1 (edited by Fenderbass 2019-10-02 07:58 PM)

Topic: NHMS Spectators (Things To Do)

Hello everybody. I’m a first-time poster but long-time Lemons lurker (creepy, no?)

So I made the terrible decision to use my vacation time to spectate the upcoming NHMS race this month. In all seriousness, I’m very excited to see the glory that is Lemons Racing. My long-term goal is to actually participate as a driver/car-builder eventually, but I want to learn more about Lemons and how you guys operate before I take the big plunge.

That said, what would you guys/gals recommend for a spectator to do before/during/after the race to really experience the Lemons culture? Is there anything I should avoid doing (I don’t want to get in anyone’s way)? I will be bringing my wife and small child, but they are just as excited as I am :-)

Re: NHMS Spectators (Things To Do)

If you are interested in eventually entering a car, make sure you're around for tech on friday. It's usually minorly chaotic, but stand to the side and watch/listen. you'll get a good idea of what they're looking for, what gets people tripped up, how the BS inspections usually go, etc. If there is a lull chat with the judges a little.

The rest of the weekend just enjoy walking around and meeting people. Say hi, mention that you're a prospective future competitor, ask how things are going, etc. NH is decent for spectating. There are some grandstands up the hill overlooking the bowl that I like watching from for a while, the main stands let you see the whole tack, and there are a few good places inside the infield to see other areas.

There is a potluck saturday night. If you want to get a good idea for culture bring some food and come join us, it's usually a good time.

Don't worry too much about being in the way, if you use a little common sense you'll be good. Example, don't walk in the middle of the road around the garages where you might block cars driving around. Or if a team looks like they're frantically trying to fix a car and panicking, that's not the time to ask for new team advice. Obvious stuff. Most teams are welcoming and will happily chat.

We're in garage 16, right next to HQ. Car #92, the saab wagon. Come say hi.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

3 (edited by Fenderbass 2019-10-03 01:18 PM)

Very cool. Thanks! I’ll definitely spend some time at tech and try to attend the potluck.

Would I be able to attend the drivers meeting, or is that closed off?

Also, I’m pretty good with a wrench and a mig if you need anything

Literally nothing is closed off. Driver's meeting is just in/near HQ in the morning. You can sit through the noob meeting friday night if you want. Lemons is cool in that spectators get to wander through everything. Come have fun.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

What you are describing is how I started, so here are my thoughts:

Never been to NH, but bikes will help to make the paddock easier to get around. If you want to build a car, camp out in tech all day.   Pay close attention to failures. Go to new driver meeting and driver meetings. Walk the track Friday night if that’s allowed. Talk to owners of car models that you are interested in, try to get contact info so you can ask more questions later during your build. Watch the driver changes of fast teams. Check out tow vehicles and trailers. Chat up people at potluck. Enjoy the awards. A dude I met at my first spectator race just pulled up in my driveway.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

If not to late (database closed?) volunteer to be crew for team.  This is how I got started and made some lifelong friends in the process...team captain of that team occasionally drives for us.

If database closed, volunteer to help out in a "not touching the car" way.  Cook, play team mom, be a parts/fuel runner, whatever.  The more you can be involved in the working of a team trying to run all weekend, the more you get the full experience.

I am also a firm believer in staying at the track all weekend.  Real men can sleep in a Miata.

OnkelUdo wrote:

If not to late (database closed?) volunteer to be crew for team.

According to the email I got 2 days ago from HQ, the database closes on October 9th. You have until then to register without any late fees, but I think that only applies to teams and/or drivers, the email doesn't say anything specific about crew members.

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

Thanks y’all! Great advice. If you see a weird dude lurking around the track, come say hey lol.

Fenderbass wrote:

Thanks y’all! Great advice. If you see a weird dude lurking around the track, come say hey lol.

You're gonna need to be a little more specific......  big_smile

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

OnkelUdo wrote:

If not to late (database closed?) volunteer to be crew for team.  This is how I got started and made some lifelong friends in the process...team captain of that team occasionally drives for us.

If database closed, volunteer to help out in a "not touching the car" way.  Cook, play team mom, be a parts/fuel runner, whatever.  The more you can be involved in the working of a team trying to run all weekend, the more you get the full experience.

I am also a firm believer in staying at the track all weekend.  Real men can sleep in a Miata.

If you cook they will have you

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

We did the same thing as a team in 2017; mostly because our car wasn't ready in time. We only went for Sunday, which was nice because we got to see all the cars come in and cheer them on, but also a little awkward because the majority of the teams were exhausted. Nobody was mean or anything, but I think you'll get a lot more of the energy and excitement coming down for day one.

Before coming down, bring a lot to drink - you will get thirsty walking around and talking to people. Also bring ear protection, comfy shoes and just as comfy warm clothing. Forecast calls for icky so take that into account as well.

If you already know what kind of car/team you want to race with, research the teams that run the same or similar. We picked up a VW Fox and then got in contact Tom Lomino of Farfrumwinnin who used to race one before wisely switching to the Jetta. We also chatted up a team running a Sirocco and between them and a bunch of other helpful people got a good idea of what to anticipate breaking during a race (that is, if you actually run for more than 30 minutes at a time).

Don't only talk to teams about their cars, but also their themes. Take pictures and post them to the Facebook event and forum. Take notes and names. 

As everyone else said, check out the Saturday potluck and awards ceremony. To my knowledge, there's not much of an afterparty unfortunately, because everyone wants to get back home and work the next day. Also no alcohol consumption in the paddock while the track is hot, which is kind of a bummer but totally necessary.

Come check us out, FMC racing, we're splitting Garage 8 with Squidrope racing. We'll have food and bad jokes. We actually had a spectator buddy up with us at Thompson who was super cool and he'll probably be there this year too, so I think you might have the makings of your own raceteam in the works.

March 2016 bought running 1988 VW Fox Wagon
March 2016 - Spring 2018 Car was on its side with no engine
2018 Thompson Organizers' Choice (25 laps)
2019 Thompson Judges' Choice (58 laps) NHMS Judges' Choice (74 laps)

Thanks Pants! I’ll definitely drop by. The family and I just settled into our Airbnb for the night. I’ll be looking forward to seeing you guys there tomorrow for tech :-)

Fenderbass wrote:

Thanks Pants! I’ll definitely drop by. The family and I just settled into our Airbnb for the night. I’ll be looking forward to seeing you guys there tomorrow for tech :-)

I think you or your neighbor stopped by and chatted. I may have been a little distracted because of course our Fox was giving us a hell of a time, and I don't think we had food at the ready, which I apologize for, but I hope you got a lot out of the event, had fun and plan on racing soon!

March 2016 bought running 1988 VW Fox Wagon
March 2016 - Spring 2018 Car was on its side with no engine
2018 Thompson Organizers' Choice (25 laps)
2019 Thompson Judges' Choice (58 laps) NHMS Judges' Choice (74 laps)

pantalonesconqueso wrote:
Fenderbass wrote:

I think you or your neighbor stopped by and chatted. I may have been a little distracted because of course our Fox was giving us a hell of a time, and I don't think we had food at the ready, which I apologize for, but I hope you got a lot out of the event, had fun and plan on racing soon!

Oh dude i loved your team! All of the Rhode Island Boys were super friendly. It was cool seeing a VW Fox compete.

The wife enjoyed herself and our toddler never wanted to leave the track! We will definitely plan to be at the New Jersey and Pittsburgh races next year.

And i really really really want to build a class C car. Something like a Caravan or something aircooled...I’m spending way too much time on Craigslist...

Oh and shout out to the #92 team. Chris was super informative and gave so much good advice. Same with Eric from 3 Pedal Mafia.

Thanks all for a great time!

15 (edited by BigBird 2019-10-24 06:08 PM)

Fenderbass wrote:

And i really really really want to build a class C car. Something like a Caravan or something aircooled...I’m spending way too much time on Craigslist...

Did you drink the Kool-Aid?   big_smile

In all seriousness,do it....we need more Class C cars out there...particularly the air-cooled part....
(This is coming from someone who 'raced' a Volkswagen 411..... Not once,but twice..)

DO EEEEET!

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Fenderbass wrote:

Oh and shout out to the #92 team. Chris was super informative and gave so much good advice. Same with Eric from 3 Pedal Mafia.

Thanks all for a great time!

Was great to meet you, looking forward to seeing you at future races.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon