Re: Chevy Sprint Turbo to debut at TWS, condition yet unknown

obsolete wrote:

TeamLemon-aid - So you just modified your driving style, not the car?  We started brainstorming possible solutions like stiffer front springs or a little bit of rear toe-in to try to raise the threshold at which it starts to slide.

Are you running sway bars?  I've read the sway bars from a newer (MK3) model Metro will fit the older (MK2) ones.  I wonder how different an MK1 is?

I've also read about a problem with Metros on the track is that in hard braking the front wheels like to move away from each other, making entry into corners a bit tricky.  Again, not sure about the Sprint but there's an X-brace you can buy to alleviate the problem.  I'm sure it's possible to fabricate something similar for very little cost.

I just bought a '91 Metro this summer for $650 and did a $100 head repair job to get it running.  I love it but with its loose suspension and no sway bars, there's no way I'd put it on the track!

(I actually thought about running it in Lemons, but it's in way too good a condition for that)

Kudos to y'all for actually making it out there!  Better luck next time!

Any other races in the future?

Basically don't trail brake and don't use the throttle with digital inputs while in a corner(on or off).  We didn't adjust our rear sway and didn't change spring rates or camber between our first race and later races.  We just drove differently.

Having said that, your circumstances may be different.  I think our Metro is actually easy to drive now.  We have cut all the springs, but less so than we could.  Otherwise we would just be riding on the bump stops most of the time.  That would decrease predictability.  The car does lean a little, but it is predictable now (we all have 500+ miles in the car).

obsolete wrote:

TeamLemon-aid - So you just modified your driving style, not the car?  We started brainstorming possible solutions like stiffer front springs or a little bit of rear toe-in to try to raise the threshold at which it starts to slide.

Three of the drivers on the team had experience driving FWD Lemons before.  In my Beretta, lift-off oversteer comes on gradually and predictably, and can be used to 4-wheel drift corners with a little practice.  If would be great if the Sprint could be made to behave more like that, but I'm not sure it's possible with its short wheelbase and feather weight.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Was really hoping this car was gonna do well, too bad it rolled. We were out there with our Brawny Metro this weekend. We have found that stiffer front springs, as well as our homemade stiffer rear shocks seemed to cancel our snap over steer. We still have stock sway bars on our car.

Team Metrosexuals
98 Chevy Metro

TeamLemon-Aid and Brawny:  What size tires are you running?

Team Reynolds Style
Team Turbo Style (RIP)

I felt terrible for you guys.  I really hope to see you in May and things go better!

51 time Loser.

56 (edited by Spank 2020-01-15 01:31 PM)

Bumping because Lemons FB page honcho obviously needs a reminder.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1873 … se-behind/

Ha! Glad I'm not the only one who remembered this.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.