Topic: Preventing holes in shoes

The right side of my right shoe tends to rub against the transmission tunnel when I drive, which wears the fabric down, particularly along my pinky toe and where that toe joins with my foot.

I was hoping to put something on the outside of my shoe to prevent this wear and tear. Has anyone else dealt with this? I was thinking about putting gaffer tape or high heat engine compartment tape over that area.  I'm open to any other thoughts. (Cue the "don't rest your foot there" suggestions.)

I would rather not add something potentially flammable on my shoe, but I figure it's better than getting closer and closer to wearing a hole all the way through the shoe.

Re: Preventing holes in shoes

Clue a patch of leather there.  Your shoe is already made with real leather.

What about putting something on the transmission tunnel instead?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Rivet a thin piece of delrin to the tunnel

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

5 (edited by kornfeld 2019-11-17 09:59 PM)

I usually drive with the same team, but am an arriver-and-driver at least once or twice a year (if not more), so I can't rely on changing the car itself.

As far as gluing something onto the shoe, do you have any suggestions on what glue to use? Seems like something like this or this might work.

Your shoe is currently almost certainly put together with barge cement. Sticks to leather, sticks to rubber, sticks to fabric, and sticks to that cardboard they make some parts of shoes out of.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I grabbed some leather and some shoe adhesive....we'll see how it goes!

Follow up....I ended up purchasing these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JB … &psc=1

They seemed perfect (a leather patch with pre-applied adhesive), and.....they were!  The adhesive stuck very well onto the suede/leather part of my shoes and stayed firmly attached all weekend. The adhesive didn't stick as well to the synthetic fabric part of my shoes, so I just trimmed a bit off.  Very happy with them so far; we'll see if they end up peeling off and sticking my foot to the transmission tunnel.