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

A crew person can be a real blessing. Put that person in charge of fuel and tires. Make sure the rest of the team knows the person is in charge of those items and when asked by that person to help they jump. Crew puts the best tires on the drive wheels every morning, torques and checks air. Never runs out of fuel, talks through with the captain when pit stops will happen and who will be suited and fueling. Stages fuel jugs and everything needed for a fueling, including cold water for the driver coming out. Manages the Sat night work list performed by drivers that have been out of the car the longest.

moparfan wrote:

A crew person can be a real blessing. Put that person in charge of fuel and tires.

A good crew person can...

I was part of a team that had an idiot (the guy presented himself as a racer).  He literally could not work a jack.  He didn't know how to work a impact gun.  When it came to fueling, all we asked him to do was save us a good fueling spot on pit lane and we would be there in a minute - he got 'sidetracked' and didn't (and we think that he never saw us pit as rumor was that when he finally did get there, he saved a spot for about 30 minutes before wandering off to find us).  All the while, eating all the food that was set out, drinking all the cold water and not replacing the bottles.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

moparfan wrote:

A crew person can be a real blessing. Put that person in charge of fuel and tires. Make sure the rest of the team knows the person is in charge of those items and when asked by that person to help they jump. Crew puts the best tires on the drive wheels every morning, torques and checks air. Never runs out of fuel, talks through with the captain when pit stops will happen and who will be suited and fueling. Stages fuel jugs and everything needed for a fueling, including cold water for the driver coming out. Manages the Sat night work list performed by drivers that have been out of the car the longest.

For us you are combining two functions (which we do at away races) of Crew Chief and Team Mom.

Crew Chief owns the car mechanically in all aspects at the track so the tires, fuel, etc you mention above.

Team Mom makes sure next driver is ready (did you pee...here is you water...do you know where you helmet is), helps with meals, making sure everyone stays hydrated and everyone is where they are supposed be at a specific time, etc.  In our case most of them add to the comic relief and/or do part, Walmart, fuel, booze runs.  Does NOT work on the car.

Some times crew members are also the team chef

<---------------

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

RobL wrote:
moparfan wrote:

A crew person can be a real blessing. Put that person in charge of fuel and tires.

I was part of a team that had an idiot (the guy presented himself as a racer).  He literally could not work a jack.  He didn't know how to work a impact gun.  When it came to fueling, all we asked him to do was save us a good fueling spot on pit lane and we would be there in a minute - he got 'sidetracked' and didn't (and we think that he never saw us pit as rumor was that when he finally did get there, he saved a spot for about 30 minutes before wandering off to find us).  All the while, eating all the food that was set out, drinking all the cold water and not replacing the bottles.

Sounds like a pro-driver to me. Was he F1 or Indy?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:
RobL wrote:
moparfan wrote:

Sounds like a pro-driver to me. Was he F1 or Indy?

Pro... Ha. Couldn't be further from the truth. I believe this was a facebook personality.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I was more riffing on the fact that they didn't know how to work a jack or an impact gun but was a racer.

Because can you picture Vettel or Hamilton turn a wrench in anger?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport