Topic: Race lengths

Hello, I just discovered this racing and am very curious and interested. My question is it says 24 hours of Lemons, however it appears to not be a total of 24 hours of racing?

I'm in the Kansas city area and the race scheduled next August in Heartland shows racing is from 10am to 6pm on Saturday, then 9am to 3:30pm on Sunday....

My question is, is the race only 14 & 1/2 hours long total?

Thank you for answering my possibly ridiculous question, but again I just discovered this type of racing.

Re: Race lengths

There are a few 24 hour races each year at different locations.

24hrs of Lemons

is a play on

The 24 hours at Le Mans

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

Plus, true 24 hour races are terrible.  Mostly. The current format is way more fun

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Madhtter wrote:

My question is it says 24 hours of Lemons, however it appears to not be a total of 24 hours of racing? ...My question is, is the race only 14 & 1/2 hours long total?

That is correct.

As the earlier responses indicated, there are a few "true" 24-hour races in the series, which is to say one continuous 24-hour event without a break, but nearly every race is instead broken into two parts on consecutive days (although it is still only one race, just with an overnight pause). For these races the total number of racing hours may vary somewhat but is pretty consistently less than 24 hours. Eight hours on the first day and somewhat less than eight hours on the second day is typical.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I did the Chump 24 at Nelson Ledges.

I fed the team, and the car for the entire race.

Started at 6 AM making breakfast. Race started at 10.
Lunch just after noon.
Dinner at 6:30 (but it was in a crockpot and we kept it hot through the night).

Race ended at 10 AM. Gas every 2.

Packed up and out by noon.

Home at 2PM.

Tired but ok. Don't know if I'll do another like that.

The car owner fell asleep on the way home and totaled his truck and trailer. The car did survive.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

Sonic wrote:

Plus, true 24 hour races are AWESOME.  Mostly. The current format is way more profitable for the organizers

FTFY

Thanks everyone for your feedback, much appreciated!

Spank wrote:
Sonic wrote:

Plus, true 24 hour races are AWESOME.  Mostly. The current format is way more profitable for the organizers

FTFY

Though your last statement is certainly true, I am another that hates, and will never again be involved in, a true 24 hour race with Lemons.  These races are the only vacations I give myself because I get to spend time with like-minded idiots for almost 4 days straight.  This includes paddock parties, potlucks and the roving paddock party/crawl Friday and Saturday night.  Almost all of that is gone on true 24.

Seems like the NJ race is now down to 14 hours total...bummer
I'm not sure why, but probably has something to do with the HooptieCon Concours event coinciding...
Seems to me they would still be able to start a half our earlier...

My Christmas wish is for a Lemons 24 hours race spread over 2 days...two 12 hour runs over the weekend...
You could run it so in includes beautiful sunsets, sunrise, and night driving...and still have time to eat, sleep, and be merry...!

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

OnkelUdo wrote:
Spank wrote:
Sonic wrote:

FTFY

Though your last statement is certainly true, I am another that hates, and will never again be involved in, a true 24 hour race with Lemons.  These races are the only vacations I give myself because I get to spend time with like-minded idiots for almost 4 days straight.  This includes paddock parties, potlucks and the roving paddock party/crawl Friday and Saturday night.  Almost all of that is gone on true 24.

Same, I'm full up on racing around hour 5 or so of day 1. What I want is to have a good time, and a 24 is NOT a good time, it's just work.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

True 24s suck. Of course I've done most of them, but they are very different than the standard weekend.
The 'way more profitable for the organizers' line is not true, true 24s are quite a bit more expensive to put on from a staffing standpoint.

The "~15-1/2 Hrs of Lemons" is the best format IMHO.

Volvo PV544 (RIP) - now with Chevy 3.9 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

X-args wrote:

True 24s suck. Of course I've done most of them, but they are very different than the standard weekend.
The 'way more profitable for the organizers' line is not true, true 24s are quite a bit more expensive to put on from a staffing standpoint.

The "~15-1/2 Hrs of Lemons" is the best format IMHO.

Too much eggnog?

How about  6 hours of Lemons?   A one-day event.   If you have 2 days of travel, that would suck, but if you have 1.5 hour drive to the track?

I dig the 24 hour races.
Also enjoyed the straight 14 hour race we did at Joliet a few years ago, started at 10am finished at midnight. It gave those that want to race int he dark an opportunity to do so and still had a party Saturday night and all day Sunday to get home.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

nimblemotorsports wrote:

How about  6 hours of Lemons?   A one-day event.

There was the single-day Sears (Even More) Pointless in 2013 on the Monday following a regular race and the NASA, We Have a Problem 2-Hour Sprint in 2014. I don't know why HQ hasn't done something like either of these again.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Brett85p wrote:

Also enjoyed the straight 14 hour race we did at Joliet a few years ago, started at 10am finished at midnight. It gave those that want to race int he dark an opportunity to do so and still had a party Saturday night and all day Sunday to get home.

I also enjoyed the one day, 14 hour race.  Would love to see it happen again someday ( but make it 15 hours, please ).

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing