Topic: SFI rating for gloves and shoes

Hello all,

Potential future racer here, looking for some clarification on the rules for safety gear.

The rules do not specify what sfi rating is acceptable for gloves and shoes.  will sfi 3.2a/1 gloves and shoes pass tech?  The rules seem to imply that -any- sfi-rated gloves and shoes would be adequate.  Obviously sfi 3.2a/5 would be preferred but I'd like to know what all my options are.

While I'm here... what is allowed for helmet decoration while racing?  Is paint acceptable?  stickers?  pin-striping?

Re: SFI rating for gloves and shoes

If you look at the Lemons Dirt Cheap Kit in the Lemons store, I believe it has the minimum required:

http://store.24hoursoflemons.com/produc … t1whel.htm

I think everyone would suggest you purchase better ratings if you can afford it.  The SFI 3.2A/1 suits while cheaper require you to wear SFI rated longjohns, which can be hot depending on where you race.  The Lemons kit is a great value.  http://www.raceimage.com/ has a lot of great used Nascar suits as well.

I have seen people with airbrushed helmets and stickers.  Lemons will put a paper sticker on your helmet at the gear inspection.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

FWIW, SFI 3.2a refers to suits and SFI 3.3 refers to gloves, shoes, etc.  The slash/Number after each indicates level of protection from lowest to highest..  Basically in tech they check to ensure that your gloves and shoes are SFI rated.  Note that they have caught and do forcibly eject people driving with non SFI shoes. They will want to see nomex socks but not all socks carry an SFI rating.  For example, I wear SFI 3.3/5 gloves & shoes.  There's nothing preventing you going up to /20 like the nitro drag guys wear but I think that's a bit excessive.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Thank you both for the helpful information!  smile

..and please buy all your safety equipment from a reputable seller.  There was a fake Sabelt belt set found at Buttonwillow tech last weekend. If it hadn't been found and that team was in an accident, someone could have been seriously hurt or dead.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

..and please buy all your safety equipment from a reputable seller.  There was a fake Sabelt belt set found at Buttonwillow tech last weekend. If it hadn't been found and that team was in an accident, someone could have been seriously hurt or dead.

^---- This. Found a video from 2011 on fake Takata harnesses (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QxE0rEgYeo) that shows the lengths counterfeiters go to. This stuff could easily fool newbies and probably veterans too. If you find safety equipment significantly cheaper than everyone else sells it for, it's probably fake and dangerous.

BlkRalliart wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

^---- This. Found a video from 2011 on fake Takata harnesses (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QxE0rEgYeo) that shows the lengths counterfeiters go to. This stuff could easily fool newbies and probably veterans too. If you find safety equipment significantly cheaper than everyone else sells it for, it's probably fake and dangerous.

I bought fake Takata harnesses AND reported them to Amazon, the seller, and SFI.  The seller was less than impressed but refunded my money.  SFI was...very impressed in a notgood way for Takata.

There are eBay sellers that deal in used nascar gear. Some of them use the”make an offer” option. I’ve bought a few pro quality multi layer suits for under 150 each.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

zakp73 wrote:

There are eBay sellers that deal in used nascar gear. Some of them use the”make an offer” option. I’ve bought a few pro quality multi layer suits for under 150 each.

I used these guys...."ebay.com/usr/raceusedrescued" and scored a sweeeeeeeet NASCAR suit for $199.00

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

I accidentally bought a pair of single layer 3.3/1 gloves. They were initially for a spare kit I put together for fueling. But they’re so thin I won’t wear them. I loan them out to teammates every once in a while, but only after I tell them it’s their call how much they like their finger flesh.

Low Road Racing:  Stylemaster/Mustang II/Sunbird/Spirit AMX

We will not compromise our morals and build anything but a class C car.
"You take the high road, we'll take the low."

holy shit I got a two piece nascar suit in my size (randomly) for just under $175 from these guys
ebay.com/usr/raceusedrescued

Thanks for the tip BigBird

El Capitan of Team Corky
94 Miata transitioning to BRG because she now identifies as a Lotus previously covered in cork as Mazda/Toyo Kogyo tribute then painted like the Queen's coffin
4 time tire raffle winner. (So I got that goin for me which is nice)

Glad I could help...
I'm really pleased with the deal and the quality of the suit I scored..
And it fits like it was made for me.That alone is worth an extra 4-5 MPH,I'm told..   big_smile

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)