Topic: Tire Q's: heat cycling and target temps/pressures for Hankook R-S4

Greetings everybody:

Lots of time on the Azenis on the Kim Jong Elantra. Switching to RS4s on The Shark ('81 BMW 633CSi). We have learned a lot about the Azenis. Hoping to shorten our learning curve on the RS4. Shark is RWD, ~3000#, <200hp. New car to us. Lots of variables we don't know about yet, but I'd love to get others' experience with the RS4.

Several questions here:
1) Any suggestions on heat cycling Hankook R-S4?
2) We are running an autocross before our Lemons race with +/- 20 runs during the day. Is this an acceptable way to scrub them in or heat cycle them? Or should we heat cycle them prior to the autocross?
3) When running during the race, what are the target tire temps?
4) What are the target tire pressures?
5) What cold pressures get you to your target (hot) pressures?

Thanks in advance,
bb

Re: Tire Q's: heat cycling and target temps/pressures for Hankook R-S4

1) Do what you can, they're not real sensitive to needing a heat cycle
2) That'll work
3) I keep meaning to take temps, but haven't yet. 160-180*F is probably a good target
4) 32-34 for max grip, for us
5) We tend to see around a 6# rise in pressure cold to hot.

They're good tires- they last a long time, aren't picky about pressure, and are hard to overheat. Cold, rain, cold & rain are not their strong suit.

Re: Tire Q's: heat cycling and target temps/pressures for Hankook R-S4

I can only answer some of this but Target pressure is what ever gives you the most even inner-middle-outer temperatures for YOUR SPECIFIC CAR on the SPECIFIC TRACK you’re at.

As for starting cold. When they look good hot, let them cool and theres your starting cold approximately.

If you want to know “optimum” overall tire temp, best to call the manufacturer for your specific build of the tire. They change things, and they know what they were engineering to.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport