Topic: Seat rule question

Hello again,

I've got another question regarding the safety rules:

3.F.1.a General Driver’s Seat Regs. Driver’s seatback must reach above middle of helmet or higher. One-piece, purpose-built racing seats with properly located, factory-provided shoulder-harness holes are mandatory. Molded plastic seats of ABS or similar material are not allowed.

Does this mean it has to be metal?  It would seem that if that were the case they would just say it that way.  What else can the seat be made of?

2 (edited by TheEngineer 2019-10-02 03:09 PM)

Re: Seat rule question

Seats cannot be plastic. Seats can be fiberglass, carbon fiber/kevlar, tube frame, or metal. Most affordable seats are aluminum sheet metal or fiberglass.

Common affordable seats are Kirky aluminum seats, or seats like the Corbeau FX1 fiberglass. You do want to consider going to a full containment seat. It's not required, but it is safer in a crash, so at least weigh the option and decide if it's worth it to you.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: Seat rule question

They mean they don't want to see seats like these that are molded plastic. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1441/3960/products/2000BT_grande.jpg

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)