Topic: Leasing a seat....

Before I had my car,I leased/bought stints from others in Lemon's & Champ Universe.

1) Initial experience (Lemon's C class) was handshake/gentleman's agreement, paid for seat up front.
If car damaged...I pay the owner for said damages.
Nothing in writing, no deposit...jus my word & an understanding.

2) Next... Champ/Chump. Cost of seat plus 2k cash deposit. Well prepared B class car with a five (5) page detailed contract splainin that if car was molested in any way I would held accountable to fix said car.

Both experiences went off w/o a hitch. Drove cars, returned cars unmolested.

Now I have a car.
Reluctant to go the handshake route unless I be knowing the driver.

If I'm leasing my ride to you....
Want video(s) of you behind wheel on track demonstrating experience/competency.
Expect deposit (refundable/2K).
Must sign lease agreement stating driver will pay for any damages while operating car.
It's Racing/Shit happens....

Car owners that lease seats to strangers...
How do you lease seats?
This hobby ain't cheap....

If u b a spelling/grammar nazi...fuck off.

Re: Leasing a seat....

I'm #1

3 (edited by RobL 2020-01-12 10:08 AM)

I'm #1 as well.  I figure it's a small community and if you've screwed someone, word will get around.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Also #1.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Easier to accept #1 if you know the person.  Get to know people.  Or know people that know people.   Learn to trust them.  Ask them to drive your shitbox.  We’re not racing vintage Ferrari’s.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Also #1

That guy

#1 but make sure the goals of the driver align with the goals of the team.  Only time we got burned (a little) is an "A-class" driver we told to run 2:25's for the next two hours and he rips off the fast lap (about 2:00) third time around that day, burns through twice the planned fuel and then proceeds to breaks the trans (probably not his fault).

Well, technically it is "Barber" but I assume Barbers is the generally accepted colloquialism..... wink

We only rent to people we know and we are firmly in the #1 column.  We had an "incident" with our only unknown rental driver and we will sit rather than rent to another unknown arrive & drive in the future.

Additionally, while deposits and contracts are quite common in ChumpCar , WRL, AER ... I don't see you getting many takers in Lemons at that price point.  People willing to consistently drop that kind of change are going to expect results / podiums and I'm thinking you might be forced to build to a level which may put you on the radar of BS retribution.

Not to mention, people who regularly drop $2K plus fees & expenses tend to be too aggressive and they usually run afoul of the Penalty Box folks.

If you are suited for a weekend of herding cats I fully respect and support your choices but trust me, it is a major PITA to rent to unknown entities.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

#2 is a joke. That's a microcosm of why I don't race chump. Fk those pretentious bastards.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Spank wrote:

I'm #1

I read a thoughtful write-up of your expectations (?) for rental drivers, Spank. It covered a lot of ground in this area. Cannot seem to find it now.

I seem to recall it was still a handshake deal but well defined.

—bb

I'm firmly in the camp of not expecting to see a penny if something happens while someone else is driving my car.  If you can't afford to repair/replace the car if someone else fucks it up, then don't go racing.  Like the OP said, it's racing/shit happens.  Sometimes that shit is unavoidable and not the driver's fault.....

That being said, I only let people of good character drive my car -- the type that would do whatever they could to make it right if something happened, be that in labor, dollars, or bacon.

If someone wanted me to deposit $2k and sign a contract, I'd laugh, politely decline, and find a team that wouldn't require such things, and it'd probably take me five minutes.

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

12 (edited by nimblemotorsports 2020-01-13 03:47 PM)

I let whoever pays the entry fees drive my car!  Because it is a $500 car, and the entry fee is $500, what do you expect them to pay if it crashes?    If you don't bring out a $5,000 car to race in a $500 car series, then  you have no worries.  On the flip side, when my trailer broke and we missed practice day, nobody can complain either.

My daughter just returned her borrowed car from her step-dad, because she busted the tail light and they get in a tizzy about it, and I just replaced it with a $600 honda with faded paint and 230k miles, so she can not be concerned if it gets scratched, dinged, etc.  She is much happier now.

13 (edited by DirtyDuc 2020-01-13 05:08 PM)

I think #1 mostly implies #3. It's a talk one has to have with unknown drivers... Along the lines of, "if you wreck the car you ruin everyone else's weekend, too."

That guy

DirtyDuc wrote:

I think #1 mostly implies #3. It's a talk one has to have with unknown drivers... Along the lines of, "if you wreck the car you ruin everyone else's weekend, too."

Yes.

I guess I've been lucky, as I know most of the drivers that drive my cars, even judges!

That talk for us is usually just "bring the car back in the same condition as when you got it"  smile

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

nimblemotorsports wrote:

Because it is a $500 car, and the entry fee is $500, what do you expect them to pay if it crashes?

Where do we get entry fees for $500?

Step-Dad sounds like a prick.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

RobL wrote:

I'm #1 as well.  I figure it's a small community and if you've screwed someone, word will get around.

Not as much as you might think......

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Fishah wrote:

#2 is a joke. That's a microcosm of why I don't race chump. Fk those pretentious bastards.

Yeeeeah. That's called taking it way too seriously. Jeez. Everyone who's driven my car has been a good friend or someone said friend has vouched for (that doesn't need to even be vouched for as a driver, just as an OK person- have raced with friends' co workers, neighbors, Army buddies with no issues) with one exception. Guy replied when I posted I had a seat available.

And you know what? It went great. Fastest driver on the team by far, helped in pits, drove us to dinner, brought great beer. Fairly serious SCCA type who just wanted several hours of track time at Sonoma. I can't have asked for it to go better. This was a handshake deal after about an hour chatting on the phone.

It's just Lemons, it's not a course in contract law...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Troy wrote:
nimblemotorsports wrote:

Because it is a $500 car, and the entry fee is $500, what do you expect them to pay if it crashes?

Where do we get entry fees for $500?

Step-Dad sounds like a prick.

$1500/3 = $500.    i wouldn't call him a prick..some people have nice things and want to keep them that way.  He has a nice boat too, my boat pfft, spill your beer and chips, hit the dock, run aground, we are on the lake to have fun, not protect my boat.

Mostly #1, but I expect drivers to respect the fact that the car isn't theirs to beat the shit out of, and any time spent off track because of their "mistakes" is largely their track time, AND if they break it they help fix it. Conversely, if I bring a car that fails to be reliable then I'm giving up my track time to fix it. No contract is necessary to be a decent human being.

Responses to the ideas below:

- If I'm leasing my ride to you.... - Too much of a contract is going to warn people that you're too serious for Lemons, and not likely to be any fun to be around.

- Want video(s) of you behind wheel on track demonstrating experience/competency. - If the driver is unknown to me or my team, credible references are acceptable. Usually A&D drivers will be known to someone in Lemons.

- Expect deposit (refundable/2K).- ROFLMAO - It's a $500 car and as has been said,"It's Racing/Shit happens...." Most A&D's in Lemons will help to make things right.

- Must sign lease agreement stating driver will pay for any damages while operating car. - Nope, not gonna happen. Good Luck with that. Additionally, if you $500 shitbox breaks while you're driving it, or you get black flagged for running out of talent do I get a prorated refund for the number of laps I don't get to drive?

- It's Racing/Shit happens....Uh, yah it does. It's also Lemons: Rule 1.6: Your Car May Be Destroyed at Any Time: This is racing. Accidents and other unfortunate boo-boos happen...you should never bring a car to the track if you aren’t ready to lose it there.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

nimblemotorsports wrote:

My daughter just returned her borrowed car from her step-dad, ... [snip]... and I just replaced it with a $600 honda with faded paint and 230k miles, so she can not be concerned if it gets scratched, dinged, etc.  She is much happier now.

... and will likely cost her next to nothing for the next few years. Excellent solution.

DelinquentRacer wrote:

Mostly #1, but I expect drivers to respect the fact that the car isn't theirs to beat the shit out of, and any time spent off track because of their "mistakes" is largely their track time, AND if they break it they help fix it. Conversely, if I bring a car that fails to be reliable then I'm giving up my track time to fix it. No contract is necessary to be a decent human being.

- If I'm leasing my ride to you.... - Too much of a contract is going to warn people that you're too serious for Lemons, and not likely to be any fun to be around.

- Want video(s) of you behind wheel on track demonstrating experience/competency. - If the driver is unknown to me or my team, credible references are acceptable. Usually A&D drivers will be known to someone in Lemons.

- Expect deposit (refundable/2K).- ROFLMAO - It's a $500 car and as has been said,"It's Racing/Shit happens...." Most A&D's in Lemons will help to make things right.

- Must sign lease agreement stating driver will pay for any damages while operating car. - Nope, not gonna happen. Good Luck with that. Additionally, if you $500 shitbox breaks while you're driving it, or you get black flagged for running out of talent do I get a prorated refund for the number of laps I don't get to drive?

- It's Racing/Shit happens....Uh, yah it does. It's also Lemons: Rule 1.6: Your Car May Be Destroyed at Any Time: This is racing. Accidents and other unfortunate boo-boos happen...you should never bring a car to the track if you aren’t ready to lose it there.

You considered contribution is noted.

Not all entries are $500 throwaways.

If you are scared someone is going to ball up your crapcan, you are probably in the wrong series.

That guy

DelinquentRacer wrote:

What if the car bursts into flames right before my stint.....?                             ( I kid,I kid......)    big_smile

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

thecost wrote:

Not all entries are $500 throwaways.

As billy bee wrote, I do have some things I've been compelled to spell out in writing because of a few bruised apples. They basically boil down to what is, I think, common courtesy. If someone drives a buddy's street car on the street and an incident occurs and insurance doesn't cover it, I would think whoever was behind the wheel would take on the responsibility to make sure it gets repaired to the satisfaction of the car owner. As car owner, I expect the same courtesy.

BigBird wrote:
DelinquentRacer wrote:

What if the car bursts into flames right before my stint.....?                             ( I kid,I kid......)    big_smile

You THINK you're funny... wink

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater